[comp.dcom.modems] Racal-Vadic "Maxwell 2400VP" troubles

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (12/22/87)

Is it just my bad luck, or does the Maxwell 2400VP have a real problem
dealing with slightly noisy phone lines?  I just got a 2400VP, and have
been having no end of problems with it.  It's almost unusable at 2400 baud
unless it's in MNP mode; I get all sorts of garbage in both directions on
the phone line.  In MNP mode, there are occasionally very long delays,
hinting that the modem is retransmitting a lot of stuff.  I don't have
problems like this with my Concord CDS 224.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

--Pat.

jbs@eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (12/23/87)

In article <3636@aw.sei.cmu.edu> pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) writes:

>Is it just my bad luck, or does the Maxwell 2400VP have a real problem
>dealing with slightly noisy phone lines?

I have used our 2400VP modems over MIT's old (1920's!) phone system
(they're installing a fancy ISDN setup now...) which can be very noisy
and have had almost no problems with noise at 2400 bps without MNP
being used.  Every once and a while there is an annoying noise burst,
but I'd hardly call it unusable (I usually use MNP now, so I don't
notice the occasional burst).

Jeff Siegal

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (12/25/87)

In article <3636@aw.sei.cmu.edu> pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) writes:

>Is it just my bad luck, or does the Maxwell 2400VP have a real problem
>dealing with slightly noisy phone lines?  I just got a 2400VP, and have
>been having no end of problems with it.

I think your modem is defective.
I've been using a 2400VP on lines that my old Courier choked on. I've
found the modem to be fast, reliable, 100% compatible with my software,
and _very_ resistant to line noise. It's a first-class product.
(It even has a _real_ volume control!)

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP