[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes transfer protocol

159628317@excalibur.UUCP (02/19/87)

Hello.  I'm working on a VAX 11/785 and I have several files
which I would like to transfer from it to my PC.  The
xmodem program which we have here is flaky (it doesn't
like the DECnet server for some reason and they removed the
last direct call-in line a few months ago).

What I need to know is, what is Hayes' protocol?  I've looked
in my Hayes Smartcom manual, but there is no information
there.

Is it a Hayes secret?  If not, does somebody know what the
protocol is, so that I can write a transfer program?

E-mail is fine.  Thanks much.

Lar
--
Larry Esmonde,  |    "If I had a gun for every ace I've drawn,
Villanova       |     I could own a town the size of Abilene..."

UUCP   : {psuvax1,cbmvax,bpa}!vu-vlsi!excalibur!159628317
BITNET : 159628317@VUVAXCOM

madd@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (02/21/87)

In article <56@excalibur.UUCP> 159628317@excalibur.UUCP (Esmonde) writes:

>Hello.  I'm working on a VAX 11/785 and I have several files
>which I would like to transfer from it to my PC.  The
>xmodem program which we have here is flaky (it doesn't
>like the DECnet server for some reason and they removed the
>last direct call-in line a few months ago).
>
>What I need to know is, what is Hayes' protocol?  I've looked
>in my Hayes Smartcom manual, but there is no information
>there.
>
>Is it a Hayes secret?  If not, does somebody know what the
>protocol is, so that I can write a transfer program?

In my opinion, you would be better off throwing smartcom out the window
and using any other package.  While smartcom works, it's pretty painful
to use (compared to others, like procomm).

If your xmodem is broken, why not write your own (or ask someone on the
net for one).  I have documentation on the xmodem protocol if you want to
write one, and the last time I asked for someone to mail me an xmodem
program, I got about nine different ones.  The hayes protocol is probably
better than xmodem, but with no documentation on how it works, you
cannot write your own server.  BTW, I couldn't find any documentation
on the hayes protocol, either.

                   - Jim Frost * The Madd Hacker -
UUCP:  ..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!madd | ARPANET: madd@bucsb.bu.edu
CSNET: madd%bucsb@bu-cs            | BITNET:  cscc71c@bostonu
"Oh beer, oh beer." -- Me      |      [=(BEER) <- Bud the Beer (cheers!)