[comp.dcom.modems] Prometheus ProModem 1200

cs177fbp@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (I-Teh Hsieh) (11/20/87)

I got a ProModem 1200 external back in '84, and haven't had any
problems until now.  It seems that right after it dials, it
immediately prints out a RINGING message, even if the line is busy.
It won't detect a busy signal any more.  Does anyone have any ideas
where I should start looking for the problem?  Problem with some
chips?  Thanks.

martyl@bucket.UUCP (Marty Lee) (11/26/87)

In article <4097@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU>, cs177fbp@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (I-Teh Hsieh) writes:
> I got a ProModem 1200 external back in '84, and haven't had any
> problems until now.  It seems that right after it dials, it
> immediately prints out a RINGING message, even if the line is busy.
> It won't detect a busy signal any more.  Does anyone have any ideas
> where I should start looking for the problem?  Problem with some
> chips?  Thanks.

I have the same problem!!  I've traced the problem down to a single
chip (I think).  The one thing keeping me from fixing the modem is
finding a replacement for an AMI S35212.  The local parts shops don't
carry them and I haven't found a mail order source yet.

BTW Prometheus wants $75.00 to fix the modem, no matter what is wrong!!

Can anybody else help us???

Thanks in advance,

--
tektronix!reed!omen!bucket!martyl  (Marty Lee)