[comp.dcom.modems] Capetronic 2400bps external modem review

peter@julian.UUCP (09/26/87)

We recently received one of these modems for testing.  They are supposed to
sell for about $CDN350 retail.  We might see another copy, if so I'll send
an adendum.  My review follows.

Capetronic 2400 bps modem (non-error correcting model)
A Review by Peter Marshall, 1987-09-25

First Impressions

Taking the modem out of its box, it looks like a pretty normal 2400
bps model.  It is a little shorter than the USR courier (my normal
modem) and a few more LEDs on the front panel.  The box is a simple,
standard enclosure, not the specially designed courier box.  The
manual looks rather skimpy.  It is just typed, not type-set.  The back
panel is rather open to the elements and the power switch is a very
cheap looking metal toggle.  Standard parts make up this modem.

The external power supply/adapter is very similar to the USRobotics
one, made in Korea by Ault Inc.  Unlike the USR adapter it is not
labeled with the Capetronic name.  It is three prong and carries both
CSA and UL stamps.

The modem does not carry a Communications Canada approval sticker.  It
does have an FCC test declaration and registration number though.

Set up

My first problem came when (as I followed the quick installation
directions given in the manual) it came time to connect the power
cable to the back of the modem.  There is a CAUTION saying that you
must install the connector the right way up and advises you to consult
the illustration.  The illustration is a pathetic drawing made with
ascii characters like "____|---".  This would not be so bad if the
plug were polarized, but it seems to attach easily either way.  I have
some experience with this type of connection.  I put a non-polarized
power connector on the first micro-computer I built.  After frying an
expensive CPU chip or two, I purchased a power connector that could
not be inserted backwards.  We will return to power later...

My second problem came when I tried to hook up my terminal.  I have a
null modem in my line from my terminal (for complex reasons).  That
reversal is easy to accommodate with the USR courier modem.  It has a
switch that switches the meanings of pins 2 and 3.  Not many people
will need this, but it does come in useful on occasion.

The modem has 4 dip switches that for most applications can be left in
the down position.

On-Line

My usual command for connecting to CCS on my USR modem is
"atx6td6613512".  When I tried this all I got was an error message
from the Capetronic modem.  Upon further investigation I found that
despite the manual, only response codes X0 through X4 are recognized
as valid.  Not really too bad.  I think that all I miss is the RING
message if the modem at the other end does not answer very quickly and
recognition of a voice at the other end (usually meaning that I have
mistyped the number).  The manual should not lie about such things.

The display produced by the HELP command "at$" is very poorly written.
It is all in uppercase and seems to have been written (like this
review) in the wee small hours of the morning.  It is very
disorganized and really does not say very much.  When the "at$"
command is illustrated in the manual the part after it gives the speed
and parity setting of the communications port is shown as a series of
"xxxx"s.  The real thing was not much more use.  The USR modem's help
is a very useful summary of commands in a tabular format.  It also has
other help screens to describe dialing characters and register
setting.  The bottom of the modem (Silly place. Right?) consists of a
concise summary of the commands on the USR.

The Capetronic modem does have some non-volitile memory for storing
one number.  This is a very nice feature that the USR modem lacks.
This allows your most common host to have its number stored away and
you can dial it by giving the simple "atds" command.  The manual never
mentions that you can get tone dialing by preceeding this stored
number with a "td".  It also neglects to mention that when setting
this number with the "at&z" command <back-space> characters appear to
be erasing errors, but in fact are just ignored when you try to play
the number back.  The numbers that I entered successfully survived a
power off.

When I listened to a number being tone dialed, it was significantly
slower than the USR modem.  A small point.

The speaker on the test modem seemed to be broken.  When I should have
been hearing a dial tone and then the actual dialing, ringing and
answer all I could hear was a whine.  I tried to adjust the volume of
the speaker with the "atl2" command, but it did not seem to change
anything.  The whine disappears when a connection is made.

I noticed as I worked that a plasticy smell was coming from over in
the modem's direction shortly after I powered it up.  I attributed
this to the modem being very new.  The power adapter seemed to be
rather hot though.  The manual told me not to worry about heat since
high powered LSI components were in use!  I had
the modem on for perhaps 30 minutes, trying out the various things
mentioned above.  I was starting to work on the VMS system to see how well
the modem handled phone line noise when there was a buzz, the lights
flickered and the modem went dead with a pop.  The power adapter was
too hot to hold in my hand.  The DIP switches at the back seemed to
have half moved from the down position to the up position.  The modem
was dead and stayed dead.  I am composing this review using my USR Courier.

--
Peter Marshall, Data Comm. Manager
CCS, U. of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5B7

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (09/30/87)

in article <975@julian.UWO.CDN>, peter@julian.UWO.CDN (Peter Marshall) says:
> I noticed as I worked that a plasticy smell was coming from over in
> the modem's direction shortly after I powered it up.  I attributed
> this to the modem being very new.  The power adapter seemed to be
> rather hot though.  The manual told me not to worry about heat since
> high powered LSI components were in use!

This sounds much like the manual that came with the Desktalk II 2400
baud modem. I opened the case, and their "high power VLSI" turned out to
be a 5 volt tab regulator and it's heatsink. They were using the
Rockwell 2400 baud chipset though.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

hull@hao.UCAR.EDU (Howard Hull) (10/03/87)

In article <502@esunix.UUCP>, blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
> in article <975@julian.UWO.CDN>, peter@julian.UWO.CDN (Peter Marshall) says:
> > this to the modem being very new.  The power adapter seemed to be
> > rather hot though.  The manual told me not to worry about heat since
> > high powered LSI components were in use!
>
> This sounds much like the manual that came with the Desktalk II 2400
> baud modem. I opened the case, and their "high power VLSI" turned out to
> be a 5 volt tab regulator and it's heatsink. They were using the
> Rockwell 2400 baud chipset though.
Yeah.  I got a mitac 2400BD (ril cheap).  It didn't seem to generate large
amounts of heat, though it was tolerably warm on top.  But naturally, I wanted
to see what technology they used, so I opened it up.  Like you, I found a
Rockwell 2400 baud chipset.  Also like you, I found a 7805 tab regulator,
but with an ~4-inch on a side sheet aluminum heat sink projecting to the
right, up, and then over about 1/3 of the other IC's.  Wanting to see who
they were torturing under the shadow of this heatsink, I pulled up slightly
on it - and discovered that there was nothing to prevent it from rotating
(with far less force).  I also discovered that the speaker was held in
place with a piece of _masking tape_.  I removed that and substituted a
butyl rubber o-ring I happened to have handy (you know what masking tape
does after a long time in a hot place...).  When I put it back together,
none of the lights would come on.  Ok, I sez, musta dinged it.  Back apart,
I removed the heat sink mounting nut and discovered a small square of paper
cemented over a 10-mil land under the sink, and another land with a via
that was not protected at all.  The usual via solder bump was squashed
flat and wiped a little.  I had expected (perhaps) to find a mica spacer.
Not so.  Anyway, I followed the spirit of things and stuck another piece
of paper over the munged land and via, put it all back together, and was
back in business.  Thank God for overcurrent protect that's in the 7805.
As for the mitac, well, talk about cheap... any other nominations anybody?
								Howard Hull
[If yet unproven concepts are outlawed in the range of discussion...
                 ...Then only the deranged will discuss yet unproven concepts]
	{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo} !hao!hull
	for domain mailers: hull@hao.ucar.edu