[comp.dcom.modems] us robotics

jdf@pbhyc.UUCP (05/01/87)

Lately I have seen some mail order ads for the us robotics 2400 bps modem
for under 200 bucks.  In fact one was for 179.  That seems like an awful
good price for a 2400 bps modem.  Has anyone used one?  with an apple? with
an ibm compatible?  How good are they?  The ad said hayes compatible.  	Is
this true?  If you have one and have used it for awhile would you recommend
it?  How do the switches compare with hayes? Thanks for the info.

Jack

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (05/01/87)

The USR Courier 2400 modem has been advertised at $179 in some places.
I have had no trouble with mine, but in the modem wars of a few months back
a few people told of getting units that were Dead On Arrival.  Mine is
completely Hayes compatible.  I have used it with no problem on IBM PC's
as well as several types of Apple.  It connects to every 2400 baud system
I have tried it on with no problem.  The reason the modem is so cheap is
because it has been discontinued by USR.  They have redesigned their 2400
baud modem (probably with a new chip set to save money) and have offered a
9600 baud model.  I would say it's a good deal since USR is still in business
and can fix the thing if it breaks in the future.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax

Rick@ncsuvm (Bitnet)

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (05/02/87)

In article <3029@ecsvax.UUCP> ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) writes:

>The USR Courier 2400 modem has been advertised at $179 in some places.

I don't think the USR modem that's been advertised for $179 is
the Courier.  It is an IBM-PC & compatibles internal modem, not
the Courier external, and thus usable on Apple, etc. computers.

--
Maurice Weitman           ..!{dual,hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
 | <this is not a pipe    POBox 10019 Berkeley, CA  94709  (415)549-0280
NSA food: CIA + FBI + Reagan = terrorism   Quote: "I'm not a crook." RMN
Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

rjn@hpfcmp.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (05/02/87)

re:  "Lately I have seen some mail order ads for the us robotics 2400 bps
      modem for under 200 bucks.  In fact one was for 179."

This becoming another "urban myth".  The $179 figure (which may have been in
error) was for the PC-backplane plug-in version and was a one-time only
offer.  The best price I have seen on the external USR2400 is about $350.  I
saw this after having paid $376 for mine.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                            3404 East Harmony Road
[ihnp4|hplabs]!hpfcla!rjn                             Fort Collins CO  8ZailZ

perry@inteloa.intel.com (Perry The Cynic) (05/04/87)

In article <635@pbhyc.UUCP> jdf@pbhyc.UUCP (Jack Fine) writes:
>Lately I have seen some mail order ads for the us robotics 2400 bps modem
>for under 200 bucks.  In fact one was for 179.  That seems like an awful
>good price for a 2400 bps modem.  Has anyone used one?  with an apple? with
>an ibm compatible?  How good are they?  The ad said hayes compatible. Is
>this true?  If you have one and have used it for awhile would you recommend
>it?  How do the switches compare with hayes? Thanks for the info.
>Jack

I guess everybody will answer that, but for once I'll do it too...
In the last months, I was forced to go through a succession of 2400 bps
modems (because each one did Bad Things to me...). I was looking for a
low-cost solution (surprise!) and I've ended up with an USR 2400.

Short summary: It's not the best around (a Hayes 2400 beats it hands down),
but for its price I haven't found anything better. Its functionality and
noise-resistance are (in my opinion) adequate.

Longer summary: I have used one and am using it and having no (unreasonable)
problems. I use the internal version on an XT clone. The command set is
compatible with the Hayes 1200 (no AT&... commands, no stable store,
everything with switches), except that the L (sound level), Y (long space
disconnect) and B (CCITT/1200 protocoll) commands are missing. It has the
extended dial codes (/!@W) (I think - don't nail me). The commonly used
S-registers work, though the bit-mapped ones are missing (so what's new?). In
exchange, it has (almost) the full switch complement of the EXTERNAL Hayes
1200. Great if you run a BBS, rather useless if you call out, but it's all
there if you want it... As for the Real Criterion: its noise-resistance at
2400 is fair but not overly great. I have a VERY noisy local connection to a
particular BBS (probably a marginal exchange) that used to kill my previous
modems every 30 minutes on average; a Hayes 2400 just burped and kept on
going; the USR2400 dies rarely (perhaps once a month), though it sometimes
sprouts gibberish for some seconds before getting its grip on reality...

So, if you're looking for a 2400 bps modem for under $200, I think the USR is
a fair buy (perhaps the best - I haven't found any better). It's the
work-horse type of modem (no frills). USR has run a promotion giving special
prices to BBS sysops, with the result that most BBS systems around here
(Oregon) are using USR2400 modems for call-ins. I've talked (well, written)
with some of these sysops, and no one had any bad things to say about it.
Perhaps that's some kind of an assurance...

I hope that helps
  -- perry
  <<  Perry The Cynic >>		   =>> perry@inteloa.intel.com <<=
				      ...!tektronix!ogcvax!omepd!inteloa!perry
   (Peter Kiehtreiber)				...!verdix!omepd!inteloa!perry

stevem@fai.UUCP (Steve Minneman) (05/05/87)

In article <635@pbhyc.UUCP> jdf@pbhyc.UUCP (Jack Fine) writes:

>Lately I have seen some mail order ads for the us robotics 2400 bps modem
>for under 200 bucks.  In fact one was for 179.  That seems like an awful
>good price for a 2400 bps modem.  Has anyone used one?  with an apple? with
>an ibm compatible?  How good are they?  The ad said hayes compatible.  	Is
>this true?  If you have one and have used it for awhile would you recommend
>it?  How do the switches compare with hayes? Thanks for the info.
>
>Jack

It's probably an o.k. modem for home use; but I would not recommend it for
business use.  The firmware seems to have a bug in it which causes it to
occasionally go into a mode where it answers an incoming call and disconnects
about one second later.  Recycling the power clears up the problem for a while.
--

		Steven A. Minneman (Fujitsu America Inc, San Jose, Ca)
		!seismo!amdahl!fai!stevem

The best government is no government at all.

cquenel@polyslo.UUCP (Christopher Quenelle) (05/05/87)

Hey, this price sounds like a good deal, but I have a question.
I have an AT clone, and I want to be sure this internal card
will run at 8MHz will run at 8MHz.  My machine is not switchable
(a cheap clone :-).

What about the subject in general, any bitchin' cards that just won't
run on faster machines ?

Also, I guess a more general question, am I way off base ?

Are memory cards the only cards that have speed problems ?

--------------------------------  @---@  ------------------------------------
|Chris Quenelle                |  \. ./  | aka The Stainless Steel Lab Rat  |
|!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!cquenel |   \ /   |     Squeak Squeak, Jingle Jingle |
--------------------------------  ==o==  ------------------------------------

sl@van-bc.UUCP (05/07/87)

In article <634@omepd> perry@inteloa.intel.com (Perry The Cynic) writes:
>In article <635@pbhyc.UUCP> jdf@pbhyc.UUCP (Jack Fine) writes:
>>Lately I have seen some mail order ads for the us robotics 2400 bps modem
>>for under 200 bucks.  In fact one was for 179.  That seems like an awful
>>good price for a 2400 bps modem.  Has anyone used one?  with an apple? with

>low-cost solution (surprise!) and I've ended up with an USR 2400.
>
>Short summary: It's not the best around (a Hayes 2400 beats it hands down),
>but for its price I haven't found anything better. Its functionality and
>noise-resistance are (in my opinion) adequate.

I agree. I have two 2400 baud modems, a Hayes Smartmodem 2400 and a USR
Courier 2400. I keep wanting to believe that the Hayes is better ... but the
Courier seems to have less problems.

Both modems are used for dialin lines for news distribution. I don't
normally tell people which modem is on which line -- I tell them to try both
and use the one which works the best. Currently three out of the three sites
which take a full feed, use the Courier as their first choice in lines
(without knowing that it was the Courier).

My main problem with the Hayes seems to be connecting. For example I use a
Hayes 1200 for testing from my Macintosh. Most of the time it won't connect
properly to the Hayes Smartmodem 2400, but I never have any problems with
the Courier. I notice the same problem with other people dialing in as well.

Please note that all this is totally subjective. I havn't really analysed
the problems all that well. Things just seem to run better with most people
dialing into the Courier than the Hayes.

I'm just in the process of getting another 2400 modem. At this point I can't
justify the price differential to get another Hayes and will probably just
get another USR Courier.

I must be a believer, I'm still convinced it's all a hallucination,
the Hayes has GOT TO BE BETTER, right :-)

--
Stuart Lynne	ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

cbenda@unccvax.UUCP (carl m benda) (05/12/87)

In article <688@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP writes:
> Both modems are used for dialin lines for news distribution. I don't
> normally tell people which modem is on which line -- I tell them to try both
> and use the one which works the best. Currently three out of the three sites
> which take a full feed, use the Courier as their first choice in lines
> (without knowing that it was the Courier).
>
> My main problem with the Hayes seems to be connecting. For example I use a
> Hayes 1200 for testing from my Macintosh. Most of the time it won't connect
> properly to the Hayes Smartmodem 2400, but I never have any problems with
> the Courier. I notice the same problem with other people dialing in as well.

It is not the Hayes modem's fault.  I believe the problem is in the software
that is used with the Hayes, and not with the modem itself.  Last year a
friend of mine and myself were setting up an AT in kermit server mode and
a Hayes modem to be dialed from a remote pc.  The problem was that after
connection had been established, kermit (on the server side) neglected to
send the modem (on the server side) the proper connection established ack-
nowledgement signal, and so the modem (on the server side) dropped the call.

What you should do is try and figure out what your Hayes 2400 wants to receive
from YOUR machine, after it answers the phone.

Hope this helps,

Carl
uucp:...!mcnc!unccvax!cbenda

myxm@beta.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) (05/12/87)

> In article <688@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP writes:
> > Hayes 1200 for testing from my Macintosh. Most of the time it won't connect
> > properly to the Hayes Smartmodem 2400, but I never have any problems with
> > the Courier. I notice the same problem with other people dialing in as well.
> It is not the Hayes modem's fault.  I believe the problem is in the software
>
> What you should do is try and figure out what your Hayes 2400 wants to receive
I had problems getting a USR modem to answer the phone reliably for
UUCP connections on a SUN. The software was looking for the responses
from the modem as if it was a Hayes Smart(?)modem 1200. To fix the
problem, I wound up sending the command string ATX0 to the USR. This
seemed to fix all my problems. I still have to send this string if the
power gets turned off and on to the modem (things die if I dont).

Hope this might help.

Mike Mitchell
myxm@lanl.gov