[comp.dcom.modems] Penril modems for dialups

romain@pyrnj.UUCP (03/26/87)

I have a friend who wound up with a bunch of Penril smart modems (no
docs) that he's now trying to use for dialups.  The problem is that
these modems don't seem to have a configuration suitable for dialup
use.  When init opens the line, the Penril will assert DCD, allowing
getty to run, which in turn starts a cycle of login: vs. Penril battles,
since the Penril echoes everything back and tries to interpret each
character as something from its command set.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks...
--
Romain Kang		{allegra,cmcl2,mirror,pyramid,rutgers}!pyrnj!romain
Pyramid Technology Corp. / 10 Woodbridge Center. Dr / Woodbridge, NJ  07095

"Eggheads unite! You have nothing to lose but your yolks!" -Adlai Stevenson

merlyn@avalon.UUCP (03/30/87)

In article <531@pyrnj.uucp>, romain@pyrnj.uucp (Romain Kang) writes:
> I have a friend who wound up with a bunch of Penril smart modems...
> ...these modems don't seem to have a configuration suitable for dialup
> use.  When init opens the line, the Penril will assert DCD, allowing
> getty to run, which in turn starts a cycle of login: vs. Penril battles,
> since the Penril echoes everything back and tries to interpret each
> character as something from its command set.

Most auto-dial modems present this problem. We've used two solutions:

	- Use the ``Honey-DAN-BER'' UUCP. It adds an option
	  to the getty (really /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty) that keeps
	  the login: message from being printed until at least
	  one character comes in. Since most auto-dial modems
	  are also mute until they see incoming data, this generally
	  prevents the problem. (It does work with Penrils).

	- Set the initial getty speed to 9600 baud. The login: message,
	  if short enough, will not produce a recognizable byte,
	  keeping the modem from responding.

Either solution requires incoming calls to begin with an extra
carriage return or two, to either get the uugetty program to
prompt for login, or to get the regular getty program to cycle
to the correct baud rate.

			Steve Humphrey
			AT&T
			ihnp4!avalon!merlyn

joe@auspyr.UUCP (04/01/87)

in article <519@avalon.UUCP>, merlyn@avalon.UUCP says:

> In article <531@pyrnj.uucp>, romain@pyrnj.uucp (Romain Kang) writes:
>> I have a friend who wound up with a bunch of Penril smart modems...
>> ...these modems don't seem to have a configuration suitable for dialup
>> use.  When init opens the line, the Penril will assert DCD, allowing
>> getty to run, which in turn starts a cycle of login: vs. Penril battles,
>> since the Penril echoes everything back and tries to interpret each
>> character as something from its command set.

(Below information applies only to 4.2 BSD ...)

One fast way is to have getty think the modem is a micom port selector...
In this way, getty won't even bother to send out the login prompt until
a string in the format of Bxxxx is recieved (Eg: B1200, B300, etc) or
nothing but CRs.; this is hard-coded in /etc/getty. Here is what I do:

	/etc/ttys:
		13ttyxx

	/etc/gettytab:

		3|pen1200:\
			:ap:fd#0:hc@:sp#1200:to#60:ps:
		default:\
			:ap:fd#0:im=\r\n\r\nAustec (%h) -- Pyramid 90x:sp#1200:

Sequence of events:

	init starts getty on ttyxx
	getty listens for string<cr>[string<cr>] at 1200 baud or speed
		defined in gettytab "3" entry (example above)...
	UPON receiving string<cr>, getty sets line parameters to gettytab entry
		of "default" but sets speed to string<cr> if string is in
		pattern of B[0-9]*$; otherwise, speed in "default" entry
		is used.
	getty sends start-up message and login: prompt and waits for
		characters or times out.

This works perfect for our Penril modems with the exception that a user
must send two CRs before betting a login: prompt.

--
"No matter      Joe Angelo, Sr. Sys. Engineer @ Austec, Inc., San Jose, CA.
where you go,   ARPA: aussjo!joe@lll-tis-b.arpa       PHONE: [408] 279-5533