[comp.dcom.modems] 9600 Baud Question

Bruce_Kahn@MAYTAG.CEO.DG.COM (12/23/87)

  I have been trying to decide on which 9600 modem to buy/upgrade
to.  I currently have a USR Courrier 2400 and want to go to 9600 (or
17.2 if worth the $$ and time).  I dont know how the cooperation
between USR and Hayes will work out but I have been told that if the
9600 scheme now in use by the USR modems is not adopted as the
"standard", you will receive a FREE upgrade to make your USR
conform.  Can anyone confirm/deny this and are there any suggestions
as to which I should/shouldnt get?  Thanks.    Bruce

wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (//ichael R. //ayne) (12/24/87)

In article <195.004254@adam.DG.COM> <Bruce_Kahn%MAYTAG.CEO.DG.COM@adam.DG.COM> writes:

>  I have been trying to decide on which 9600 modem to buy/upgrade
>to.  I currently have a USR Courrier 2400 and want to go to 9600 (or
>17.2 if worth the $$ and time).

	Having just obtained my 2 Telebit Trailblazer modems for $680 apiece,
I start to wonder why anyone would purchase anything else unless they were
in a situation where they had to confrom to existing 9600 baud modems.
With the processing power in these modems, there is no technological reason
why Telebit can not make their modem conform to the 9600 standard (when it is
finally developed).  Several people have voiced questions as to why the
company does not already do this, answers range from "lack of time" to
"the standard does not exist yet".  My personal opinion (looking at things
from a business point of view) is that Telebit does not wish to encourage
people to use other people's modems (no :-) here) but will do the protocol
when there is sufficiant demand.
	The trailblazer is a wonderful modem, I have less line noise with
it than any other modem I have used when talking at 1200 & 2400 baud as well.
High speed interactive mode is quite reasonable once you get used to the little
delay in character echo (certainly better than 2400 baud!).  The modem even
understands several protocols (kermit, uucp g, xmodem) and speeds up
the file xfer if one of these is used.  Since the technological issues have
been discussed here (at length) and are available from the company, I will not
repeat them.
	There are a few negative points about the modem.  Since I have not seen
any negative press on these, I thought I should balance the picture a bit:
	1) Although there are a lot of configuration registers, I can find
	no way to shut off the OK<cr><lf> response to commands (this could
	be just me).
	2) Interactive mode is packetized (an annoyance).  I understand that
	this is being addressed.
	3) The manual could use a few more examples in configuring the (many)
	registers (ideal would be a subheading under each register description
	of the suggested setting for common configurations: inbound, uucp out,
	and general outbound would be a good start).  The information is all
	there but you have to RTFM (not an enticing prospect when you have
	just unpacked them and are dying to try them out :-).
	4) The future, non bug-related, ROM upgrades could be made freely
	available/downloadable/duplicatable.  At present they cost a small
	amount.
	5) Many people do not understand what happens to a (smaller) machine
	when it has a couple of serial lines doing uucp at 19.2K.  Not really
	a Telebit problem, more a user perception issue.
	6) There is no second source for the modems.  This makes it extremely
	difficult to get the purchasing department of a large corporation to
	permit the purchase.  Of course, the 9600 baud modems are no better
	at present.
	7) An option to suspend transmission of the escape character until
	it is recognized as either a normal character (and transmitted) or
	an escape (and not transmitted) would be a welcome addition.
	8) At present, the modems must agree on which protocol they are going
	to "spoof".  This means that at least one of the modems must know
	what type of transmission it is going to do.  Optional automatic
	protocol recognition would be more desireable.
None of the above are really major problems (except, perhaps #6).  Considering
the price, I have a very hard time justifying anything else.  If you want
information call 800-TELEBIT and talk to the company directly.  If I had it to
do over, I'd buy them again.

Obviously, I have no connection withe TELEBIT (or I would have fixxed the
above problems).

/\/\ \/\/
--
Michael R. Wayne  ***  TMC & Associates  ***  INTERNET: wayne@ford-vax.arpa
uucp: {philabs | pyramid} !fmsrl7!wayne   OR   wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (12/25/87)

In article <5969@fmsrl7.UUCP> wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (/\/\ichael R. \/\/ayne) writes:
>In article <195.004254@adam.DG.COM> <Bruce_Kahn%MAYTAG.CEO.DG.COM@adam.DG.COM> writes:
>>  I have been trying to decide on which 9600 modem to buy/upgrade
>>to.  I currently have a USR Courrier 2400 and want to go to 9600 (or
>>17.2 if worth the $$ and time).
>        There are a few negative points about the modem.  Since I have not seen
>any negative press on these, I thought I should balance the picture a bit:
>        1) Although there are a lot of configuration registers, I can find
>        no way to shut off the OK<cr><lf> response to commands (this could
>        be just me).

That's not true.  I had one of 'em being totally quiet.  I don't
remember the exact settings, and I don't have the modem right now
so I can't look, but some permutation of the E, V, and Q settings
will get the modem to be totally quiet

>        2) Interactive mode is packetized (an annoyance).  I understand that
>        this is being addressed.

Apparently it used to be WORSE with delays up to 1-2 seconds for echo.
I found it to be ok .. there were delays but I was able to train
myself to the delays ...

>        3) The manual could use a few more examples in configuring the (many)
>        registers (ideal would be a subheading under each register description
>        of the suggested setting for common configurations: inbound, uucp out,
>        and general outbound would be a good start).  The information is all
>        there but you have to RTFM (not an enticing prospect when you have
>        just unpacked them and are dying to try them out :-).

YES!!!!

If I hadn't saved away that posting from Rick I'd have been lost.

>        6) There is no second source for the modems.  This makes it extremely
>        difficult to get the purchasing department of a large corporation to
>        permit the purchase.  Of course, the 9600 baud modems are no better
>        at present.

Not true any longer.  On P 282 of _Data_Communications_ there is an
announcement from VenTel of a modem which does PEP "(making it compatible
with the Telebit Trailblazer and *other*PEP*compables)."  (emphasis mine)
All the specs they mention are very similar to those of the Trailblazer,
so I won't repeat them here.  There's a picture included ... the lights
on the fron't aren't the same as on the Trailblazer.  (No SLOW light
for instance).  So it aint' just a Trailblazer with a VenTel tag
on it.

What's this about OTHER PEP compatables???   hmmm...

ANyway, for the low low low price of $1399 you can drive this sucker
home and impress all your neighbors. :-)

	VenTel Inc.
	2121 Zanker Rd.
	San Jose, CA  95131-2177

Hope this helps
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (12/29/87)

I use a Telebit trailblaizer from home at 9600 baud quite a bit.
The turnaround dealy really isn't objectionable.  All the other
attributes of the modem more than offset the small turnaround
delay.  When I know that I am going to be doing editing where I am
looking at the screen, and delay might confuse me, I switch to 2400
baud FDX.  2400 is fine for document entry.

I'm curious in hearing what people manage to get for real world
throughputs.  I typically get about 550 char/sec for uucp xfers
twixt the vax at work and my 3b1 at home using the g protocol
spoofing feature.  The instaneous line rate is usually about 14500
toward me and about 16000 bps toward the vax.  I suspect that the
load on the vax is keeping the xfer rate "so low".

One peculiarity I've noticed with the Trailblazer is that is always
sends ^S ^Q when it goes off hook receiving a call except in PEP
mode.  For some reason the ^S ^Q has peculiar interactions with
login on 4.2BSD.  You can hit \r a couple of times, get a couple of
"login:" prompts.  The first login attempt will fail, despite a
correct userid and passwd being entered!  This really drove me
crazy until I attached a serial line analyzer to see what was
happening.  This is only a "bug" in 1200 and 2400 baud connects.
PEP mode doesn't do it.   It is pretty easy to handle this in the
handshaking sequence in L.sys or Systems, as appropriate, once you
know what is going on.  I made sure that I had ATE0Q3 set.

I can see why they do it.  On a VMS machine (and probably some
others) you have to make sure the line wakes up by entering a ^Q.
Why they send a ^S first, I don't know.  Why not in PEP mode, I
don't know.

Happy holidays,
--Bill

mw3s+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Martin Weiss) (12/30/87)

pyramid!fmsrl7!wayne@lll-lcc.llnl.gov  (//ichael R. //ayne) writes:

"With the processing power in these modems, there is no technological reason
why Telebit can not make their modem conform to the 9600 standard (when it is
finally developed)."

I would like to point out that the full-duplex 9600bps dialup standard, V.32,
was approved by the CCITT in 1984.  Several vendors have products that
conform to this standard.