[comp.dcom.modems] 17.4 vs 19.2 Baud Question

Bruce_Kahn@MAYTAG.CEO.DG.COM (01/13/88)

  I have seen adds and BBS using new 17.4Kbaud modems recently.  I
was unaware (being relatively new) that there was such an animal as
17.4 but rather the next step was 19.2 (from 9600).  Why are 17.4
modems being produced/used in the public sector?  Is there some
limitation involved in getting a 19.2 modem (this is all for micros
mind you)?  I want to upgrade from my Courier 2400 to something
faster but am a bit confused.  Can anyone help?   Bruce

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (01/26/88)

In article <161.005028@adam.DG.COM> <Bruce_Kahn%MAYTAG.CEO.DG.COM@adam.DG.COM> writes:
>  I have seen adds and BBS using new 17.4Kbaud modems recently.  I
>was unaware (being relatively new) that there was such an animal as
>17.4 but rather the next step was 19.2 (from 9600).

Uh, are you sure it wasn't 14.4Kbps? That's a real common speed for high-end
dialup V.29 and V.32 modems. I've never heard of 17.4, and it seems unlikely.

>Is there some limitation involved in getting a 19.2 modem...?

Running at very high speeds (4800 and up) over conventional switched telephone
lines is a difficult problem. And the faster you go, the tougher it gets.
There just isn't a whole lot of bandwidth in a phone line, and the connection
is subject to a wide range of interference. A number of different strategies
have been developed to get very high speeds, with varying degrees of success.
Keep reading this newsgroup, and you will see discussion on many of them.

I'd like to think that within a few years we'll see only two technologies in
widespread use: V.32 and Telebit's DAMQAM/PEP. Low-cost vendors are offering
real V.32 9600 bps modems now -- a very good thing.

>I want to upgrade from my Courier 2400 to something faster but am a bit
>confused.

No wonder. I've been talking to datacomm managers who are also confused! The
best advice at present is to wait. But if you really must buy something faster
now, talk to as many people you know who are doing the same things as you want
to do. Find out what modem they're using. Then shop for the best price. But do
remember that unless you buy a DAMQAM/PEP or a real V.32 modem, you are buying
a short-term compromise.

<csg>