[comp.dcom.modems] Looking for a fast modem < $1000.

richman@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (11/21/87)

I'm new to this group, and this question has probably ben asked before:

 What is the fastest bps modem commercially available under $1000. which
 works over standard phone lines in a full-duplex mode?

What I'm looking for is something ~9600 - 19,200 which will interface
a terminal with a campus mainframe via Ma Bell.  Any suggestions?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Mike Richman
uucp:  {ihnp4,seismo,puree,convex,uunet}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!uiucuxe!richman
arpanet:  richman%uiucuxe@a.cs.uiuc.edu     bitnet: richman@uiucuxe
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (11/23/87)

In article <48400001@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> richman@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> What is the fastest bps modem commercially available under $1000. which
> works over standard phone lines in a full-duplex mode?
>
>What I'm looking for is something ~9600 - 19,200 which will interface
>a terminal with a campus mainframe via Ma Bell.  Any suggestions?

Well ... seeing that I'm doing just that right now I suppose I'll
tell you what I've got.

I'm testing Telebit TrailBlazer's to see if we want to get one/many.
We almost certainly want to get one, but who knows about many.

Anyway ... for the description.  This modem uses a funky highly
proprietary protocol.  It cuts the telephone bandwidth into some large
number of channels that can each do 0, 2, 4, or 6 bits of data.
There's a 68010 in the modem that (among other things) examines the
phone line occasionally to see how each of the channels are doing.  If
one is getting bad it'll drop the number of bits it's handling and if
it's really bad it'll drop it completely.  The baud rate will vary from
something low to approx 18,000 baud in something like 300 baud
increments.

It also works as a normal 300/1200/2400 (+MNP) modem.

It does all this over extremely normal phone lines.  (I live in the
student ghetto around campus ... the phone system leaves something to
be desired ... the modem says it's doing around 15,000 baud right
now).

It's fun watching rn paint a screen faster than it does on the terminal
in my office!  :-)  And "rain" is fun too ...!

The cost?  Well, it's a tad more than you wanted.  The list price is
$1300.  Per modem.  But Telebit has a deal going where they'll sell (up
to two) modems to people who are in the Usenet maps for half price.
~$670

Some other features of the modem is that it can be told that to watch
for packets from XMODEM/KERMIT/UUCP "g" protocols ... when it see's the
packet, it accepts it and acks it ... then it passes the data on to the
other modem using it's normal protocol ... at the other end the other
guy creates the proper packet again and swallow the ack which'll come
back.

In other words .. you "sidestep" the problems you get with other fast
modems where the protocol being used will cause problems with line
turnaround to get acks back to the sender.

I have only one reservation.

It's a proprietary protocol which will only work with Trailblazers.
There are some almost-standards for 9600 baud (at least I think there
are some standards), and telebit may get shut out of the game.
However, there are whole bunch of proprietary modems in this speed
range, so maybe the standards haven't settled down yet.

I think also that Telebit might be able to insert rom's and have
the hardware emulate just about any of the protocols w/o too
much problem.  It seems likely that's the way they were able
to also have the modem handle 300/1200/2400 baud ... there
isn't a second set of modem chips in the box for instance.

This special deal from Telebit has put a lot of Telebit's in the
hands of a lot of people around the country.  This will help to
establish a good niche for telebit ... if only as a heavily loved
part of the Usenet backbone :-).

There have been reports of 9000 baud to 14000 baud throughput using
these modems with UUCP transfers.  This is real throughput as
reported by uucp, and includes the protocol overhead.  This is
using long distance phone lines.  etc etc.

I LOVE THIS MODEM!

(Note that I am in no way connected with either telebit or
the vendor we will be buying through.  I am merely a customer
and an interested observer...)
--
<---- David Herron -- Resident E-Mail Hack     <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (11/23/87)

Mike, I have two US Robotics HST 9600 modems and am very pleased with
them.  This is a full-duplex modem with 9600 in one direction and 300
in the other.  That presents no problems since I can't type that fast.
The end with the greatest amount of data to transfer gets the 9600 bps
channel.  It switches dynamically and transparent to the user.

I've been using these modems to transfer very large amounts of data
between mainframes and my microcomputer using the Xmodem-1k, Ymodem,
and Zmodem protocols, which all use 1k or greater block sizes.
Protocols using 128-byte blocks are not efficient through any
high-speed morem, especially one with built-in error checking.

I have seen the HST 9600 modem advertised in the "Computer Shopper"
for as little as $695.

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie: W8SDZ
RCP/M Royal Oak: 313-759-6569 - 300, 1200, 2400 (V.22bis) or 9600 (USR HST)

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (11/24/87)

There are two things unclear about your request.  First, all of the
modems that I'm aware of that operate on phone lines at > 2400 baud
don't operate in a real full-duplex mode, where the reverse channel
has the same bandwidth as the forward channel, both operating
concurrently.  If your normal use of the remote computer is as a
terminal communicating with a mainframe, that may not matter.  If
you're sending a lot of data both ways, it probably does.

Secondly, the major consideration for you should be what high
speed modems are available on the computer you intend to dial up.
Most high speed modems don't work with other brands or types.
That consideration alone will probably limit your choices.

			Mike Berger
			Center for Advanced Study
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (12/02/87)

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) writes:
< I have only one reservation.
<
< It's a proprietary protocol which will only work with Trailblazers.
< There are some almost-standards for 9600 baud (at least I think there
< are some standards), and telebit may get shut out of the game.

I seem to recall that the proposed standards ( e.g., from ISO ) suck.
They do things like fall back from 9600 to 4800 if there is too much
line noise.  The Trailblazer is much better.
--
Tim Smith, Knowledgian					tim@ism780c.isc.com

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (12/07/87)

In article <8093@ism780c.UUCP> tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
>david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) writes:
>< I have only one reservation.
><
>< It's a proprietary protocol which will only work with Trailblazers.
>I seem to recall that the proposed standards ( e.g., from ISO ) suck.
>They do things like fall back from 9600 to 4800 if there is too much
>line noise.  The Trailblazer is much better.

I completely understand and agree.

The trailblazer will fall back as well, but in 300 baud speed increments
instead of 4800 baud increments.

However, one version of reality is that the PTT's in various countries
control sales of modems within their countries.  Also .. those very
same PTT's are what makes up ISO.  (at least as far as communications
standards are concerned).  This gives modems adhering to the ISO
protocols an advantage in built-in sales even though the Telebit
protocol is superior in many many many ways.

Another version of reality is that if Telebit makes enough of a market
niche, then they'll become a defacto standard which the PTT's will have
to pay attention to because of pressure from their customers.
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

wunder@hpcea.UUCP (12/07/87)

> I seem to recall that the proposed standards ( e.g., from ISO ) suck.
> They do things like fall back from 9600 to 4800 if there is too much
> line noise.  The Trailblazer is much better.
> --
> Tim Smith, Knowledgian				tim@ism780c.isc.com

Well, you recall wrong.  The V.32 standard is for full-duplex (no
turnaround needed), synchronous traffic.  This is not what you want
for async login or UUCP, but it works great for IBM stuff, or HDLC
between IP gateways.  We use them for emergency backup between X.25
switches and gateways.

They are also great for demos, trade shows, etc.  HP had an IP
connection from the trade show at Usenix last winter back to Palo
Alto.  We used a 56Kbit satellite link and a V.32 modem in parallel.
We ran a similar link from Geneva for Telecom '87.

The fall back is in increments of 2400 bits/sec, and doesn't cause any
problem if your synchrous equipment uses external clock (the modem
will clock you at 9600, 7200, whatever).  Trailblazer falls back, too,
but in smaller increments.

So, V.32 doesn't suck, it is just different.  Trailblazer (PEP) and
V.32 use different (but equally effective) advanced singal processing
magic, and they have comparable performance (PEP is 18Kbits in one
direction, V.32 is 9600 in two directions).

PEP is spread spectrum with packets and retransmission, while V.32
uses signal cancelling and forward error correction (Trellis
encoding) without retransmission.  Different modem karma, as I said.

There is a CCITT 2400 baud standard that uses some of the V.32 tricks
and is more noise-resistant than the 1200 baud modems, but it didn't
catch on, alas.  It cost more, and the market went for the more
fragile 2400 baud modems that we all use.

wunder

pete@octopus.UUCP (12/07/87)

In article <7826@g.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) writes:
>In article <8093@ism780c.UUCP> tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
>>I seem to recall that the proposed standards ( e.g., from ISO ) suck.
>>They do things like fall back from 9600 to 4800 if there is too much
>>line noise.  The Trailblazer is much better.
>
>The trailblazer will fall back as well, but in 300 baud speed increments
>instead of 4800 baud increments.

Unless I am mistaken, the trailblazer falls back in 17.5 bps increments; at
least, that's what the transmit/receive bits-per-channel reports indicate. For
those of you who haven't yet joined the ranks of happy users: the modem has
several reports available if you inquire the value of certain S-registers.
Two of these show, for each of 511 bands spaced 7.8 Hz apart, how many bits
are being sent or received in each band. The number of bits/band adjusts
as a value in the set (0,2,4,6) individually for each band. If you compare
these numbers with the instantaneous transmit/receive rate (available in
another S-register), you find that a change of 2 in a single band corresponds
to approximately 17.5 bps change in the data rate. Note that since the modem
performs buffered data rate translation, there is no need for the host CPU
to know any of these details: on a bad line, the data throughput just goes
down!

In case you're wondering what kind of modem would have detailed reports
like this... that's only the beginning. There's even a report that shows line
noise level in each of the 512 bands in dBm to the nearest tenth! This thing
could probably be reprogrammed to be a nice signal analyzer.

Disclaimer: Just another (very) satisfied customer.
--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014