[comp.dcom.modems] What is Max speed possible on phone lines?

sbrodsky@hawk.CS.ULowell.Edu (Tabu) (10/23/87)

 Can somebody please clarify something for me?

 I have been told for the past 2 years that the max speed possible on
 regular phone lines was 9600 baud.

 Now I am being told that 19K is possible, and something about USRobotics
 now has an upgrade for their 9600 HST to upgrade it to 17K.

 What is the highest speed available??????
 Thanks....

Scott A. Brodsky, University of Lowell CS dept.
sbrodsky@hawk.ulowell.edu

dmw3@ur-tut.UUCP (David Walsh) (10/24/87)

In article <1886@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> sbrodsky@hawk.ulowell.edu (Tabu-Fiero builder) writes:

> Can somebody please clarify something for me?

[lines deleted]

> What is the highest speed available??????
> Thanks....
>
>Scott A. Brodsky, University of Lowell CS dept.
>sbrodsky@hawk.ulowell.edu

  Well, I haven't heard anything about it lately but I do remember a high
speed modem that was capable of 50kbaud over good phone lines.  All I can
remember is that it us multiple frequencies at the same time and it decided
how many bits it could send on each frequency, something like 1, 2, 4, or 8
bits (I'm not sure about all of these) at the time of original connection;
there was something about them that they couldn't "talk" with other modems
because of the way they sent all of that data.

  If someone else has ever heard of these I'd love to find out who makes
them, or where I could get in contact with someone who knows.  Sorry that
I can't remember the name of the manufaturer.

  Dave Walsh - hiding @ rochester!ur-tut!dmw3

DISCLAIMER:  No sane individual condones my acts, therefore my employers can't
be held responsible for me or my actions (or can they???)

WANCHO@SIMTEL20.ARPA ("Frank J. Wancho") (10/27/87)

The highest "speed" possible on conventional dialup lines is 1200
baud.  That figure is due to the limited bandwidth of the phone lines
when non-metallic circuits are involved.  However, the highest bit
rate possible is a function of the bit-encoding technique used to
squeeze more bits per baud using analog technology.  With digital
technology and short haul point-to-point metallic circuits, you can
expect 10MBps (twisted-pair Ethernet).  Someday soon (in this century
I hope) the phone system will be completely digital and you can expect
to run at least one 56Kbps circuit, plus voice...

--Frank

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (10/29/87)

Foo.  Note that twisted pair Ethernet is a kludge.  This high-speed
(Radio Frequency) unshielded twisted pair stuff is going to be put
to an end as this stuff is not going to comply with FCC regulations
on emissions.

-Ron

larry@kitty.UUCP (10/29/87)

In article <16064@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
> Foo.  Note that twisted pair Ethernet is a kludge.  This high-speed
> (Radio Frequency) unshielded twisted pair stuff is going to be put
> to an end as this stuff is not going to comply with FCC regulations
> on emissions.

	Actually, I don't believe that the FCC can do much about it.  The
Ethernet transceivers certainly meet FCC emission requirements when used
in a proper manner with coaxial cable (as intended).
	The problem comes to pass when people buy these $ 25.00 balun
transformers which match coaxial cable to balanced line, and run them over
unshieled telephone pairs.  The balun transformers themselves are just
passive devices which need meet no FCC requirements of any kind; I can't
envision their sale being "outlawed" or otherwise controlled.
	Wanna see something neat?  Try running two separate Ethernet
circuits any significant distance in multi-pair telephone cable using
these balun transformers.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231       {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

larry@pdn.UUCP (Larry Swift) (10/29/87)

In article <309@ur-tut.UUCP> dmw3@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP (David Walsh) writes:
>speed modem that was capable of 50kbaud over good phone lines.  All I can
                                    ^^^^
I suspect that you mean "bits".

>remember is that it us multiple frequencies at the same time and it decided
>how many bits it could send on each frequency, something like 1, 2, 4, or 8
                                     ^^^^^^^^^
I think you mean "baud".

>bits (I'm not sure about all of these) at the time of original connection;
>there was something about them that they couldn't "talk" with other modems
>because of the way they sent all of that data.

This is true of many higher speed modems today, although some are compatible
with other manufacturers, and some are not.

I haven't any idea who might be making (attempting to make?) a 50kbps modem
for public switched anlog circuits (ie, phone lines).  (If it's my employer,
forget you read this.) Have you tried asking various manufacturers reps?

Larry Swift                     UUCP: {gatech,codas,ucf-cs}!usfvax2!pdn!larry
Paradyne Corp., LF-207          Phone: (813) 530-8605
P. O. Box 2826
Largo, FL, 34649-9981

kaufman@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Kaufman) (10/29/87)

.
.	Actually, I don't believe that the FCC can do much about it.  The
.Ethernet transceivers certainly meet FCC emission requirements when used
.in a proper manner with coaxial cable (as intended).

If you can demonstrate interference to some other service, the FCC will
write a letter to the interferer requiring them to take action to stop
the interference.  This may include turning the interfering source off.
(I had a neighbor who refused to turn off a 'Decimate' bug repeller that
wiped out the local public service radio band).

The letter is sufficiently threatening that it will probably work.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Shasta.stanford.edu)

brian@casemo.UUCP (Brian Cuthie ) (10/29/87)

In article <16064@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
> Foo.  Note that twisted pair Ethernet is a kludge.  This high-speed
> (Radio Frequency) unshielded twisted pair stuff is going to be put
> to an end as this stuff is not going to comply with FCC regulations
> on emissions.
>
> -Ron

I doubt seriously that DEC would announce a major developement such as this
and start selling it before they were sure that it would pass FCC part 15.
Besides, you would be suprised at what *doesn't* get radiated from a balanced
transmission over twisted pair.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Cuthie			Naturally, these are my opinions and no one
CASE Communications		else's.
Columbia, MD 21046
(301) 290 - 7443

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (10/29/87)

If you set up equipment such that it radiates you are liable
regardless of whether the equipment you use has or needed to
have complied with FCC regulations.  All this RF jumbled in with
ordinary telephone wire is a problem just waiting to happen.

-Ron

miw@uqcspe.OZ (Mark Williams) (10/30/87)

In article <WANCHO.12345854244.BABYL@SIMTEL20.ARPA> WANCHO@SIMTEL20.ARPA ("Frank J. Wancho") writes:
>The highest "speed" possible on conventional dialup lines is 1200
>baud.
> However, the highest bit
>rate possible is a function of the bit-encoding technique used to
>squeeze more bits per baud using analog technology.

	Almost, but not quite. The V.32 standard for 9600 bps modems actually
specifies 2400 baud.
	The highest bit rate possible is purely a function of bandwidth and
signal to noise ratio. The bandwidth of a normal voice circuit is 3 khz. This
is ensured by anti-aliasing filters on the local loop. These are needed to
allow the analog signal on your local loop to be converted to a 64kbps digital
stream. Now to work out the best possible signal/noise ratio. In practice, you
just take this from the guaranteed figure as given by your friendly telco.
	For example, if your S/N is 40 dB, the maximum possible bit rate is
given by: Bandwidth*(Log base 2(1+S/N))
       =  3000* (Log base 2(1+100))      (S/N in power ratio, not dB)
       =  19931 bps
	You will, of course, never achieve this, since it assumes that the
S/N is constant and that you use the full dynamic range, and that you use
the best possible modulation technique.

Mark Williams

--
The views expressed above are not necessarily those of my employer. In a
couple of hours they may not even be my own.

Small boys throw stones in fun, but the frogs die in ernest. -- Mark Twain.

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (840033@G.Pavlov) (10/30/87)

In article <309@ur-tut.UUCP> dmw3@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP (David Walsh) writes:
>speed modem that was capable of 50kbaud over good phone lines.  All I can
>remember is that it us multiple frequencies at the same time and it decided
>how many bits it could send on each frequency, something like 1, 2, 4, or 8
>bits (I'm not sure about all of these) at the time of original connection;
>there was something about them that they couldn't "talk" with other modems
>because of the way they sent all of that data.

 - this sounds like a somewhat garbled (no insult intended !) description of
   the Telebit Trailblazer modem.  It has been discussed here before, so I
   won't repeat the specs, other than to say that it's capability is apx.
   18 kbuad max.

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

peter@julian.UUCP (10/30/87)

In article <16064@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>Foo.  Note that twisted pair Ethernet is a kludge.  This high-speed
>(Radio Frequency) unshielded twisted pair stuff is going to be put
>to an end as this stuff is not going to comply with FCC regulations
>on emissions.
Synoptics' Lattisnet  has been approved by the FCC.  They
told us that they worked hard in order to comply.  It also works and
despite its initial expense it looks as if it would be much more
easily maintainable than "real" ethernet.
Also would Digital and 3-Com and HP really announce a product that
they could not sell in the USA?
--
Peter Marshall, Data Comm. Manager
CCS, U. of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5B7

smv@necis.UUCP (Steve Valentine) (10/31/87)

In article <2174@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
+	Wanna see something neat?  Try running two separate Ethernet
+circuits any significant distance in multi-pair telephone cable using
+these balun transformers.
+
+<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York

The first implementation of an etherealnet gateway!
--
Steve Valentine, NEC Information Systems 289 Great Rd., Acton, MA 01720
smv@necis.nec.com

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (11/02/87)

In article <2174@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:

> 	Actually, I don't believe that the FCC can do much about it.  The
> Ethernet transceivers certainly meet FCC emission requirements when used
> in a proper manner with coaxial cable (as intended).
> 	The problem comes to pass when people buy these $ 25.00 balun
> transformers which match coaxial cable to balanced line, and run them over
> unshieled telephone pairs.  The balun transformers themselves are just
> passive devices which need meet no FCC requirements of any kind; I can't
> envision their sale being "outlawed" or otherwise controlled.

Owning the parts is not illegal. Using them to build an radio transmitter
might be. Part 97 of the FCC regs pertains to permissable field strength
for unlicensed transmitters. It's not too generous (how far does your
kids walkie-talkie transmit). To be legal, you would have to ensure that
the field strength falls within the regs. I believe Part 97 also specifies
the ranges of frequencies you're allowed to use.

You could probably get away with it, but if someone complains about
interference you're SOL as far as the FCC is concerned.

> 	Wanna see something neat?  Try running two separate Ethernet
> circuits any significant distance in multi-pair telephone cable using
> these balun transformers.

Wanna see something *really* neat? Turn on an electric pencil sharpener
within about 10 feet of this wiring and watch your "Ethernet" die...

--lyndon  VE6BBM   {alberta,pyramid,uwvax}!ncc!lyndon

eshop@saturn.ucsc.edu (Jim Warner) (11/03/87)

In article <138@ncc.UUCP> lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>In article <2174@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>>
>> 	The problem comes to pass when people buy these $ 25.00 balun
>> transformers which match coaxial cable to balanced line, and run them over
>> unshieled telephone pairs.  The balun transformers themselves are just
>> passive devices which need meet no FCC requirements of any kind; I can't
>> envision their sale being "outlawed" or otherwise controlled.

Questions of legality not withstanding, could someone explain how these
things work?  I thought Ethernet required low frequency response in
order for collision detection to work.  A collision is declared when
the average voltage on the cable gets too negative.  How do you get
DC through a balun?

On the other hand, if these are AUI (transciever cable) extensions,
why would a balun be necessary at all?  The impedance of phone wires
isn't that far from the impedance of shielded twisted pairs, so
what's to match?

bitar@ji.Berkeley.EDU (Philip Bitar) (11/03/87)

In article <1641@uqcspe.OZ> miw@uqcspe.oz (Mark Williams) writes:
> ... The highest bit rate possible is purely a function of bandwidth and
>signal to noise ratio. ...

Then what is a `baud' and why should anyone ever bother referring to it?

Also, for bit rates x > 2400, how is compatibility among different
manufacturers acheived?

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (11/03/87)

[From SIMTEL20 file PD:<MISC.MODEMS>WHATBAUD.DOC]

                               What is Baud?

     Anyone reading technical echomail may have noticed  a  large
number of messages about baud rates,  bit rates, band widths, and
modulation techniques involved  with  modems.  There  is  a  fair
amount of confusion relating to baud rate verses bit rate and how
they  are  limited  by  the  telephone  line band width.  This is
nothing new, texts on the subject generally avoid the term "baud"
except within the  narrow  context  where  it  is  germane.  This
article  will  define  some  of  the  various  terms used in data
communications,   and  discuss  limitations  of  phone  lines  to
communication speed.

     Serial  transmission  of  data  is the most common method of
moving data over distance, and the most common way of interfacing
serial devices to each other is RS232.  The essence of  RS232  is
signal levels which represent ON or SPACE levels, and OFF or MARK
levels.  ON  is  any voltage between +3 volts and +15 volts while
OFF is -3 to -15 volts.  The signal shape is really a square wave
centered  at  zero  volts  and  is a baseband signal.  A baseband
signal is one whose spectrum extends down to zero hertz,  or near
zero.  The signal is polled at regular intervals to determine its
voltage,  and therefore the data it contains.  RS232 has only the
two voltage levels defined  so  it  is  a  binary  coded  signal.
Besides  signal  shape  and  levels,  RS232  defines  a number of
parallel signals such as  "clear  to  send"  and  "data  terminal
ready".  Some  of these signals are status flags such as "carrier
detect",  while others are meant as flow control,  such as  "data
terminal  ready"  or  "request  to  send".  Since a typical modem
provides only  the  transmit  and  receive  functions,  the  flow
control must be done within the data stream.  Some modems however
send data as packets with error control (akin to XMODEM) that can
recreate  all  of  the  hardware  signals so as to make a distant
terminal appear to be hard wired.

     Regular phone lines were designed for voice  communications,
but due to their wide use and therefore low cost,  they have been
widely used for data communications. A baseband signal such as is
found in RS232 doesn't lend itself  to  phone  lines  since  they
don't  have frequency response down to D.C.  or zero hertz.  When
voice grade phone lines were designed  the  band  of  frequencies
they  had  to  pass was determined by the nature of human speech.
Very low frequencies  (below  300  hz)  and  higher  ones  (above
3000hz) were found to be unnecessary for voice recognition at the
receiving end,  as a result the total "BAND WIDTH" available to a
phone user is only around  2700  hz.  BAND  WIDTH  when  used  to
describe  frequency  response  is the difference in hertz between
the high and low, half power frequencies.  In electrical systems,
power  dissipated  across  a  load  (or  resistance)  in terms of
voltage is:  V * V / R.  Where "V"  in  this  case  will  be  the
amplitude  of  the  sign  wave  being applied to the circuit.  In
between the high and low half power frequencies there will  be  a
frequency  where  the  amplitude  of  the  response  wave will be
maximized,  call that voltage Vm.  The half power points will  be
reached  when V=Vm/sqrt(2).  The output power at that point would
be Vm * Vm / (2 * R) which is one half the mid  band  power.  The
cause  for  the fall off of power at different frequencies is due
to capacitive and/or inductive elements in the circuit.  In phone
lines capacitance comes naturally in parallel, that is it tend to
shunt the signal to ground.  In this configuration the higher the
frequency the lower the "resistance" will be. Inductance is added
on purpose by the phone companies in the form  of  loading  coils
which  are  added  to  decrease  signal  attenuation  in  the mid
frequencies.  In any case the band width of a voice grade line is
strictly limited so that many calls can be stacked on top of each
other, in order to use transmission lines more effectively.  Data
equipment must strive to make the best use of  this  narrow  band
width.  There  is  a hard limit to the amount of data that can be
sent through a telephone line as will be seen later.

     The signal type of choice to carry data through phone  lines
is  the  sine wave.  A sine wave has but one frequency associated
with it. This means that if its frequency is within th band width
of the line carrying it,  then the received sine  wave  will  not
have  its  shape  altered  due  to clipping of the high frequency
components.  This can't be said  for  the  square  or  triangular
waves  which  requires  an  infinite band width to fully describe
them.  The sine wave is simply defined:

    v= A * sin( w*t + p)
       A is the amplitude (in units of volts for this exercise)
       w is the frequency which must be in radians per second
       t is time in seconds
       p is the phase angle in radians

     Information can  be  encoded  by  the  sine  wave  in  three
different  ways.  By  altering  "A" which is amplitude modulation
(AM),  by altering "w" which is frequency modulation (FM),  or by
altering  "p"  which  is  phase modulation (PM).  There are mixed
modes which come into use in the more exotic modem schemes,  used
to get the really high bit rates.

     FSK  or  frequency  shift  keying  was  the most widely used
method for data transfer through modems.  This is  a  FM  process
whereby  a RS232 MARK would be represented by the presence of one
frequency while a SPACE would be indicated by another  frequency.
Now is the time to introduce the term BAUD.  A "BAUD" is the time
interval in which data is carried,  that is the minimum  time  in
which  a  signal  holds  a  single state which the receiver is to
recognize and convert into data.  The baud rate is how many  BAUD
times occur in a second. The baud rate is NOT the same as the bit
rate  as will be seen later in multiple state modulation.  In FSK
type modems (Bell 103) the baud time happens to be  the  same  as
the  bit rate since each signal state encodes a single bit.  Many
would think that the baud rate is limited  to  highest  frequency
available to be transmitted (3000 hz) but this is not necessarily
so.  Nyquist  showed  in 1928 that the maximum signal change rate
(baud rate) for a band width "W"  would  be  2*W  baud.  This  is
called  the  Nyquist  rate  and is an upper limit that assumes no
inter-symbol  interference.   This   could   be   visualized   by
considering  a sine wave.  Each cycle has a positive and negative
part.  The amplitude in each part could be independently  altered
while still having a sine wave,  therefore a 1200 hz signal could
be changed 2400 times a second which is 2400 baud.  This type  of
change  (AM)  is  not  very useful in phone lines since it is the
type of change most commonly caused by natural phenomena. In Bell
103 the baud rate is commonly 300 which is over 3.5 cycles at the
lowest  carrier  frequency.   The  practical  considerations   of
detecting frequency changes requires about 1.5 cycles so 300 baud
is some what conservative.

     PSK or phase shift keying gets by the frequency barrier that
keeps  FSK  from  producing  the  higher bit rates.  In PSK (a PM
method) the only parameter in the sine wave changed each BAUD  is
the  phase  angle  "p".  The Bell 212A modem specification uses a
four level phase modulation technique.  The term four level means
that  four different phases are used and detected by the receiver
during each BAUD.  The number  of  bits  an  M  level  state  can
represent  is n=log2(M) or log(M)/log(2).  A four level state can
represent two bits during each baud.  In the  212A  specification
+90 degrees would be 00,  0 degrees 01, +270 degrees 11, and +180
degrees 10.  The 212A baud rate is 600 which means the  bit  rate
would be:

bit rate=600 BAUD/second * 2 bits/BAUD= 1200 bits/second

     To  increase  the bit rate to the next state would require 3
bits/baud or 8 phases.  To get 2400 bps using such a scheme would
require  16  different  phases (22.5 degrees apart).  The problem
here is that one class of noise present  in  phone  lines  called
"phase jitter" can cause phase errors up to and sometimes over 30
degrees.  To avoid the bulk of this type of noise the phase angle
difference should be kept above this amount. The 2400 baud modems
common today use a form of QAM (quadrature amplitude  modulated).
This  method  uses  a  combination  of  two  waves with different
amplitudes to get the required 16 levels.  A QAM  signal  can  be
expressed in equation as follows:

s(t)=a(t)cos(wt+p)+b(t)cos(wt+90+p)

a(t)  is  the  in-phase  modulating  wave  form while b(t) is the
quadrature modulating wave form.  During each baud a(t) and  b(t)
are constants so the equation simplifies to:

s(tn)=c*cos(wt+theta+p)   {p is a single arbitrary phase angle tn
                          stands  for  a   specific   baud   time
                          c=sqrt(a*a+b*b) theta=atan(b/a)}

The   new  pure  sine  (cosine)  wave  has  amplitude  and  phase
differences which can multiply the number of states possible.  If
there  are 4 values for amplitude and 8 values for phase then the
signal could have 32 different states or five  bits.  The  random
variations  in  phase  "p"  has  less effect the outcome since it
effects  both  waves  the  same.  The  phase  difference  in  the
resultant  wave  is due to the interaction of the two wave forms.
QAM is the method used to get up to 9600  baud  out  of  a  phone
line. Other types of noise are present in a phone system, and are
mostly  due  to  switching  and cross over with other wires.  The
error rate at the higher bit rates would be unacceptable if there
weren't some error recovery used.  This is now quite easy  to  do
from a hardware standpoint, since the memory and processing power
needed  to  do  it  takes a small amount of space and cost little
enough to make the increase in bit rate  worth  it.  The  ability
for high speed modems to run will increase due to another reason.
More  and  more  fiber optic phone line will replace conventional
ones. These are immune from many of the noise sources that effect
copper wires, sources such as RF and magnetic fields.

The ultimate bit rate that could be "pumped" through a phone line
is fixed by the  band  width  AND  the  signal  to  noise  ratio.
Shannon's  law  relates  random  bit transmissions/second to band
width and signal to noise ratio.  It is derived from the  concept
of entropy. Entropy is a measure of randomness in a system. It is
really   a   thermodynamic   property  but  has  applications  in
information theory.  The maximum bit  rate  for  a  channel  with
signal power S and noise power N is given by:

C=BW log2(1+S/N) where BW is the band width, S is the signal
                 power and N is the noise power.

With  a  typical band width 2600 hz and a typical signal to noise
ratio of 30db (or 1000/1) the bit rate would be:

bit rate=2600 * log2( 1001 ) or 25,914bps

The noise factor is assumed white or Gaussian. This kind of noise
is  unavoidable  in  electrical  systems.  In  fact  "N"  can  be
calculated by:

N=kTW   where k=1.37e-23 joule/degree
              T is absolute temperature (Kelvin)
              W is the band width in HZ

This  product  gives  "N" in terms of joules per second or watts.
At room temperatures noise would be on the order of  1e-17  watts
over a 2600 hz band width.  If a phone signal were just 0.1 watts
the signal to noise ratio could be as high as 160db.  In practice
it  is  about 30db so it can be expected that the signal to noise
ratio will increase in the future so that the top bit rates  will
increase,  and  this  increase will happen without an increase of
the band width available.

     One last problem to consider with the high speed  modems  is
compatibility.  To  get  9600  bps  from  a 600 baud signal would
require 65,536 levels in a state.  There is  no  obvious  way  in
which  to  assign a level to a 16 bit pattern so the manufacturer
must invent an "ALPHABET" for that conversion.  Until an alphabet
is  standardized  as  well  as error recovery techniques there is
simply no way the modems will talk to each other.

GLOSSARY:

Alphabet:             A table to convert signal states into
                      characters they represent
Amplitude modulation: Where information is encoded by changes in
                      amplitude only.
Band width:           Range of frequencies within the half power
                      limits. That is the difference between the
                      two -3db frequencies.
Baseband:             The signal at its original frequency and
                      shape.
Baud:                 The minimum time where all signal
                      parameters are held constant.
Baud rate:            The number of times the basic signal can be
                      changed per second.
Bit rate:             The number if bits per second passing
                      through a channel. In a modem it is the
                      baud rate times the number if bits per
                      baud.
Decibel (db):         10 * log10(p2/p1) where p2 is referenced to
                      p1. Both p1 and p2 represents power. For
                      voltage db is calculated 20 * log10(v2/v1)
Frequency modulation: Where information is encoded by changes in
                      the carriers frequency.
FSK:                  A way of represents data by a discrete
                      change in frequency of the carrier.
Hertz:                Number of events per second.
Modulation:           The process of varying a signal according
                      some aspect of another signal.
Phase:                The angular displacement of a cyclic signal
                      In a sine wave Y=A sin(wt+p) p is the
                      phase.
Phase modulation:     Technique of changing phase of signal to
                      represent changes of the baseband signal.