[comp.dcom.modems] Dedicated Line Modems?

kiessig@mordor.s1.gov (Rick Kiessig) (04/21/87)

Can anyone recommend a good modem for use over dedicated lines
provided by the phone company (i.e. a long distance leased line)?
I'm looking for something that will do 9600 or maybe 19200.  Thanks,

Rick

SNELSON@STL-HOST1.ARPA.UUCP (04/22/87)

RICK:
WE HAVE HAD GREAT SUCCESS WITH GANDALF, RACAL-MILGO, CODEX AND PARADYNE
AT 9600 AND WITH CODEX AT 14,400. CODEX AND PARADYNE ARE OFFERRING 19,000
BUT I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING MUCH ABOUT THEM EXCEPT THE TRUE THROUGHPUT
OF ONE IS REALLY ONLY 16,000. WHICH I DON'T REMEMBER. YOU MAY WANT
TO LOOK AT SIMPLEX DATAMIZER SERIES. IT DOES DATA COMPRESSION AND ON
BISYNC SIGNALS NOW GUARENTEES FOUR TO ONE THRUPUT. SOME OF THEIR MODELS
COME WITH BUILT IN MODEMS FOR 3002 D2 CONDITIONED LINES. SIMPLEX HAS
BEEN GREAT FOR US AND I DO NOT HESITATE TO RECOMMEND THEM. CODEX SEEMS
TO HAVE THE BEST SERVICE ORGANIZATION. SIMPLEX HAS AN EXCHANGE PROGRAM
AND WILL HAVE A REPLACEMENT ON SITE WITHIN 24 HOURS (FOR A PRICE-REASONABLE).

STEVE

phil@amdcad.UUCP (04/23/87)

In article <7380@mordor.s1.gov> kiessig@mordor.s1.gov (Rick Kiessig) writes:
>Can anyone recommend a good modem for use over dedicated lines
>provided by the phone company (i.e. a long distance leased line)?
>I'm looking for something that will do 9600 or maybe 19200.  Thanks,

Well, we use (rented) AT&T Dataphone II modems. They run at 9.6 and (I
think now) 14.4. Not the fastest possible (Codex and Paradyne have
those records) but good enough for us and it sure is great having the
long lines vendor be the customer equipment vendor. No finger
pointing. (We also have their network monitor which does line quality
evaluation. It provides both hardcopy and a dial in port for the AT&T
diagnostic center.) We get a lot of cooperation from AT&T when we
complain about line errors. I don't know how much is due to using AT&T
modems but it can't hurt.

If you're using DDS, AT&T has *the best* DSU/CSUs I've seen. It also
ties into their network monitor.

--
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

In article <7380@mordor.s1.gov>, kiessig@mordor.s1.gov (Rick Kiessig) writes:
> Can anyone recommend a good modem for use over dedicated lines
> provided by the phone company (i.e. a long distance leased line)?
> I'm looking for something that will do 9600 or maybe 19200.  Thanks,

	Consider the AT&T 2096C modem for synchronous or asynchronous
application; it's basic speed is 9,600 bps. The modem provides a built-in MUX
for up to 4 2400 bps channels.  The modem also has extensive diagnostics.
	These modems ain't cheap, but they're good for serious applications
where reliability is important.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

qeds@mtuxo.UUCP (e.schulz) (04/30/87)

Some corrections, clarifications, and additions to article <1733@kitty.UUCP>:

The AT&T DATAPHONE(r) II private-line modems are (currently) synchronous
only.  The 2096A has a built-in 4-port time-division multiplexer and
operates at an aggregate rate of 9600 b/s.  The 2096C is a single-port
(non-multiplexing) 9600 b/s modem primarily for multipoint fast-startup
applications.  The 2096T is a significantly less expensive version of the
2096C for the tributary (polled) locations on a multipoint circuit.  With
a 2096C at the control end and 2096T's at the tributaries, all the DATAPHONE
II diagnostic capabilities are still available remotely.

The 2144A has 6 TDM ports, and operates at 14.4 Kb/s.  Several thousand of
these have been shipped in the past year.

All the DATAPHONE II products (APL modems, DDD modems, DDS DSUs, Switched 56
Kb/s DSUs) can be controlled from their front panels (known as Level 1),
from a Diagnostic Console (Level 2), from a Network Controller (Level 3), or
a System Controller (Level 4).  The increasing levels make it easier to
monitor and control larger networks.

Please call or email me for more technical information.  For prices,
availability, ordering, etc. call your AT&T sales representative.  If in
doubt, try 1-800-247-7000 (smaller businesses) or 1-800-247-1212 (larger).

> from article <1733@kitty.UUCP>:
> 	These modems ain't cheap, but they're good for serious applications
> where reliability is important.

I believe they're cheaper than they used to be, especially the 2024T, 2048T,
and 2096T.  I don't have recent reliability data on hand, but I believe the
numbers would support Larry's statement.
--
Ed Schulz, AT&T, Middletown, NJ
(201)957-3899 {at&t}!solar!eds