[comp.dcom.modems] Bytcom 2400-baud modems... any info?

dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) (06/23/87)

I've recently received an advert and price-list for Bytcom "Contac"
2400-baud modems.  These are V.22bis/V.22 A/B, 212A/103/113 async/sync
modems.  They're stated as being Hayes-compatible, FCC 15B qualified
(suitable for home use), support MNP levels 3 and 4 as an option, and
include an "automatic retraining" feature said to improve performance
on poor-quality phone lines.  They come with a 2-year swap-out
warrantee, which is encouraging.  I can buy one at a corporate
discount rate of $300, plus $90 for the MNP error-correction option if
I would find it useful.

Has anyone out there used these modems (or other Bytcom modems of any
flavor)?  If so, how well have they worked out?  Have any test
comparisons been run?

	advTHANKSance,

		dave platt

tan@bronson.UUCP (N.R. "Tan" Bronson) (06/26/87)

In article <13960@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) writes:
>I've recently received an advert and price-list for Bytcom "Contac"
>2400-baud modems.  These are V.22bis/V.22 A/B, 212A/103/113 async/sync
    I started with one of these a few months ago and went thru several
before returning it. It looks attractive, but it did not work too well.
    The first problem was I got home one night and it was 'screaming', and
required power to be cycled to clear it out. It would not answer the phone
for anything. The second problem was it would not answer Racal Vadic modems
calling in, and they were not willing to fix the problem!
    My next modem was a Franklin FM-2400 (MNP level 3) for $299. This had
a bug which cuased it to answer the phone when in auto answer and a pulse phone
was used to dial out on the line it was waiting to answer on. It took me a
while, but I got new EPROMS and they helped me with some other problems!
    If you get a Contac make sure you verify it works in both directions with
as many sites as possible.

    BTW, is anyone using MNP ? It seems like a good idea, but until one gets
to MNP level 5 the benefit appears to be only a 10+% improvement.
--
Name....:  Tan Bronson
Company.:  Microvation Consultants

zemon@felix.UUCP (Art Zemon) (07/01/87)

In article <534@bronson.UUCP> tan@bronson.UUCP (N.R. "Tan" Bronson) writes:

>    BTW, is anyone using MNP ? It seems like a good idea, but until one gets
>to MNP level 5 the benefit appears to be only a 10+% improvement.

We are.  Some of our interactive users like it.  Others are
bothered by the delays in character echoing.
--
	-- Art Zemon
	   FileNet Corporation