[comp.dcom.modems] Zenith Data Systems 2400 baud modem

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (10/23/87)

 am looking for an expert out there ANYWHERE who knows more than I (and
 that surely isnt tough) about the Zenith Data Systems modem.  I was told
 that it is a hayes internally - surely not.  I am having some bizarre
 behaviour.  1) I would like to find out what the MODEM thinks it is set at
 internally; any ideas on how to find all the nifty little saved off values?
 2) when I attempt to call out, I often find that my modem doesnt answer the
 initial carrier sound, nor does the original carrier change bauds.  Yet,
 after fiddling (doing some order of AT commands no sequence of which seems
 to work twice in a row) another call causes the proper notice. 3) I find
 that it is terribly touchy about characters transmitted WHILE it is trying
 to echo the CONNECT message back to me.  Yet, if I put a pause of 2 seconds
 before continuing with my login, I find that I get garbage and a NOT CONNECT
 as well, as if the other side gave up after not seeing something soon enough.
 These and more are the types of things that I would like to discuss with a
 knowledgable person out there... Thanks!

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

guardian@laidbak.UUCP (Harry Skelton) (10/26/87)

In article <279@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

> 1) I would like to find out what the MODEM thinks it is set at
> internally; any ideas on how to find all the nifty little saved off values?

You would issue a AT Sx? (with x being the S value "register".  You'd have to
do this for each of the S values you wanted to look at. ( you can put
them on in a row but there is a buffer limit.)

> 2) when I attempt to call out, I often find that my modem doesnt answer the
> initial carrier sound, nor does the original carrier change bauds.  Yet,
> after fiddling (doing some order of AT commands no sequence of which seems
> to work twice in a row) another call causes the proper notice.

In your dialer program (most systems have source to the dialer program) you'd
have to set the modem with an ATZ command (to clear it's mind), then issue
the information needed for a connect.  (ATDTE0V0Q0M1 (maybe an L3 for good
measure - speaker volume if internal ) ###-####).

Read below why I would set it this way.

> 3) I find > that it is terribly touchy about characters transmitted WHILE it
> is trying to echo the CONNECT message back to me.  Yet, if I put a pause
> of 2 seconds before continuing with my login, I find that I get garbage and
> a NOT CONNECT as well, as if the other side gave up after not seeing
> something soon enough. These and more are the types of things that I would
> like to discuss with a knowledgable person out there... Thanks!

The problem with a modem set for verbose and echo is that you have a byte
fight with getty or login.  Your modem will adjust to the baud rate the caller
is calling at but the connect message is displayed at the old baud rate (the
rate the modem was running at last.  i.e. You init at 2400 baud, you get a
call at 1200, modem says CONNECT at 2400 but carrier at 1200.

From there the system thinks CONNECT is a login at 2400 and getty assumes such
and sets the port at that speed.  From there the out-of-sync modems cause
garbage and the login gets a beating from the modem.

Disable the echo and verbose.  Set the modem to X1 (almost dumb mode) and set
the S0=1 in order to answer on the first ring.  Several rings could send
0's to getty.

When you dial out, reprogram your dialer program to init the modem with
ATZ and echo and verbose.  An X4 could not hurt either (something other than
X1 - see your manual).  When you are done with your modem take and send a
'ATZ' to it to get it back for use with login.

You can use DIR in your L.sys file and use the UUCP script language to handle
the modem on a direct basis.  This is what I would do since cu, uucico and
other *nix comm programs are not up to speed with the latest in modems.

Need more help just send me mail.

This is as simple as I can put it.  For Flames try the 'N' key.  It works for
me!
                             .---------.
Harry Skelton                :   .-.   :         --- other mail drops ---
guardian@laidbak.UUCP        :   `-'o  :         ihnp4!laidbak!ugh!bear
ihnp4!laidbak!guardian       :    O    :         ihnp4!laidbak!laipc!bear
                             `---------'
    "You can bring any calculator you like to the midterm, as long as it
		doesn't dim the lights when you turn it on."

andys@men2a.ORI-CAL.COM (Andrew Sibre) (10/29/87)

We have used 2 Zenith 2400 external modems for a month now.  The command
set is ALMOST identical to a 2400 Hayes.  They have worked extremely well
hooked to terminals calling U.S.Robotics modems, and to a Zenith 248
running UULINK (both in and out).  Also, it has worked extremely well
on said AT-clone when used with Smartcom or CrossTalk.  Noise immunity
is excellent.

	The salesman we bought them from said they were made for
Zenith by BizComp, the company from whom Hayes licensed the Smart Modem
command structure in the first place.

	In the event of trouble with these modems, I would suspect
the dialer software first and formost (possible that a few spurious
commands are being sent to the modem, that WOULD be appropriate to
a Hayes, but are NOT to the Zenith), and the cable wiring second.

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (11/06/87)

It's me again.  I appreciate the assistence provided so far.  Let me give
a bit more background into the problem.  I have the Zenith external 2400
baud modem connected to an Apple II GS.  I am using a modem program called
Talk Is Cheap, an outstanding modem program in my mind.  When I type
directly to the modem, things work relatively well.  The two problem sites
that I call recognize my modem, my modem recognizes them, I get a connect
2400, and I can proceed with login.  BUT, when in an auto-script/macro
whatever you would like to call it mode of operation, and I get the connect
2400, the next character emitted to the modem causes about 5-6 garbage
(like change of baud rate style) characters and a NO CONNECT message
to occur.  I type a AT H0 and attempt to dial again and the modem acts as if
it never TRUELY disconnected the line (I hear no dial tone before the carrier
is sounded) and my modem never disconnects.  I have changed the S10 (time
before dropping carrier) to 030 (3 seconds) and it doesnt seem to help.  In
fact, I typically have to power the modem off and back on again to get the
dial to work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  So far I seem to have received about 3 or
4 messages about these modems, from folks who are relatively happy with them.
I wonder if that is all that have been sold...
--

jack@swlabs.UUCP (Jack Bonn) (11/11/87)

In article <325@n8emr.UUCP>, lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

> When I type
> directly to the modem, things work relatively well.  The two problem sites
> that I call recognize my modem, my modem recognizes them, I get a connect
> 2400, and I can proceed with login.  BUT, when in an auto-script/macro
> whatever you would like to call it mode of operation, and I get the connect
> 2400, the next character emitted to the modem causes about 5-6 garbage
> (like change of baud rate style) characters and a NO CONNECT message
> to occur.

Larry-

I tried mailing you this with no success.

Is it possible that the problem modems have MNP error correction and you
don't?  Sometimes it is necessary to delay before starting to send any
characters to an MNP modem.  This lets the other modem know that you are
not an MNP modem.  Hopefully there is a way to make the autodialer
script delay before starting to send.

This would not explain what the far end is sending to your modem to
get it jammed up.  But if the delay helps, your are on the right track.

I hope this helps.
--
Jack Bonn, <> Software Labs, Ltd, Box 451, Easton CT  06612
uunet!swlabs!jack