[comp.dcom.modems] Multiplexor Advice

jgb@medivax.UUCP (J. Grant Bristow) (03/18/87)

I hope this is the right place to post this!

Our department is currently communicating with 5 remote sites
via 10 leased lines and  20 2400 baud modems.  We are running Ultrix 1.2
on an VAX 11/750.  Obviously, one leased line to each site is
mandatory, but surely not 4.  All lines are normal serial tty ports.

Questions:

    Are you using multiplexors over leased lines?  What brand?
    What speed?  What modems?  How much did the multiplexor cost?

    Any advice?

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (03/18/87)

In article <116@medivax.UUCP> jgb@medivax.UUCP (J. Grant Bristow) writes:
>Our department is currently communicating with 5 remote sites
>via 10 leased lines and  20 2400 baud modems.  We are running Ultrix 1.2
>on an VAX 11/750.  Obviously, one leased line to each site is
>mandatory, but surely not 4.  All lines are normal serial tty ports.
>
>Questions:
>
>    Are you using multiplexors over leased lines?  What brand?
>    What speed?  What modems?  How much did the multiplexor cost?
>
>    Any advice?

   I am also interested in any information concering multiplexors.  Our
radio station is tied with our sister station in San Jose through a T1 carrier.
I have one extra channel that I wish to plug a multiplexor into.  The unit is
built by Rockwell (you know, the shuttle Chalenger people).  Its compatible
with units built by Coastcom.  I'm interested in multiplexing 6 9600b/s paths
(6*9600=56000).  Any suggestions out there?  Has any one had any problems I
should look for?
                 Thanks
                  Tim

--
        Tim Pozar
UUCP    pozar@hoptoad.UUCP

howard@cos.COM (Howard Berkowitz) (03/19/87)

In article <116@medivax.UUCP>, jgb@medivax.UUCP (J. Grant Bristow) writes:
> Our department is currently communicating with 5 remote sites
> via 10 leased lines and  20 2400 baud modems.  We are running Ultrix 1.2
> on an VAX 11/750.  Obviously, one leased line to each site is
> mandatory, but surely not 4.  All lines are normal serial tty ports.
>
> Questions:
>     Are you using multiplexors over leased lines?  What brand?
>     What speed?  What modems?  How much did the multiplexor cost?
>     Any advice?

I've run multiplexers (GDC, Codex, Vidar, Micom, Timeplex, Bridge, DEC,
etc.) and related technologies on lines from 2400 BPS
to 10 megabits.  There is no general answer to what multiplexer is
best.  Just think of the various types that are available for wide
area (i.e., using long-haul telephone-based transmission, rather
than campus or LAN wiring):  statistical, fixed bit-interleaved,
fixed character-interleaved, etc.  X.25 PAD's also can be very
effective multiplexers.

To give you more help, I need more information:
    How far are the remote sites from the host?   There may
  be some viable alternatives between LAN and telephone multiplex
  technologies, such as limited distance modems.
    What speeds and protocols are used by the terminals?  What
  sort of applications (e.g., do they receive lots of reports
  back which have lots of blanks which could be suppressed by
  an intelligent multiplexer)?
    Do the terminals ever need connectivity to other than the
  VAX?  If they do, you variously may need dial-out ports on
  the VAX or X.25 may be a better solution than standard
  multiplexing.

Howard C. Berkowitz
(703) 848-2100 (office)
(703) 998-5017 (home)

howard@cos.COM (Howard Berkowitz) (03/19/87)

>    I am also interested in any information concering multiplexors.  Our
> radio station is tied with our sister station in San Jose through a T1 carrier.
> I have one extra channel that I wish to plug a multiplexor into.  The unit is
> built by Rockwell (you know, the shuttle Chalenger people).  Its compatible
> with units built by Coastcom.  I'm interested in multiplexing 6 9600b/s paths
> (6*9600=56000).  Any suggestions out there?  Has any one had any problems I
> should look for?

I'm unclear if your extra channel is another T1 or a "56" KBPS channel.
(The 1.544 MBPS rate, technically, is a DS1 signal, while its subrate
64 KBPS channels, often bit-stuffed to 56KBPS transparency, are DS0.
"T1", technically, is the Bell System (or nonsystem) code for DS1
signals over repeatered twisted pair, as opposed to other transmission
media such as microwave or fiber).

If your channel is DS0, you're going in the right direction; it's much
cheaper to use 2-stage multiplexing to get a relatively slow speed
(in DS1 terms) such as 9600 BPS.

You rarely want an intelligent (statistical) multiplexer on DS1;
your approach to engineering the system should assume transmission
speed is essentially free.  A fixed-slot bit-interleaved multiplexer
usually is best (see GDC, Timeplex, etc.).

If you are not running synchronous protocols on the 9600, my recommendations
are likely to change.  Let me know what you are running and I'll try
to help.

When buying the mux, be sure your mux vendor works with you and the
T1 mux people to understand where all the clocks are coming from, and
how they stay locked to each other.  This can be nontrivial.

Howard Berkowitz
(703) 848-2100.

dricej@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson) (03/19/87)

We have a fairly large multiplexor-based network at DRI.  We use Infotron
muxes.  We also use Infotron equipment for PADs and switching.  I'm not a
datacom guy, so I couldn't tell you details on their operation.  However,
the only real problems we've had with them (at least at the application
level) is some lack of remote configurability (by the application).

Codex also makes a whole line of muxes, I believe.
--
Craig Jackson
UUCP: {harvard!axiom,linus!axiom,ll-xn}!drilex!dricej