[comp.dcom.modems] V.22 modem

eddie@dvlmarv.UUCP (03/10/87)

We are trying to do some testing with a company in West Germany
using a 1200 b/s modem (SYNC mode). So far all of our connections did not
last more than a few seconds. The problem here seems to have something
to do with the loss of carrier. From what we can see so far, once we
switch to data mode, the two modems will appear to sync up. But
then within seconds, the carrier will be gone and the connection
will be dropped.

Over in Germany, they are using a V.22 modem which suppose to be
compatible with a Bell 212 modem. We have tried three different
modems ( Racal-Vadic VA211, true Bell 212, and Hayes Smartmodem
2400). They all share the same problem.  Any suggestion on what we
can try?????

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (03/12/87)

In article <704@dvlmarv.UUCP> eddie@dvlmarv.UUCP writes:

>Over in Germany, they are using a V.22 modem which suppose to be
>compatible with a Bell 212 modem. We have tried three different
>modems ( Racal-Vadic VA211, true Bell 212, and Hayes Smartmodem
>2400). They all share the same problem.  Any suggestion on what we
>can try?????

It is my understanding that Bell 212 and V.22 are NOT compatible
1200 bps modem standards.
At 2400 b.p.s. Americans and Europeans use the same standard,
V.22 bis ("bis" = French for "secondary"), but not
at 1200.

However, the Hayes 2400 I think has a switch   for
v.22 or Bell 212 at 1200.

Also, if you don't have to have real-time access, using
a packet-switching network or electronic-mail system
probably has a much higher chance of success over
intercontinental distances.

Mike Ciaraldi
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi
(someone who has trouble making 1200 bps workk across town)

SNELSON@STL-HOST1.ARPA (03/17/87)

I CAN'T GET A RESOLVE ON THE ADDRESS FROM MNETOR. ANYWAY ABOUT TESTING
212A LOOK A LIKE TO GERMANY. FOR A VERY LONG TIME 212A TYPES WERE
UNACCEPTABBLE TO THE BUNDESPOST BECAUSE OF THE FREQUENCIES INTERFERING
WITH SOME OF THEIR CONTROL SIGNALS. COULD THIS BE THE CASE HERE?

STEVE

russell@imtec.co.uk (Russell Brown) (03/19/87)

> In article <704@dvlmarv.UUCP> eddie@dvlmarv.UUCP writes:
> >
> >Over in Germany, they are using a V.22 modem which suppose to be
> >compatible with a Bell 212 modem. We have tried three different
> >modems ( Racal-Vadic VA211, true Bell 212, and Hayes Smartmodem
> >2400). They all share the same problem.  Any suggestion on what we
> >can try?????
>

> It is my understanding that Bell 212 and V.22 are NOT compatible
> 1200 bps modem standards.
>
> Mike Ciaraldi
> seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

You're trying to go the wrong directions across the pond ! :-)

Over the past few years I have sucessfully used V.22 modems to dial
into Bell 212's in the US of A. I have also got a real live
Racal 3451 modem that is Bell 212 and that hooks up to V.22's all
over Europe. If eddie@dvlmarv.UUCP wants to try dialing our
V.22 here in England he should mail me for the number.

| Russell Brown                      | Voice: +44 733 234433             |
| Imtec Computers Ltd.               | UUCP:                             |
| 18 Manasty Road, Orton Southgate   | ...!mcvax!ukc!inset!imtec!russell |
| Peterborough, Cambs, PE2 0UP, UK   | EMAIL: russell@imtec.co.uk        |