[comp.dcom.modems] secure modems

jim@b-mrda.UUCP (04/11/87)

I'm considering buying some secure modems for a system we have?  My
questions are:
Has any one used this type on a unix machine ?
Are there any rack mount types available ?
Are they Hayes compatible ?
What experiences, good and bad, have you had ?

I have some lit. from western data comm anyone have thier 2400 baud
rack mount ?

	thanks for the info.

	hpubvwa!b-mrda!jim
	206 237 0961

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@buit1.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (04/13/87)

In article <220002@b-mrda> jim@b-mrda writes:
>I'm considering buying some secure modems for a system we have?  My
>questions are:
>Has any one used this type on a unix machine ?
>Are there any rack mount types available ?
>Are they Hayes compatible ?
>What experiences, good and bad, have you had ?

What kind of security did you have in mind?  Are you looking for
login security or encryption?  There are modem (actually host)
front-ends that will ask for login/password before connecting to the
host.  Is a dial-back modem an option?  Make sure that access to the
password unit is protected by a keylock or you might as well use
system logins.

	|	Kent W. England                      |
	|	Network & Systems Engineering Group  |
	|	Boston University                    |
	|	Information Technology               |
	|	111 Cummington Street                |
	|	Boston, MA      02215                |
	|	(617) 353-2780                       |
	|	kwe@buit1.bu.edu	internet     |
	|	itkwe@bostonu		BITNET       |