[comp.dcom.modems] Dialin/dialout Trailblazer?

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (12/26/87)

     I'm still looking for input from anyone actually using the Telebit
Trailblazer modems on Microport Sys V/AT. I've received some feedback
from someone using them on the 386 port but nothing from the 286 guys.
One of the secondary questions after simply "will the 286 support 9600
baud uucp" is:  are there any restrictions in the setup of the modem
itself that would prevent it from handling both dialins and dialouts ?  On
Microport we have a special device called /dev/ttyM0 that allows for
outgoing calls while having the getty going to modem for incoming. It
works great with the Hayes SM2400. Im just curious if some strange setup
parm in the Telebit limits its use to incoming or outgoing only at any
one time?  Thanks.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (12/27/87)

In article <440@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
> ... Im just curious if some strange setup
>parm in the Telebit limits its use to incoming or outgoing only at any
>one time?  Thanks.

Well.  I can't speak about MicroPort 'cause I've never seen it run ...
however ... I've run serial connections off of AT's at 9600 baud and
gotten good spead with Kermit.  (with Mess-Doss)  for what that's worth.

As for using the Telebit for incoming&outgoing calls ... yes it can be
done.  In our case it was easy because we've got source and I could
hack up a telebit dialer from the hayes dialer.  But you can also do
it inside the L.sys/SYSTEMS script.

What you do is configure the modem to be quiet all the time.  Otherwise
when it prints messages about the phone ringing (and the like) getty
will get confused.  When people call in, the CD line will go high,
getty's open will unhang, and the person will get the "login:" prompt
just like always.  When you want to make a call, you have your uucp
push the AT commands to make the modem be verbose, and then make
your phone call.  You'll also have to configure the modem to reset
to it's defaults when DTR drops and then make sure that DTR actually
does drop when you're done.  Another possibility might be:

	... assword: w0rd Last \d+++\d OK ATE0Q0V1O

(in L.sys) i.e. after you've gotten through the login sequence, escape
back to the command mode and send a command to make the modem quiet
again and then go back on line.
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET