[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes escape character debate

CJB8753@TAMVENUS.BITNET.UUCP (02/17/87)

To the guy that called me USRobotics Courier 2400 modem a piece of junk.
I do not know what the Hayes standard is concerning the escape code function.
But I can tell you this: My USRobotics Courier 2400 has a dip switch (#9)
that controls what happens when the user performs the escape code process.
If the dip switch is set up, the "modem disconnects and displayes NO CARRIER".
If the dip switch is set down, the "mode returns to command state and
displayes OK". It seems to me that if you want a USR to be Hayes compatible
in this aspect, all you have to do is to set the dip switch. Concerning the
actual Hayes standard, I *think* that it is to disconnect upon receiving
an escape sequence. But don't hold me to the ground on that one.

To you guys that say: 'Well, I just tried it on my Hayes XXXX, and it did
XXXXX". Please consider that you might have dip switches controlling this, too!

    - Charles Burnett

berger@clio.UUCP (02/18/87)

I don't think Hayes compatibility is an issue.  The US Robotics modem
is junk anyway.

loverso@sunybcs.UUCP (02/23/87)

In article <...> CJB8753@TAMVENUS.BITNET writes:
> But I can tell you this: My USRobotics Courier 2400 has a dip switch (#9)
> that controls what happens when the user performs the escape code process.
> If the dip switch is set up, the "modem disconnects and displayes NO CARRIER".
> If the dip switch is set down, the "mode returns to command state and
> displayes OK".

This is a carry over from the US Robotics Password 1200.  "+++" just tosses
you off.  That modem is a peice of junk as far as I'm concerned.  The Courier
2400 is a vast improvement - I'm happy with it and am getting more.

god3@sphinx.UUCP (02/25/87)

In article <18600015@clio>, berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA writes:
> I don't think Hayes compatibility is an issue.  The US Robotics modem
> is junk anyway.

I disagree  pc's work well with Hayes compatible modems, and
USR is particularly reliable.. in fact Hayes is now offering life
time warranties on their products... usually companies unsure of the
reliability of their products tend not to do this.  I have used
Hayes compatible modems for years on PC's and find that proper terminal
software, utilities, and compatibility are phenomenal... and what do
you mean by 'junk'??? For the cost.. less than $400 for a 2400 baud
via mail order, it is affordable as well.

Why would many other companies put such an emphasis on Hayes comp.
... profit yes, but surely they consider available sofware and hardware
compatibility... your comment is narrow-minded.. or maybe you've been
hardwired at 19200 too long
--
Peter Godwin                   |      ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!god3
Univ. of Chicago Comp Ctr      |      x9.xpg@uchicago