[comp.dcom.modems] Avatex 2400 baud external modems

forrest@blia.UUCP (09/08/87)

The going price for an Avatex 2400 baud external modem around
Berkeley is ~$239. This seems like a good price. Does anyone
have anything to say about this modem (or this price)?

Jon Forrest

ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!forrest
{pyramid|voder}!blia!forrest

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/08/87)

I've had bad luck with AVATEX modems.  The first experience was with
the $89 "Hayes Compatible" 1200 modem.  First, it has no speaker, minor
problem.  Second, the command set other than ATDT doesn't work.  Calling
them up and inquiring if this modem was really supposed to be Hayes
compatible, they pointed out that they use it to talk to their Hayes
all the time.  I guess finally they figured it out because they now
have a 1200hc model which really is supposed to be compatible.

I used this modem for about 3 months and now it's dead.  I've got four
Ventels and a few Apple modems sitting right next to it and they never
see any problems but this thing was always pretty querky.

-Ron

danr@pnet01.UUCP (09/09/87)

Ron Natalie reports in an earlier post about his bad luck experience with
Avatex.. My experience runs counter to this.. I first got a plain vanilla
Avatex 1200 about 18 months ago ($119, I think), and had no problems with it,
however it DOES lack total Hayes compatability.. About 4 months later, I
upgraded to the 1200hc, and have been using it almost daily since.. The guy
who bought my plain 1200 is still using his, too.. neither has died, or even
hiccuped..

I have no connection with Avatex other than as a satisfied user, and plan to
upgrade to their 2400hc as soon as I get the $$ together..

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!danr
ARPA: crash!danr@nosc.mil
INET: danr@crash.cts.com            Dan Rubesh

Snail: P.O. Box 1221                Don't call me sir.. My parents were
        El Cajon, CA                 married when I was conceived!
        92022-1221

denber.wbst@XEROX.COM (09/09/87)

	"the $89 "Hayes Compatible" 1200 modem"

No.  The $89 Avatex is called the Avatex 1200 and nowhere do they claim
it to be Hayes compatible.  It's true it lacks a speaker, but hey, the
price is right.  And it has LED's and real DIP switches.  It only
supports a subset of AT commands, but it's enough for most applications.
One quirk - it prints ">" as a prompt.  I've used four of them for about
a year and I've had no problems.  They are pretty good at noise
suppression too - better than the Anchor Automation Express.  Avatex's
Hayes compatible is called the 1200hc.  It has a speaker, but the only
one I tried was DOA.

			- Michel

ron@topaz.rutgers.EDU (Ron Natalie) (09/09/87)

Nope, they advertised it as Hayes Compatible when I ordered it.  I think
the after the first 100 people who called up and bitched got them to
change their marketing strategy.

dragon@oliveb.UUCP (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you) (09/09/87)

in article <870909-074307-14744@Xerox>, denber.wbst@XEROX.COM says:

> 	"the $89 "Hayes Compatible" 1200 modem"

> No.  The $89 Avatex is called the Avatex 1200 and nowhere do they claim
> it to be Hayes compatible.  It's true it lacks a speaker, but hey, the

Avatex HAS claimed the 1200 to be Hayes compatible.  When it first came
out, at local fairs (including the West Coast Computer Faire) Avatex was
touting it as a mostly Hayes compatible modem.  This was before the 1200hc
model came out.

Regardless, I have had bad luck with these modems.  No problems with
VenTels, US Robotics, Multitech, or Hayes!

--
Dean Brunette               {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon                                    {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!dragon-oatc!dean
                                                                                Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____

jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) (09/15/87)

We've used both the original Avatex 1200 and the Avatex 1200hc. The
1200 was very much prone to line noise, and it would work on only
about 20% of the office phone lines here in the Department. I was
never able to get one to work on my line without so much noise that
it was unusable (I mean continuous garbage characters). The guy whose
office is on the other side of my wall uses one with no problems at
all. We bought several 1200 modems really cheap, then moved them around
until we discovered what lines they worked on and what ones they
didn't.

The 1200hc on the other hand arrived just last week. Two of us have used
it on lines that the original 1200 didn't work on at all, and between
the two of us we've seen exactly one garbage character in the space of
about a week, using it almost continuously.

Most of us use Hayes Smartmodem 1200s at work or at home, so that is
what users typically compare the Avatex to.

--
John Sloan  CSNET: jsloan@CS.Wright.EDU UUCP: ...!cbosgd!wright!jsloan
Computer Science Department, Wright State University, Dayton OH, 45435

mbr@aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) (09/16/87)

In article <170@wright.EDU> jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) discusses the
Avatex 1200 and 1200hc modems, under the title "Re: Avatex 2400 baud
external modems".  We have an Avatex 1200hc.  The person who bought it
says the salesman told him it can do 2400 bps.  However the text on the
package and the instructions only talk about 300 and 1200.  Nothing is said
about 2400 bps.  Anybody know what is going on here.  Do we or don't we have
a 2400 bps modem?
--
	Mark of the Valley of Roses
	...!{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!mbr

abp@j.cc.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (09/22/87)

In article <14550@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>I've had bad luck with AVATEX modems.  The first experience was with
>I used this modem for about 3 months and now it's dead.  I've got four
>
>-Ron

I've been using my AVATEX 1200 (non-HC) for about 18 months now, without
any problems.  I'm using MITE on my Kaypro 2X, and it works just fine
installed as an Anchor Automation 1200 baud modem (I forget what model).

				Jeff Wieland
				abp@j.cc.purdue.edu