[comp.dcom.modems] Baudrate synching problem solution

mark@hyper.UUCP (02/25/87)

In article <201@hyper.UUCP> I wrote:
>When dialing to one particular site, uucico fails to synchronize baud-rates.
>I've tried both CRs and breaks.  With breaks, I get the remote systems
>identifcation, then the login prompt, but immediately thereafter it reverts to
>garbage, like it's loosing the sync.  No ammount of CRs seem to help.
Note that this doesn't happen when I manually dial with tip!

{seismo!gatech|ihnp4!akgua}!itm!danny answered:

We had the same problem dialing into gatech.  Their modem is a
Hayes 2400 baud, and ours is a Hayes 1200.  Mostly by luck, i tried
sending a NUL.  The other system thinks it sees a BREAK, cycles to
1200 baud, and voila!

   We also had the same response when we sent a BREAK.  Got the login
banner, "login: ", and garbage.  Seems that the BREAK we were sending
(at 1200 baud) was long enough to cause a double cycle from 2400 to
1200 back to 2400!

    Anyways, try a NUL.  It looks most like a BREAK then any other char.

Bless his soul! It worked!!

I am posting this because others appear to be experiencing this problem.
--
Mark G. Mendel, ihnp4!umn-cs!hyper!mark,  Network Systems Corporation

All opinions expressed herein, even the most arbitrary, are defended by my
employer with religious fervor.