[comp.dcom.modems] uucp dialer problem

alex@oravax.UUCP (01/16/88)

I am having a problem with the Hayes 2400 dialer in uucp.  I have a
Vax running 4.3BSD connected to several modems.  All of them work fine
when accessed via tip or kermit, but when the Hayes 2400 is used by
uucp, I get the following debugging output:

root oravax (1/7-09:15-22491) DEBUG (Local Enabled)
finds (orawest) called
getto: call no. 9,14153291916 for sys orawest
Using ACU to call
Dialing 9,14153291916
Using hayes2400tone
dc - /dev/tty07
ATZH
OK
AT&F&D3&C1E0X1ATDT9,14153291916
OK
lost line kr - -1
, root orawest (1/7-09:15-22491) LOST LINE (LOGIN)
root orawest (1/7-09:15-22491) FAILED (HSM no carrier)
Hanging up fd = 6

The "lost line..." message sometimes occurs a few lines earlier, so it
does not appear to be caused by the preceding Hayes command.  Rather,
it almost looks like an alarm is being set and not cancelled.  I
looked at the dialer source, but the only alarm in there which gets
set is cancelled.

I did try removing the &D3 and the &C1 from the command... the only
effect came from removing &D3, which made it take longer to register
the HSM no carrier error, and without the LOST lINE error... in addition,
the whole port hangs up if I give it the &D3 command in kermit.

The modem is plugged into a DZ11, and so gets only partial modem control.

Thanks in advance for the help.

--
           Alex Feldman

           oravax!alex@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu               (ARPANET)
           ...{rochester,allegra}!cornell!oravax!alex       (UUCP)

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris R. Lewis) (01/21/88)

In article <177@oravax.UUCP> alex@oravax.UUCP writes:

>I am having a problem with the Hayes 2400 dialer in uucp.  I have a
>Vax running 4.3BSD connected to several modems.  All of them work fine
>when accessed via tip or kermit, but when the Hayes 2400 is used by
>uucp, I get the following debugging output:

>OK
>AT&F&D3&C1E0X1ATDT9,14153291916
>OK
>lost line kr - -1
>, root orawest (1/7-09:15-22491) LOST LINE (LOGIN)
>root orawest (1/7-09:15-22491) FAILED (HSM no carrier)

I suspect that your problem is arising from the &F - which does a hangup.

The reason for this is that 4.3 UUCP appears to open the modem with
modem control enabled and SIGHUP and when the &F comes along, 4.3 UUCP thinks
the carrier dropped - even though it shouldn't really be expecting one yet.
I was just looking at this code a little while ago - tho my message
was different from yours (we're running 4.3 UUCP on Xenix 3) and we
were getting the open never working because carrier wasn't on.

We run our Smartteam 2400 with:

	- modem respects host's DTR
	- modem continuously provides DCD
	- modem continuously provides DSR

Why not try a "Z" instead (which is I think a little less drastic.

Our cu is a little smarter: on a ACU line it opens it O_NDELAY
(don't wait for carrier) and then fcntl's the carrier monitoring later
on when the modem has established a connection.
--
Chris Lewis, Spectrix Microsystems Inc,
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo, lsuc}!spectrix!clewis