[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit Trailblazer on Microport

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (11/03/87)

    Is anyone currently using one of the new Telebit Trailblazer modems
successfully with Microport Sys V/AT UNIX ?  Curious if this operating
will handle them.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           Packet: WA3WBU @ AK3P

garon@pedro.UUCP (Garon C. Yoakum) (11/11/87)

In article <177@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>     Is anyone currently using one of the new Telebit Trailblazer modems
> successfully with Microport Sys V/AT UNIX ?  Curious if this operating
> will handle them.

Recently, I have read many articles asking about the Telebit TrailBlazer
modem on MicroPort V/AT systems similar to the one above.

Following, is a summary of my experience with using the TrailBlazer
on MicroPort systems.

    1 - Make sure you have modem firmware release 3.0  Without it, a couple
        of bothersome problems occur.  First, if you want high-speed
        operation, then low speed modems time out before the TrailBlazer gets
        to their speed.  Second, UUCP, XMODEM and other block type transfers
        have serious time-out problems because the TrailBlazer waits for a
        full buffer before sending data.
    2 - MicroPort V/AT doesn't handle 19.2 connections to the modem very
        successfully.  However, 9600 baud works fine.
    3 - MicroPort V.3/386 does handle 19.2 wonderfully.
    4 - The TrailBlazer seems succeptable to line noise at 2400 & 1200.

Those are the worst things I have experienced with TrailBlazers.  Currently,
I'm running modem Firmware R3.0 on MicroPort's V.3/386 and have not
experienced any problems.  The TrailBlazer answers at 2400/1200/300 and then
high-speed.  Thereby allowing low-speed and high-speed modems to login in
without timing out.  In addition, it is set up to work with block orientated
protocols so it doesn't time out after each block.

I welcome other point's of view, and can be reached through USENET or
directly at:  pedro -> (801) 277-0272

- Garon

jmsully@uport.UUCP (John M. Sully) (11/14/87)

In article <177@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>    Is anyone currently using one of the new Telebit Trailblazer modems
>successfully with Microport Sys V/AT UNIX ?  Curious if this operating
>will handle them.

We are using two of them here at Microport on a 386 box and they seem to
work just fine.  They have also been tested on a 286 system where they
also worked.  The login script requires some futzing 'a la the old ATDT
in the chat script, but other than that they drop right in.

--
John M. Sully         UUCP: ...!{sun | ucbvax | ihnp4}!amdcad!uport!techs
Microport Systems     ARPA: uport!techs@ucscc.UCSC.EDU