[comp.dcom.modems] Absolutly hanging up a modem

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (10/19/87)

In article <1548@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> xev@hstbme.mit.edu (Xev Gittler) writes:
>I have a hayes compat modem on a tty line, that I use for outgoing
>calls. My problem is that I am setting up an automated calling script
>using kermit, and I need to make sure that after the call is
>supposedly over, the line is definitely hung up. What can I do to
>accomplish this?

   Drop DTR.

--
        Tim Pozar
UUCP    pozar@hoptoad.UUCP

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (10/19/87)

In article <3234@hoptoad.uucp> pozar@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Pozar) writes:
>In article <1548@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> xev@hstbme.mit.edu (Xev Gittler) writes:
>>I have a hayes compat modem on a tty line, that I use for outgoing
>>calls. My problem is that I am setting up an automated calling script
>>using kermit, and I need to make sure that after the call is
>>supposedly over, the line is definitely hung up. What can I do to
>>accomplish this?
>   Drop DTR.

Given well designed modems, this would be the right answer.

Unfortunatley Hayes 1200 modems *won't* hang up if you are in command
mode and and drop DTR. You first have to frob the modem to insure it
is on line (eg. send the hayes the "AT <go-online-command>", do a
suitably long sleep to allow the modem to get this and act upon it,
and finally turn off the DTR.)

This problem is actually likely to occur if users use tip(1) or kermit
to get a connection to the raw hayes modem, and dial the phone number
themselves with the hayes "AT" commands.

				-wolfgang

Wolfgang Rupprecht	  UUCP: mirror!mit-mgm!wolfgang
			  ARPA: wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP addr 18.82.0.114)

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) (10/20/87)

In article <3234@hoptoad.uucp>, pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) writes:
> In article <1548@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> xev@hstbme.mit.edu (Xev Gittler) writes:
> >I have a hayes compat modem on a tty line, that I use for outgoing
> >calls. My problem is that I am setting up an automated calling script
> >using kermit, and I need to make sure that after the call is
> >supposedly over, the line is definitely hung up. What can I do to
> >accomplish this?
>    Drop DTR.

Here is a little niftyness from the people who tried to bring you
the UNIX-PC [and failed for the most part]

In SVR3.1.1 for our system they have added two switch codes
to the possibilities for a Dialers script.

	\M	Set CLOCAL
	\m	unset CLOCAL

you take you auto-dialing modem and set it to only pass CD when there is
carrier.

you then dial by:

set CLOCAL
dial the number
when you get the answered unset CLOCAL
 this effectively makes 2-way hayes compatible modems possible.

Rob.

vix@ubvax.UB.Com (Paul Vixie) (10/21/87)

In article <3234@hoptoad.uucp> pozar@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Pozar) writes:
>In article <1548@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> xev@hstbme.mit.edu (Xev Gittler) writes:
>>I have a hayes COMPAT modem on a tty line [...] need to make sure that [...]
>>the line is definitely hung up. What can I do to accomplish this?
>   Drop DTR.

Some modems which are advertised as "Hayes compat" do not do this.  The
Anchor-Signalman-Mark-XII is one example -- I bought three of them for
indial at one place I worked, since they were the first $250/1200-baud
modems I'd ever seen.  Lack of attention to DTR wasn't hard to fix -- I
had a local techie put little reed relays, keyed by DTR, controlling the
main power (12VDC) on the modem.  <<Ugly.>>

Another so-said Haye compat modem didn't want to reset the echo/verbose/etc
flags to the switched/saved values on DTR transitions.

Too bad there's no IEEE spec for Hayes compatibility... :-)
--
Paul Vixie
Consultant		Work: 408-562-7798	vix@ubvax.ub.com