[comp.dcom.modems] The answer to my question on Telenet

tr@thumper.UUCP (04/24/87)

To those of you who responded to me, I thank you.  I wanted to do
file transfers while connected to my host through Telenet.  To do
this, I need an eight-bit path.  One way to get such a path is to
hit <RETURN>D<RETURN> rather than the usual <RETURN><RETURN> when
connecting to Telenet.  This is tricky to type but at least it
works.

Another way is to use a SET command.  Someone sent me an answer
on how to do this.  He said that to temporarily from the host, I
type <RETURN>@<RETURN> and then the necessary SET command.  He
did not tell me how to get back to the host!  If you are reading
this, please let me know.

I also learned that typing MAIL PHONES PHONES will give me a
little Telenet info and a phone number I can call.  This is
useful and I will soon call the number.

SOME people thought they were being helpful simply by virtue of
the fact that they responded.  Even though they offered INCORRECT
information or had not checked, they seemed to think they could
help.  If you tell me to look in my manual, do you think you are
helping me??????  The people who maintain my host pick up the
Telenet charges so I did not subscribe to Telenet.  Essentially,
I am calling "collect".

If you tell me that what I want to do cannot be done, is it
because you were told this or did you read it somewhere?  If it
can't be done, what am I doing?  Am I presently experiencing an
illusion of being able to transfer files?

If you tell me that you once designed a PAD and agree with me
that there are such things to worry about as eight-bit paths, are
you guiding me to an answer to the question I posed?

Thanks to the many who have helped, offering the piece of info I
wanted.

--
Tom Reingold
INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.com

aad#@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri) (04/30/87)

To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.dcom.modems@andrew.cmu.edu

Newsgroup: comp.dcom.modems

I believe that Kermit will work too, if you do a "set parity mark" in kermit
first.  However, kermit's relative slowness with telenet throughput is likely
to be pretty bad.