Title:  C Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications
Author:  Joe Campbell
Publisher:  Howard W. sams & Company, 4300 West 62nd Street, Indianapolis
                                                             Indiana 46268
Phone # for where to buy it: 800-428-SAMS
Copyright: 1987
ISBN: 0-672-22584-0
Lib. of Congr: 87-60387
Pages: 655
Cover Price: $22.95
SAMS #: 22584

The title is a bit misleading....although some of it is definitely oriented
towards the C programmer, it also contains loads of practical information
on ASCII, RS-232, protocols, UARTS, even a whole chapter (50 pages!!) on
the Hayes Smartmodem & derivatives.  Plus lots more.....

I'm definitely going to buy a copy for myself.  I'd recommend it without
hesitation to anyone programming or doing hardware with serial I/O and/or
modems.

M. R. Baker
MRB @ PSUECL

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (10/07/87)

In article <830@PSUECLB> mrb@psueclb.BITNET writes:
>Title:  C Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications
>Author:  Joe Campbell
>...it also contains loads of practical information
>on ASCII, RS-232, protocols, UARTS, even a whole chapter (50 pages!!) on
>the Hayes Smartmodem & derivatives.

I have this book and it is an outstanding instroduction to serial
communications.  But take the Hayes Smartmodem sections with a pinch of
salt.  Campbell does his best to try to make you buy a Hayes modem.

The back cover blurb says Campbell works for a major modem
manufacturer, but the book never identifies which one.  Can you guess
which one?  Can I guess which one?  If you worked for Multitech, would
you write a book plugging Hayes modems?  If you worked for Hayes and
wrote a book plugging Hayes modems, would you consider it ethical not
to tell the reader who you worked for?  These are some unanswered
questions that occurred to me as I read through the 50-odd pages in
that book that sing praises of the Hayes modems.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi