[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes 1200 and Busy Signal Detection

duke@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Roy Brabson) (05/03/87)

I am assuming all Hayes 1200's support all the features that mine does;
it is possible that older ones do not support busy signal detection.
The way I have mine check for this is by placing "X4" in my modem
initialization string.  This allows the modem to detect both a dial tone
and a busy signal.  Like I said, maybe your Hayes doesn't support this, but
mine does.

rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) (05/03/87)

In a previous article Roy Brabson writes:

+I am assuming all Hayes 1200's support all the features that mine does;
+it is possible that older ones do not support busy signal detection.
+The way I have mine check for this is by placing "X4" in my modem
+initialization string.  This allows the modem to detect both a dial tone
+and a busy signal.  Like I said, maybe your Hayes doesn't support this,
+but mine does.

   I know for a certain fact that the SmartModem 1200's which we used at
my job last year did NOT have any of these features (busy signal, dial
tone, or remote ring detection) as it was due to the LACK of these
features that we began purchasing the Hayes 2400 units, which DID have
them.  If Hayes has since brought out a 1200 model with these capabilities,
I say it's about time!
   Ours did not have any letters after the name, just plain '1200'.
Does yours by any chance say 'SmartModem 1200A' or 'SmartModem 1200B' ??

--
Robert Bickford         {hplabs, ucbvax, lll-lcc, ptsfa}!well!rab
terrorist cryptography DES drugs cipher secret decode NSA CIA NRO IRS

duke@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Roy Brabson) (05/04/87)

In article <2986@well.UUCP>, rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) writes:

>    I know for a certain fact that the SmartModem 1200's which we used at
> my job last year did NOT have any of these features (busy signal, dial
> tone, or remote ring detection) as it was due to the LACK of these
> features that we began purchasing the Hayes 2400 units, which DID have
> them.  If Hayes has since brought out a 1200 model with these capabilities,
> I say it's about time!
>    Ours did not have any letters after the name, just plain '1200'.
> Does yours by any chance say 'SmartModem 1200A' or 'SmartModem 1200B' ??

No, mine is simply a Smartmodem 1200.  In the user's guide, pages 3-4 through
3-6 describe the various commands (X1 - X4) which can be included in the
modem initialization string and their effects.  I guess Hayes must have
added these features after the ones you were using were purchased.

rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) (05/06/87)

In a previous article Roy Brabson writes:

>                                       In the user's guide, pages 3-4 through
>3-6 describe the various commands (X1 - X4) which can be included in the
>modem initialization string and their effects.  I guess Hayes must have
>added these features after the ones you were using were purchased.

   I think you must be right, I just checked a current Hayes manual and
compared it with an old one from that place I used to work.  The old
one just says that you can specify X0 or X1 for regular or extended
result code sets (CONNECT 1200 in addition to CONNECT) but nothing about
detecting remote rings, busies, or whatever.  The newer manual has the
info as you describe.  I tried these on the old modems and they definitely
don't work.  So, in summary, anybody using a Hayes modem: if you bought
it about 2 years (or more) ago then it may not have these capabilities.