[comp.dcom.modems] Synchronous 9600bps Smart Modems?

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (01/01/70)

In article <55@oresoft.UUCP> randy@oresoft.UUCP (Randy Bush) writes:
:
:Yes, it would be wonderful if the HST (and Telebit) would revert to the EEROM
:settings when the call is finished.  Note that the Telebit reverts to *factory*
:(not EEROM) settings if an outbound call collides with an inbound call.  This
:is usually very confusing to the software.

The newer Trailblazer ROMS allow S52=2 which reloads configuration parms
when DTR is turned off.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX Author of Pro-YAM communications Tools for PCDOS and Unix
...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf  Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V Northwest Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231  VOICE:503-621-3406:VOICE
    TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746 19200/2400/1200  CIS:70007,2304  Genie:CAF
  omen Any ACU 2400 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp
  omen!/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES lists all uucp-able files, updated hourly

rmarks@bbking.PRC.Unisys.COM (richard marks) (07/29/87)

Does anyone have any experience with Smart (eg autodialing) high speed
synchronous modems.  I know of the Hayes/USR 9600 bps async units, but
I want to replace our UDS 9600A/B's with a more versitile box.

Seems like a natural product.  These big modems already have so much in them
one would think a little Hayes type smarts would be available.

Richard Marks
215-542-2139

rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) (07/31/87)

[Line eater?!?  WHAT line ea

   The Telebit Trailblazer (or whatever they're calling it now) does
autodialing and just about every other Hayes command you care to name.
Try calling Mike Ballard at Telebit (408) 996-8000 for more info.

--
  Robert Bickford                 {hplabs, ucbvax, lll-lcc, ptsfa}!well!rab
/-------------------------------------v-------------------------------------\

mw3s+@andrew.cmu.edu (Martin Weiss) (07/31/87)

While I don't have any experience with these modems, I would like to point
out that it appears that they do not conform to the CCITT V.32 standard.
That might prove to be important in your selection process.

randy@oresoft.UUCP (Randy Bush) (08/02/87)

In article <3649@well.UUCP> rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) writes:
>   The Telebit Trailblazer (or whatever they're calling it now) does
>autodialing and just about every other Hayes command you care to name.

Neither the Telebit Trailblazer nor the US Robotics HST are *synchronous*.
They're both asynch only modems.  I have used both, and must warn that they're
not the panacea which marketing literature may indicate.  Each has it's idio-
syncrasies, which we can discuss over net mail, if you're interested.  They do
work, and are quite useful.  It's just early in the low-cost 9600 cycle, and
the emptor should caveat.

BTW, I am a participant in Fidonet's testing of these modems, and would direct
you to Bob Hartman (..!tektronix!oresoft!dawggon!bobh) for a collection of the
general Fidonet consensus on these puppies.
--
Randy Bush, Compiler Group, Oregon Software, Portland Oregon (503) 245-2202
uucp: ..!tektronix!oresoft!randy       Telemail: RBush     Fidonet: 1:105/6

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (08/02/87)

>>   The Telebit Trailblazer (or whatever they're calling it now) does
>>autodialing and just about every other Hayes command you care to name.
>
>Neither the Telebit Trailblazer nor the US Robotics HST are *synchronous*.

Although the original reply was obviously confused, Telebit does in fact now
have a synchronous version of the Trailblazer. We evaluated one, though we
didn't have the means to test the synch mode much. It is half duplex, using
Telebit's proprietary PEP encoding. Assuming they didn't break anything, it
should work about as well as the asynch mode: tempermental but functional.

The Racal Vadic 9600VP will also do 9600bps V.29 half duplex synchronous.

Several vendors now offer V.32 full duplex synch modems for $2500 and up. But
the limited experience I have with V.32 suggests that Telebit's PEP remains
far and away the most reliable encoding mechanism over arbitrary phone lines.

<csg>

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (08/05/87)

In article <54@oresoft.UUCP> randy@oresoft.UUCP (Randy Bush) writes:
|In article <3649@well.UUCP> rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) writes:
|>   The Telebit Trailblazer (or whatever they're calling it now) does
|>autodialing and just about every other Hayes command you care to name.
|
|Neither the Telebit Trailblazer nor the US Robotics HST are *synchronous*.
|They're both asynch only modems.  I have used both, and must warn that they're
|not the panacea which marketing literature may indicate.  Each has it's idio-
|syncrasies, which we can discuss over net mail, if you're interested.  They do
					^^^^^^^^
please post.  I am looking at the HST and need to know (a) if it is a
reasonably good 1200/2400 modem, and (b) if it works at 9600.  I already
have a set of non-working modems, thanks.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (08/06/87)

In article <6900@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@kbsvax.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>please post.  I am looking at the HST and need to know (a) if it is a
>reasonably good 1200/2400 modem, and (b) if it works at 9600.  I already
>have a set of non-working modems, thanks.
>--
>	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
>  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen
>"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

Well, I've been working with a couple of HST modems here. 1200 baud is 100
percent reliable, no problems ever. I've had some trouble with 2400 baud
connections to a few nearby unix sites, but as we don't have a 2400 baud
modem to compare with, I can't say that this modem causes the problem.

9600 baud is very strange. I can reliably connect from A to B if A and B are
both at the same site. I can reliably connect from A to Chicago (USR tech
support) and from C to Chicago, but not from A to C, even though C is only
10 miles away from A. I have *never* been able to connect A to C at 9600.
USR Tech support is very confused (me too!). We're attempting a pile of modem
swaps.

There are a few things about the modem design that may be important. Most
important to us is that, with all of its flexibility (3/12/24/9600, with and
without MNP), it REALLY needs an option to force a return to a default pile
of settings after each connection. Otherwise, there's no way to use a single
modem for both dial-in and dial-out in a reasonable way. For example: to make
a call to a non-MNP modem, you must disable MNP before dialing. But since
UUCP (and every other modem-program I've heard of) has no post-call string
to send to the modem, the modem is left in non-MNP mode. Thus, the next
person dialing in can't connect if they need MNP (and 9600 baud *requires*
MNP!).

The modem has a speed translation feature: you can set the computer connection
to any fixed speed you like (up to 19.2K baud); the modem translates everything
and buffers it as well. We disabled this rather quickly: adding another layer
of buffering in the modem makes it very hard on the poor user who wants to
terminate a directory listing, or whatever! I can see that it might be nice
in some situations, however.

There is one other brain-damaged aspect: the '+++' command-mode aspect KILLS
THE CALL IN PROGRESS if MNP is active (as it must be for 9600 baud). This is
stupid.

In terms of user-friendly other features, this modem is great. It has on
screen help, Last-call statistics (counts of chars sent/rcd, errors, hangup
reason, call time, etc)....

SUMMARY: If I could call at 9600 baud from A to C, I'd be a lot happier. USR
	thinks others are not having our problems. If I could set the modem
	to reset to its defaults, I'd be REALLY happy.

--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014

marc@mfbbs.UUCP (Marc Randolph) (08/06/87)

In article <6900@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@kbsvax.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>please post.  I am looking at the HST and need to know (a) if it is a
>reasonably good 1200/2400 modem, and (b) if it works at 9600.  I already

 a) Yes, the HST is a *very* good 1200/2400bps modem.  It is the same thing
    as the Courier 2400 with even more features, including MNP.
 b) It works very well at 9600bps.  I've made a limited number of LONG
    DISTANCE calls at 9600 and it worked everytime.  I have downloaded files
    from a local bbs with the HST that have exceeded 10100bps.  Over all, I've
    been using the HST for 3 months with no problems AT ALL.  I know of three
    other HST's (operating on local bulletin boards) that have the same record,
    and over 200 Fido compatible systems are running them.
---
Marc Randolph	...!rutgers!pbox!mfbbs!marc

randy@oresoft.UUCP (Randy Bush) (08/08/87)

In article <290@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
>SUMMARY: If I could call at 9600 baud from A to C, I'd be a lot happier. USR
>	thinks others are not having our problems. If I could set the modem
>	to reset to its defaults, I'd be REALLY happy.

Others are having similar problems, and telling USR about them.  They are not
as annoying as the problems with the Telebit, but they are annoying.  I can
connect to Europe sometimes, and other times can not get 200 miles.

Yes, it would be wonderful if the HST (and Telebit) would revert to the EEROM
settings when the call is finished.  Note that the Telebit reverts to *factory*
(not EEROM) settings if an outbound call collides with an inbound call.  This
is usually very confusing to the software.

Also rumors that hundreds of Fidonet systems use HSTs are rather overstated,
to say the least.  Currently a few dozen Fidonet systems use 9600, and they're
about half USR and half Telebit.
--

schoch@ames.arpa (Steve Schoch) (08/09/87)

In article <55@oresoft.UUCP> randy@oresoft.UUCP (Randy Bush) writes:
>Yes, it would be wonderful if the HST (and Telebit) would revert to the EEROM
>settings when the call is finished.  Note that the Telebit reverts to *factory*
>(not EEROM) settings if an outbound call collides with an inbound call.  This
>is usually very confusing to the software.

We have a new Telebit TrailBlazer on ames and have it set to revert to the
EEROM whenever DTR drops.  As DTR should drop after every call (if it's an
incoming call, the DTR will drop when uucico exits, and go high again when
a new getty starts; if it's an outgoing call, uucico should drop DTR when
it's done -- if not, it's broken) we have no problems with default settings.

Having an incoming call collide with an outgoing call is always confusing.
The other side is expecting login and we're sending ATDT....

	Steve

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (08/11/87)

i expect to be getting pairs of hst's and trailblazer's for evaluation
in the near future.  we're mostly interested in them for uucp, slip,
and interactive use.  i'd appreciate suggestions for things to try
while testing these modems.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uxc@uiuc.csnet		Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink:  w hamilton

randy@oresoft.UUCP (Randy Bush) (08/12/87)

In article <574@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>The newer Trailblazer ROMS allow S52=2 which reloads configuration parms
>when DTR is turned off.

This seems to help some.  I am still having problems with CTS remaining
asserted during retraining, and call collision (going outbound in the window
where an inbound has been answered but carriers not yet engaged) putting the
TB in an odd state.
--
Randy Bush, Compiler Group, Oregon Software, Portland Oregon (503) 245-2202
uucp: ..!tektronix!oresoft!randy       Telemail: RBush     Fidonet: 1:105/k