From: hoptoad.UUCP!pozar@cgl.ucsf.edu (Tim Pozar)
Newsgroups: mod.mag.fidonet
Subject: FidoNET Newsletter, Volume 4, # 10
Date: 9 Mar 87 23:04:44 GMT

     Copyright (C) 1987,  by the  International  FidoNet  Association.
     All  rights  reserved.  Duplication and/or distribution permitted
     for noncommercial purposes only.  For use in other circumstances,
     please contact IFNA.

     Fidonews                     Page 2                    9 Mar 1987

                                 ARTICLES

                What is the Story on 9600 Baud Modems
                                  by
                      Bob Hartman, Sysop 132/101

          So,  you've heard all of the stories about 9600 baud modems,
     and  you've  seen all the ads,  now you want to buy one,  but the
     problem is which one to buy?  Before you make the leap, there are
     some things which you should know:

           First of all, the International FidoNet Association (IFNA),
     has created a special committee to study the different 9600  baud
     (and  even  higher  speed) modems to find out which ones are best
     suited for our uses with  Fido/Opus/SEAdog/etc.  The  reason  for
     this  is  simple  - there is no standard (that is affordable) for
     having 9600 baud modems work  over  standard  voice  grade  phone
     lines.  At 2400 baud there was a well defined standard (V.22bis),
     but at 9600 baud the only standard is V.32, and modems using that
     technology  tend to cost $3000 or more!  This price tag is out of
     reach for most consumers,  so modem manufacturers have  taken  it
     upon  themselves  to  try  and  manufacture modems that work over
     voice  grade  lines,   and  then  try  to  get  their  technology
     recognized  as  the  new  standard.  With  over 1000 Sysops world
     wide,  and a user base many hundreds  of  times  that  size,  the
     FidoNet  community  is  in a position which is fairly unique - we
     can help a standard along by deciding that a certain modem is one
     that does the job for us.  In fact, we MUST do this because if we
     do not,  we will all end up with different 9600 baud modems  that
     will  not  communicate  with  each other.  Yes,  it is true,  two
     modems from two different manufacturers will  not  talk  to  each
     other at 9600 baud.  Think about it - if you go out and buy right
     now,  and  the  rest of the network decides on a different modem,
     then you will not be able to communicate  at  9600  baud.  Is  it
     worth taking that chance?

          The  second  thing  you should know about is that all of the
     manufacturers of high speed modems are working with our committee
     to try and make us choose their  modem.  They  are  all  offering
     discounts  of  50%  or more to Fido Sysops (they all learned from
     what USRobotics did at 2400 baud).  They  are  all  working  very
     closely with me personally, trying to get my standard SEAdog/Opus
     system to run on their modems.  This obviously is important to us
     as  Sysops,  since if it doesn't work with our software,  then we
     can't use the modem no matter how fast it runs.  I must say  that
     all  three companies involved right now - USRobotics (USR Courier
     HST),   Microcom  (Microcom  AX9624c),   and   Telebit   (Telebit
     TrailBlazer)  have  been  EXTREMELY helpful (although as you will
     see later, not necessarily successful).

          The final thing you should know  before  I  get  on  to  the
     results  of my testing,  is that this report is VERY PRELIMINARY,
     and should be taken as such.  My testing is by no means complete,
     and as you will see,  many technical problems still  need  to  be
     Fidonews                     Page 3                    9 Mar 1987

     overcome.

     Some Preliminary Results:

          This  section  contains my thoughts about each modem so far,
     and do not represent anything except my own views based  upon  my
     exposure to each of the modems.

          Let me start off with Microcom,  since they are the easiest.
     They have so far shipped me  three  modems,  of  which  two  have
     arrived  DOA.  Without  two working modems it is impossible to do
     any 9600 baud testing,  so only 2400 baud testing  was  done.  At
     the  lower  baud  rates  this  modem  will not work properly with
     SEAdog 4.0.  The modem does not react quickly enough to  toggling
     DTR, and as a result there are many times when SEAdog will send a
     command  to  the  modem  which will not be executed.  SEAdog will
     then print an error message and try again - this time the command
     will generally work properly.  SEAdog 4.0 also will not  properly
     "fall  back"  to  a  lower baud rate when making a call out.  For
     example,  you attempt to call a system at 2400 baud,  but  he  is
     actually  running  a  1200 baud modem - SEAdog will connect,  but
     will attempt to communicate at 2400 baud rather than  1200  baud.
     This  is  due  to  the  timing  the  Microcom modem uses in first
     raising the DCD (carrier detect) signal,  and then outputting the
     CONNECT  1200  message.  Hayes compatible modems first output the
     CONNECT 1200 message,  and then raise the DCD  signal  (which  is
     what  SEAdog  expects).  This  modem also only accepts upper case
     'AT' commands,  while most Hayes compatible  modems  will  accept
     either 'at' or 'AT'.  Having been manufactured by Microcom,  this
     modem obviously  supports  MNP  protocol  in  hardware.  It  also
     supports  the  Microcom  SX  command  set as well as the Hayes AT
     command set.  The modem is quite confusing to configure due to it
     not being just a Hayes clone.  The modem also has two sets of dip
     switches,  one on the front,  and one on the back of the modem  -
     making  for  even  more  problems.  It is also a half-duplex 9600
     baud modem - meaning that data can only be sent in one  direction
     at a time.

          I  guess  that  I will talk about the USRobotics Courier HST
     next.  As some of you (anybody that reads SYSOP echomail) know, I
     have been unable to get two USR HST modems to talk to each  other
     over  a local phone company connection.  I have been able to send
     two long distance messages to the USR Opus  system  (115/500  Sit
     UBU Sit),  but those two messages took several hundred attempts -
     not because of busy signals, but because of ARQ (MNP) disconnects
     (read on).  First some technical information about the modem.  It
     is VERY Hayes/Courier 2400 compatible.  In fact, in the 2400 baud
     testing (and below) it behaves exactly like a Courier  2400  baud
     modem.  I  have  found  no differences between the two when I run
     the modem  in  non-ARQ  mode.  The  modem  also  has  MNP  (which
     USRobotics  calls  ARQ)  protocol  that  can  be  enabled.  It is
     necessary at 9600 baud to use this option.  The modem works as  a
     sort-of  full-duplex  modem.  What  does  this  mean?  Well,  the
     modems that are connected determine which side  is  sending  more
     data  (don't  ask  me  how),  and  that  side  gets the 9600 baud
     channel.  The other side then has a 300 baud channel for  sending
     Fidonews                     Page 4                    9 Mar 1987

     data  the  other  direction.  This is a very nice feature to have
     for interactive  operation  since  the  modems  do  not  have  to
     constantly turn the line around for each character that is typed.
     Unfortunately,   this  method  takes  up  all  of  the  available
     bandwidth of the telephone connection,  and therefore requires  a
     reasonable  signal  to noise ratio over the entire bandwidth.  On
     local connections this should be no problem, but on long distance
     connections with the many games that AT&T plays on long distance,
     it could be a problem a lot more often.  I saw this happen myself
     when connecting to 115/500 when every time  I  connected  (except
     for twice), I got disconnected almost immediately because the ARQ
     (MNP)  retry count was too high.  In other words,  the connection
     was so bad that the two systems took more than 5  tries  to  send
     one packet of data, and therefore they disconnected.  Since I can
     call 115/500 and send mail perfectly at 2400 baud (no errors,  or
     very rare), it seems that the USR HST modem may be trying to push
     the outer limits of the bandwidth a bit too  far.  What  are  the
     advantages  of  the  USR  HST?  It  will work with my SEAdog/Opus
     setup without any software changes  (other  than  my  modem  init
     string).  It is also very Hayes compatible,  and as simple to set
     up as the Courier 2400 baud modem.

          Finally, let me discuss the Telebit TrailBlazer modem.  This
     modem does not use any sort of conventional technology to get its
     high speed.  It uses what they call PEP  transmission  mode,  and
     basically  what  it  does  is  break  down  the entire phone line
     bandwidth (0Hz-4000Hz) into 512 channels each 7.8 Hz apart.  When
     the two modems sync up to start,  they each do  analysis  of  the
     line  quality on each of the 512 frequencies.  Then only the best
     frequencies are used  for  the  actual  data  transmission.  They
     modulate  each  carrier  at 7.5 baud (that is the actual speed of
     the modem -7.5 baud),  and encode 2,  4,  or 6 (almost always  6)
     bits  of  data  on  each frequency.  This can give throughputs of
     18,000 bps and up!  In a normal phone line,  the usable bandwidth
     is  something like 300Hz-3000Hz which would give about 350 usable
     channels,  which corresponds to 15750 bps.  On my  system  I  was
     constantly  seeing throughputs of 15000-16500 bps.  The advantage
     of this method  is  that  it  should  work  on  ANY  phone  line,
     regardless  of  how  bad  it  is.  Even  if only 100 channels are
     usable (which seems silly since that is only a  usable  bandwidth
     of  780  Hz,  and  voice grade really requires at least 2000 Hz),
     then you would have a rate of 4500 bps,  which is still twice  as
     fast   as  our  current  2400  bps  modems.   In  addition,   the
     TrailBlazer does automatic error correction when in PEP mode, and
     because they choose the best frequencies to start with, there are
     almost never any retransmissions.  In my  testing  I  was  seeing
     about  1  retransmitted packet in every 5000 packets sent.  Well,
     how did this modem stack up?  First of all, it was the only modem
     that so far has been able to transmit data at 9600 baud or higher
     on my local phone connections.  This in itself is  a  major  feat
     which  neither USR or Microcom has been able to achieve.  It also
     acts  as  a  normal  2400  baud   modem,   with   a   few   minor
     incompatibilities  with  the  normal  Hayes  way of doing things.
     Everything (and I mean everything except the  on/off  switch)  is
     controlled  by  AT commands in this modem.  There are no external
     sliders for volume,  no dip switches,  nothing.  It is  all  done
     Fidonews                     Page 5                    9 Mar 1987

     with  AT  commands (once you get used to it,  it is rather nice).
     Setup with this modem (for that reason) is a  pain  in  the  rear
     end,  but once done, the settings can be stored and never have to
     be worried about again.  Unfortunately,  this modem  raises  DCD,
     and  outputs  the  connect  message  just like the Microcom modem
     does,  so it does not work for making outgoing calls with SEAdog.
     I have spoken to the technical support department at Telebit, and
     they  are  going  to  change  this  so that it will work with the
     current software available for FidoNet sysops.  The modem is also
     half duplex, and typing a character and waiting for the echo from
     the BBS can be time consuming,  but again,  the technical support
     department  has a fix for this which I will supposedly be allowed
     to try out under a beta test arrangement.

          Well,  now that I have said all of this,  what does it mean?
     First  of all,  it means that going out within the next month and
     buying a 9600 baud modem is  probably  not  a  good  idea.  While
     Microcom  and  Telebit  have been selling their modems for over a
     year,  they are currently not quite compatible with the  software
     that  we have available to us,  and USR simply has not worked the
     kinks out of their modem yet (after all, it just started shipping
     out last week).  It also is not clear to me that  the  USR  modem
     will  work  on  most phone lines.  They have not been able to get
     their modem working on my phone lines, and they have been working
     with me since day one.  In being fair to  Microcom,  they  simply
     have  not been able to get me two modems that work properly,  but
     they also seem the least interested in getting our business.

     Now on to some specific questions:

          If I HAD TO buy a modem today,  and  it  had  to  work  with
     Fido/Opus/SEAdog,  which  one would I buy?  The answer to that is
     simple - the USR modem is the only one that works with SEAdog/etc
     right now.  Unfortunately,  their modem is very  new,  still  has
     problems working on my phone system, and has not proven itself in
     the field.

          What  are  the  prices  going to be?  From what I know right
     now, the USR modem lists for $995,  and they will sell it to Fido
     Sysops  for  $495.  The Microcom price has not been set yet.  The
     Telebit TrailBlazer lists for $1345,  and they will give  us  50%
     off  for  a  price  of $675.  Included for no extra charge is the
     2400 baud option which normally would add $100 to their price.

          Which modem do other people seem to like?  This  is  a  hard
     one.  I  have  seen  many  people choose Microcom,  because until
     recently Telebit did not agressively market their modem,  and  it
     was  also  marketed  under  the name FastLink by another company.
     That is all changing now,  and Telebit is committed to being more
     competetive   (hence   their  offer  for  FidoNet  Sysops).   The
     TrailBlazer has recently been named the PC  Magazine  Product  of
     the year, and has been reviewed very favorably by Digital Review,
     Mini-Micro Systems,  Popular Science, Network World, PC-Week, and
     Infoworld.  Both USR and Telebit have applied to  CCITT  to  have
     their  technology  recognized  as the standard for 9600 baud data
     transmission over voice grade phone lines.
     Fidonews                     Page 6                    9 Mar 1987

          If I was going to buy a 9600 baud modem for high speed  file
     transfers,  rather than BBS use, which would it be?  In this case
     I would  undoubtedly  choose  the  Telebit  TrailBlazer.  It  was
     designed for that purpose, and it is the only modem that can send
     data  at baud rates exceeding 9600 baud.  Actually,  the Microcom
     can do some data compression to get up above  9600  baud,  but  I
     have  yet  to see two of them work,  so I can't really comment on
     that.  The TrailBlazer will only be faster than the  USR  (again,
     assuming  the  USR will work on the phone lines in question) when
     using a transfer  protocol  that  does  not  require  full-duplex
     transmissions.  This rules out XMODEM,  but Ymodem-g,  and Zmodem
     both work nicely, and SEAlink with large window sizes (20 or more
     blocks) also performs admirably.

          If I was going to buy a modem  today,  which  would  it  be,
     given no other restrictions?  I would not buy any of these modems
     today!!!  USR  has not proven their technology,  Microcom has not
     proven to me that their modems work either,  and the  TrailBlazer
     does not currently work with Fido/Opus/SEAdog.

          If  I was going to buy a modem in six months,  which would I
     buy?  At that point  a  lot  could  have  changed,  but  I  would
     probably  go  with  the Telebit TrailBlazer.  By then,  the small
     incompatibilities with our software will  have  been  fixed,  the
     modem  is definitely going to work on any phone lines,  and it is
     the fastest of the group.  The price is $180 higher than USR, but
     right now I would think that paying the extra $180 to get a modem
     which will definitely work is worth the higher price.  Who knows,
     perhaps six months from now USR will have improved their modem to
     the point that it too will work on any phone lines,  and at  that
     point,  the  300  baud  reverse channel becomes a factor in their
     favor.  With that 300 baud channel,  file transfer protocols like
     XMODEM, and more importantly SEAlink will work just fine.

          Which  standard  -  USR or Telebit - will the CCITT approve?
     Your guess is as good as mine - yet another good reason  to  wait
     before buying a 9600 baud modem.

          Which  modem has the best error correction?  Well,  consider
     that the Telebit TrailBlazer can continue a file transfer even if
     you are talking on the same line.  It won't just  retransmit  the
     data  that  is in error,  it will actually send a large number of
     packets that won't have any errors in them anyway!  Call  it  the
     "whistle test" if you will, but imaging seeing your file transfer
     continue at about 50% of its normal speed while you are whistling
     into the phone.  Enough said?

          Anything else I should know about these modems?  Well, there
     is a lot more to know, but I just can't provide the answers right
     now.  Some things I do know that might be important are:

     1. USR  is  giving  a  30  day money back guarantee to Sysops who
        purchase the modem - please,  make sure that if your modem (if
        you  have  already  ordered  one) arrives and does not seem to
        work,  be sure to return  it  for  a  full  refund!  Don't  be
        bashful about this,  because it is your money.  The IFNA Board
     Fidonews                     Page 7                    9 Mar 1987

        of Directors,  and Ken Kaplan in particular  argued  long  and
        hard  for this provision,  because of the problems that I have
        been having with the modems that USR sent to me for testing.

     2. The people to contact about these modems are:

          USR      - Wes Cowell      - (800) 342-5877
          Telebit  - Bruce Blain     - (617) 263-9449
          Microcom - Victor Forgetta - (800) 822-8224

     3. USR and Telebit will both be advertising heavily in the coming
        months.  Try to read the ads, and note important figures.  Ask
        questions.  I will answer any questions sent to my board,  and
        if I don't know the answer,  then I will find out from someone
        who does know the answer.

          Well, that about covers it for this issue of Fidonews.  As I
     said at the start of this article,  this is by no means  a  final
     evaluation,  just a first step.  It was prompted by the fact that
     people were blindly buying 9600 baud modems without having all of
     the facts (not that you do now,  but you hopefully are at least a
     little bit more informed).

     - Bob Hartman -
     Sysop, the UN*X Gateway
     SEAdog/Opus Node 132/101

From Bob Tue Mar 10 10:24:14 1987
From: Bob Hartman
Newsgroups: mod.mag.fidonet
Subject: FidoNews Replies
Date: 10 Mar 87 18:24:14 GMT
Sender: pozar@hoptoad.uucp

Date: Mon  9 Mar 87 15:49
From: Bob Hartman, Net 1014 Node 1,  Spark Software,  Nashua NH
To:   All, Net 125 Node 406, KLOK-FM BBS, San Francisco CA
Subj: 9600 bps modem article

Well, it seems that Thom and I did not coordinate this too
well.  The article which appeared in this week's FidoNews was
not the final one that I wrote.  The only sections that were
incorrect dealt with the Telebit TrailBlazer modem.

In the article that was published, it mentions that this modem
"raises DCD, then outputs the connect message", and that this
is incompatible with SEAdog.  The engineering department at
Telebit heard of this, and sent me new firmware that changed
that part of the modem, and with this new firmware, the modem
did in fact work correctly with SEAdog.  That of course also
changes the answers to a couple of questions that are at the
end of the article.  In particular, the question about which
modem should be bought if one had to be bought right now.  The
article states that the only viable contender is USR, but that
is no longer true.  The Telebit TrailBlazer will also work
with SEAdog, and the next release of Opus will also have
support for the CONNECT FAST message that the TrailBlazer
generates.  The parts of the article that deal with
incompatibility with the Telebit TrailBlazer and current
network software should be revised to read that the modems
currently shipped exhibit these flaws, but new firmware is
developed and has been tested and it does work with the
current network software.

Also left out of the article were network addresses for two of
the vendors:

 USRobotics - Noah Gregoropolous 115/500
 Telebit    - Bruce Blain        132/101
 Microcom   - not reachable via FidoNet

I am very sorry that the incorrect version of the article was
sent out, but mistakes get made by everyone.

- Bob -

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (03/16/87)

:     favor.  With that 300 baud channel,  file transfer protocols like
:     XMODEM, and more importantly SEAlink will work just fine.

The 300 bps reverse channel isn't the same as that on a 103 modem, which
uses a relatively wide bandwidth in the prime segment of the phone
line's bandpass to acheive a low error rate.

The reverse channel is used for management of the error correction
protocol used by the modems, and is not immediately available to send
user's data as it is with a 103 modem.  The end result (with repect to
turnaround delays) would resemble an MNP modem operating at 450 bps, and
would not give the expected throughput.

So don't throw away your ZMODEM source code.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX Author of Pro-YAM communications Tools for PCDOS and Unix
...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf  Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
  17505-V Northwest Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231  Voice: 503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746 2400/1200  CIS:70007,2304  Genie:CAF  Source:TCE022
  omen Any ACU 1200 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp
  omen!/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES lists all uucp-able files, updated hourly