[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit TrailBlazer overseas

sda@atexrd.UUCP (Stephen Ayers) (10/16/87)

Has anyone tried using Telebit's Trailblazer on overseas
dialup lines?  In particular to Germany, England and Italy.
What has been the actual throughput?  How would the cost
compare between dialup and X.25?

Thanks in advance!

--
Steve Ayers, Atex, Inc., A Kodak Company
{ll-xn,genrad,kodak,munsell}!atexrd!sda

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (10/21/87)

In article <99@sda.atexrd.UUCP> sda@atexrd.UUCP (Stephen Ayers) writes:
>Has anyone tried using Telebit's Trailblazer on overseas
>dialup lines?  In particular to Germany, England and Italy.
>What has been the actual throughput?

Well to begin with, the Trailblazer is not legal in most European countries; I
believe they are approved in the UK and Sweeden, but few besides that. Telebit
has indicated that they have no hopes whatsoever of being approved in Germany.

The Trailblazer has been used successfully between the U.S. and Australia
(10Kbps), Japan, Venezuala, Argentina (6Kbps), Canada (12Kbps), and Mexico
(12Kbps). Actually, from here, Mexico and Canada seem to be much better than
New Jersey. :-) We tried the U.K., but the two modems refused to synch up.
That was on firmware rev 2.0; the situation today would be different.

>How would the cost compare between dialup and X.25?

I dunno if you've done the arithmetic or not, but if you do you'll be shocked.
X.25 Public Data Networks are horribly expensive. Call the U.K. via plain ol'
AT&T direct dial using a Hayes 1200, and if you can get a reliable connection
you'll be sending bytes much cheaper than via Telenet or Tymnet.* Of course,
the catch phrase is "reliable." From anywhere in the U.S. to anywhere in the
U.K., getting a usable call out of Bell 212A is a less than 50-50 shot. We use
Telenet, and connections are always flawless; the cost is worth it to us.

Going the other way, from Europe to the U.S., X.25 is a much better deal --
because their telephone rates are four times AT&T's, and their X.25 rates are
typically 10% to 30% lower. But even still, if the Trailblazer gets anything
over 500cps, you're still way ahead.

<csg>

*For the curious: X.25 to the U.K. costs $12 per kilosegment, which is 64K
bytes under ideal conditions. AT&T direct dial is $.99, $.75, and $.60 per
minute daytime, afternoons, and nights, respectively. So the break-even data
rates are 90cps, 68cps, and 55cps. This ignores startup charges for bok bk

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (10/22/87)

In article <8676@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>Well to begin with, the Trailblazer is not legal in most European countries; I
>believe they are approved in the UK and Sweeden, but few besides that. Telebit
>has indicated that they have no hopes whatsoever of being approved in Germany.

We have had very strong indications of exactly the opposite, that Telebit is
currently undertaking to get the Trailblazer approved in Germany, and where
very close to being sucessfull!

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

dfk@cwi.nl (Daniel Karrenberg) (10/27/87)

  > Well to begin with, the Trailblazer is not legal in most European
  > countries; I believe they are approved in the UK and Sweeden, but few
  > besides that.  Telebit has indicated that they have no hopes whatsoever
  > of being approved in Germany.

They are approved in the Netherlands and we will hopefully be testing
them soon. I'll report.

As to Germany the remarks are -sadly enough- very very true.
But less and less Germans care .....

--
Daniel Karrenberg                    Future Net:  <dfk@cwi.nl>
CWI, Amsterdam                        Oldie Net:  mcvax!dfk

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (10/29/87)

In article <362@sering.cwi.nl> dfk@cwi.nl (Daniel Karrenberg) writes:

>As to Germany the remarks are -sadly enough- very very true.
>But less and less Germans care .....

I heard that Atari's modem (only 1200 baud) just recently got approved
by the Bundepost (sp?) in Germany...does the post office in germany
actually have that much say over what types of modems people use? (I
had heard that they run the phone company...think I will avoid the
obvious joke).

  -Todd Burkey
  trb@stag.UUCP

randolph%cognito@Sun.COM (Randolph Fritz <SQA>) (10/30/87)

Todd Burkey (trb@stag.UUCP) writes:

    I heard that Atari's modem (only 1200 baud) just recently got approved
    by the Bundepost (sp?) in Germany...does the post office in germany
    actually have that much say over what types of modems people use? (I
    had heard that they run the phone company...think I will avoid the
    obvious joke).

Yes.  The Bundespost is a PTT (post-telephone-telegraph); one of the European
government communication firms.  They provide telephone service (and determine
what kind of equipment may be connected to their network), telegraph service
(and rent you the telex), radio (and approve radios), and television (ditto).
Similar organizations exist throughout Europe; the Bundespost is just more
restrictive than most.
--
Randolph Fritz
sun!randolph

kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (10/31/87)

> I heard that Atari's modem (only 1200 baud) just recently got approved
> by the Bundepost (sp?) in Germany...does the post office in germany
> actually have that much say over what types of modems people use?

in Germany, you cannot connect ANYTHING to the phone-lines that isn't from the
Post Office.  An answering machine, even.  Phones are not plugged into an
outlet, but *HARD-WIRED* into a connecter which you are not not *ALLOWED*
to open.

Is this Atari modem conencted with an accoustic coupler (hard to believe at
1200 Baud) or how else?

PS:  when the Bundespost goes after you, think of the worst you have heard
	the IRS can do to people here.  We are talking jail and heavy fines,
	storming into your house, intimidation, harassment ....
	No, I didn't mean to say that the IRS ever does that ....
	now that I think about it (the Bundespost also monitors communications
	in close cooperation with the German NSA) ........
	... I didn't post this article ... ((-:

--
kraut@ngp.utexas.edu

hgp@houem.UUCP (#H.PAGE) (11/04/87)

In article <250@stag.UUCP>, trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) writes:
> In article <362@sering.cwi.nl> dfk@cwi.nl (Daniel Karrenberg) writes:
> >
> >As to Germany the remarks are -sadly enough- very very true.
> >But less and less Germans care .....
>
> I heard that Atari's modem (only 1200 baud) just recently got approved
> by the Bundepost (sp?) in Germany...does the post office in germany
> actually have that much say over what types of modems people use? (I
> had heard that they run the phone company...think I will avoid the
> obvious joke).

Yes, the German Post Office runs the phone system.  Although extremely
efficient by European standards (my new service ONLY took two months),
I was extremely surprised to find that their subscriber records were
not on line (this was 1982).

At the time, customer premise equipment could only be leased from
the Bundespost (Carterfone, who's Carterfons??? ;-)). I think
this is starting to change at glacial speeds.

Everything cost about twice as much as it did in the USA and the bill
does NOT itemize one's long distance calls, One can, however, lease a
phone with a meter that tells how many units have been used.

--

Howard G. Page   AT&T BTL,  HO 3E-537 +1 201 949-0113, ..!ihnp4!houem!hgp

jack@swlabs.UUCP (Jack Bonn) (11/06/87)

In article <1021@houem.UUCP>, hgp@houem.UUCP (#H.PAGE) writes:
> Yes, the German Post Office runs the phone system.
>
> Everything cost about twice as much as it did in the USA and the bill
> does NOT itemize one's long distance calls, One can, however, lease a
> phone with a meter that tells how many units have been used.

I was working on a voice switch for the European market and was very
surprised about the lack of detailed billing that is done in Europe in
general.  I thought that our switch could provide this feature and
beat the competition to the marketplace.  But I was informed by some
of the "tech transferees" (Europeans temporarily working on the
project) that the customers preferred the status quo.  The idea was
that if the information was not kept _anywhere_, then the right to
keep these records private couldn't be violated.  I started to think
how easy it is to get a court order here in the USA and the idea
sounded better and better to me.

As an aside, I heard that the people in the UK had made a serious
improvement to their scheme of hand reading the meters in the COs.
They mounted a camera on a mechanism that would automatically position
it over each meter and take a picture (actually 2 or 4 at a time).
Then the human would later read the picture and key it in.  When I
contrast that with the level of billing features available even in
small PBXs here in the US, it made me smile.
--
Jack Bonn, <> Software Labs, Ltd, Box 451, Easton CT  06612
uunet!swlabs!jack