[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes 1200/new features

dpz@paul.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) (05/04/87)

There are two Hayes 1200s, pre- and post-Hayes 2400 (Hayes should have
differentiated them with a different product name, like the 1200xr4ti
:-) or something).  The pre-2400 1200s don't have the nifty busy
signal detection, etc. that the 2400 has, while the post-2400 1200s
do.

						dpz
--
David P. Zimmerman           rutgers!dpz           dpz@rutgers.edu

glz5913@ritcv.UUCP (05/05/87)

In article <491@paul.RUTGERS.EDU> dpz@paul.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) writes:
>There are two Hayes 1200s, pre- and post-Hayes 2400 (Hayes should have
>differentiated them with a different product name, like the 1200xr4ti
>:-) or something).  The pre-2400 1200s don't have the nifty busy
>signal detection, etc. that the 2400 has, while the post-2400 1200s
>do.
>
>						dpz
>--
>David P. Zimmerman           rutgers!dpz           dpz@rutgers.edu

Say what?  I bought my Hayes 1200 approx. 1 1/2 - 2 years ago and it
detects a busy signal.  I think that was before the 2400 modem.  It's
ATX4 <cr> to activate it.

					-Gary

dpz@paul.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) (05/05/87)

> From: glz5913@ritcv.UUCP

> Say what?  I bought my Hayes 1200 approx. 1 1/2 - 2 years ago and it
> detects a busy signal.  I think that was before the 2400 modem.  It's
> ATX4 <cr> to activate it.

The Hayes 2400 came out in late '85.  I wouldn't blink if you told me
you got one of the first revamped 1200s.  Another possibility is that
they put the new features in for a while without an announcement,
perhaps for testing purposes or whatever.  They certainly were low-key
enough when they did announce them.

						dpz
--
David P. Zimmerman           rutgers!dpz           dpz@rutgers.edu

jim@applix.UUCP (05/05/87)

An easy way to tell the newer Hayes Smartmodem 1200's is to look under
the front panel, if there are 8 DIP switches it's an older model, if
it has 10 it's a new one.

Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...seismo!harvard!halleys!applix!jim

jeff@necntc.NEC.COM (Jeff Janock) (05/06/87)

In article <499@applix.UUCP> jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) writes:

>An easy way to tell the newer Hayes Smartmodem 1200's is to look under
>the front panel, if there are 8 DIP switches it's an older model, if
>it has 10 it's a new one.

Nice to have something to check...

Sure enough, this old Hayes 1200 has only eight switches.

ATX4 turns on the verbose connect message ie. CONNECT 1200
vs just CONNECT

Jeff Janock - NEC Electronics +1 617 655 8833 jeff@necntc.NEC.COM
{ames, decvax, harvard, linus, mit-eddie}!necntc!jeff

myers@andromeda.RUTGERS.EDU (Scott R Myers) (05/09/87)

In article <491@paul.RUTGERS.EDU> dpz@paul.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) writes:
>There are two Hayes 1200s, pre- and post-Hayes 2400 (Hayes should have
>differentiated them with a different product name, like the 1200xr4ti
>:-) or something).  The pre-2400 1200s don't have the nifty busy
>signal detection, etc. that the 2400 has, while the post-2400 1200s
>do.

One way to tell the difference with later and older revision Hayes is to
examine the back of the unit...  The later revisions all have two phone jacks
, one for line the second for the phone line...  Also if your modem is hooked
up the commands for enabling busy signal detection ar ATXy where y represents
a number from 1 to 4...  I'm not sure at the moment but I believe 4 is the
correct number for that feature...
The new Hayes also support TRUE dial tone detection.