[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes 2400 -- Courrier

stefan@wheaton.UUCP (02/20/87)

Our school newspaper is trying to send their stuff electronically to the
printer.  The printer has set up a 2400 Courrier (so they tell me) at the
receiving end.  The guy says that he sees something coming in (lights blink)
but I don't get an answer from the computer.  There is a good chance that
something is set up wrong on their computer, but it might be the modem.

I asked them to connect a terminal directly to the modem to see what's coming
in, but it's apparently some special graphics display terminal that has to
have all sort of everthing connected just right, so the failure of that test
doesn't seem very conclusive to me.

Neither of us is a modem expert.  Anything major we might be overlooking
(before I start accusing them of not setting up the line correctly)?  Any tests
we could try to figure out if the modem setting is wrong?

Thanks for any help,

Stefan Brandle                                 UUCP:  ihnp4!wheaton!stefan
Wheaton College                                "But I never claimed to be sane!"
---------------------------------------------- MA Bell: (312) 260-4992 ---------

god3@sphinx.UUCP (02/25/87)

In article <415@wheaton.UUCP>, stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle) writes:
> Our school newspaper is trying to send their stuff electronically to the
> printer.  The printer has set up a 2400 Courrier (so they tell me) at the
> receiving end.  The guy says that he sees something coming in (lights blink)
> but I don't get an answer from the computer.  There is a good chance that
> something is set up wrong on their computer, but it might be the modem.

Have you checked the basics?? parity, stop bits, baud-rate, data-bits,
etc... ???? Have you used the modem/computer as a terminal to check if
its hardware is ok??
--
Peter Godwin                   |      ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!god3
Univ. of Chicago Comp Ctr      |      x9.xpg@uchicago