[comp.dcom.modems] Error correction without notification is a road to disaster

steckel@alliant.UUCP.UUCP (02/23/87)

A number of vendors have introduced "error correcting" modems
recently.  I have heard of none that notify the user that correction
has taken place.  Some manufacturers actively discourage users from
using error correction protocols above their modems!  None, of course,
detail the manner in which they provide this service.  From experience
and reading in networking, this is a disaster waiting to happen.

Simply: no error correction scheme is perfect.  If an uncorrectable
error occurs, the modem has only two alternatives: break the
connection, or silently pass on bad data.  Alternative (1) is used by
the well-known ISO protocol X.25.  Alternative (2) is used by error
correcting modems.

A naive user who 'knows' his file is perfect, since his modem corrects
errors and therefore doesn't check his data will be rudely surprised
some day when the local telco surpasses itself in line awfulness.

Anyone who doubts how much trouble a supposedly error-free link can
get a system into should study the ARPAnet (now internet) archives,
especially every time a new link protocol was introduced.  The ISO
networking layers all have the problem of 'you can't know' if any
errors happen in lower layers.

Some sort of education of the world would help manufacturers and
users, but where do we start?

	Geoff Steckel (consultant troublemaker) steckel@alliant.UUCP

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/05/87)

In article <KPETERSEN.12283065282.BABYL@SIMTEL20.ARPA> steckel@alliant.UUCP (Geoff Steckel) writes:
>A number of vendors have introduced "error correcting" modems
>recently.  I have heard of none that notify the user that correction
>has taken place.  Some manufacturers actively discourage users from
>using error correction protocols above their modems!  None, of course,
>detail the manner in which they provide this service.  From experience
>and reading in networking, this is a disaster waiting to happen.

I agree with you premise, but I *think* you're working from a
false starting point. The error correcting modems *seem* to work
by sending a packet and doing a resend if it's munged in
transit. I get the impression that you are assuming error
correction ala Hamming or Fire codes.

The prime bebefit of error correction is when using the modems
in an interactive manner, eliminating the "babble" which so
often goes with a connection these days. It is not a substitute
for other methods currently in use.

It also allows non-critical data to be sent by just blasting the
data out, similar to cu text tranfers. This improves the
throughput considerably for files which do not contain vital
data. I would be willing to trust the modems on a news posting,
or casual conversation, but would still use additional error
checking for sending the draft of a contract or a buy order to
my broker.

Forgive me if you knew how these modems work and still think
another level of error checking is evil.

--
bill davidsen			sixhub \
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen

jhh@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Haller) (03/09/87)

In article <1264@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> In article <KPETERSEN.12283065282.BABYL@SIMTEL20.ARPA> steckel@alliant.UUCP (Geoff Steckel) writes:
> >A number of vendors have introduced "error correcting" modems
> >recently.  I have heard of none that notify the user that correction
> >has taken place.  Some manufacturers actively discourage users from
> >using error correction protocols above their modems!  None, of course,
> >detail the manner in which they provide this service.  From experience
> >and reading in networking, this is a disaster waiting to happen.
>
> I agree with you premise, but I *think* you're working from a
> false starting point. The error correcting modems *seem* to work
> by sending a packet and doing a resend if it's munged in
> transit. I get the impression that you are assuming error
> correction ala Hamming or Fire codes.

See the Febrary, 1987 Data Communications, page 62.  It is possible
that if the software uses the same polynomial that the modem does
that no further detection will be available by the software.  The
case described in the magazine had a modem whose scrambler had the
same polynomial as the BISYNC protocol above it.  It was a noisy link,
and large amounts of undetected errors were being passed.  I would
not trust CRC-CCITT for error detection of that was what the modem
used for its error detection.  Maybe it would work, and maybe it wouldn't.

The point is, when there is a noisy line, you probably want to know
about it, so as not to run into cases where the CRC algorithms
don't work.  An occasional bit error is fine, but an extremely noisy
line should not be used, expecting the CRC to find all errors.

John Haller ihnp4!ihlpl!jhh
AT&T Bell Laboratories