[comp.dcom.modems] Trailblazer Interactive

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (11/04/87)

In article <6810001@hpcupt1.HP.COM> glowell@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Gary Lowell) writes:
>But how are they for interactive use ?  Can I use VI on a remote terminal
>at 9600 baud ?  I know that some earlier high speed modems had delays
>because they were too oriented towards large packets rather than a
>couple of charaters at a time.

The early Trailblazer's had serious problems, too, but Telebit claims that
new firmware has greatly reduced the problem, and new hardware even more.

A year ago I tried using a Trailblazer for transcontinental interactive. It
was so aggravating that I gave up, preferring plain 'ol V.22bis instead, and
never mind all the transmission noise. Now, the delays are noticable, but not
irritating at all. The error free connection and instant screen refreshes are
well worth the small echo delay. I've been spending several hours a day on
TrailBlazer interactive, and I wouldn't go back to V.22bis for anything.

And people who used to X.25 over Telenet or rlogin over the ARPANET won't
find the TrailBlazer's delays a bother at *all*.... :-)

<csg>