[comp.dcom.modems] Comark 2400 baud modem

denber.wbst@XEROX.COM (12/07/87)

Has anyone used or heard of a "Comark Desktop II 2400 baud modem"?   This would
be for use as an autoanswer modem on a VMS system.  Any comments, positive or
negative, would be appreciated.  Thanks.

			- Michel

luiten@arizona.edu (John Luiten) (12/12/87)

In article <871207-082705-2763@Xerox>, denber.wbst@XEROX.COM writes:
> Has anyone used or heard of a "Comark Desktop II 2400 baud modem"?   This would
> be for use as an autoanswer modem on a VMS system.  Any comments, positive or
> negative, would be appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> 			- Michel

We've got four of them.  All worked out of the box and still work.  We do not
use them in autoanswer mode however.

--John

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (01/21/88)

in article <871207-082705-2763@Xerox>, denber.wbst@XEROX.COM says:

> Has anyone used or heard of a "Comark Desktop II 2400 baud modem"?

Assuming you mean the "Desktalk" not "Desktop" I can give you an opinion.

I've had bad luck with it. A friend and I both ordered it, his arrived
DOA, mine died three weeks after it arrived. It worked well for two
weeks, then rapidly became unusable. Comark (aka USA Flex) was very
decent about refunding our money, for what that's worth.

Construction is on the cheap side, a hobby-type plastic case, a very
tinny speaker, and a 7805 regulator on a large heatsink inside the case
makes the case get pretty warm.

Other people seem happy with it, but I can't recommend it.

I've also tried the Everex 2400 external. The speaker phone isn't worth
much, it works, but sounds like one of those $10 phones. It seems solid
and well built, but on my Amiga it will not upload (Xmodem, Ymodem) at
2400 baud. It works fine on an IBM PC, and a genuine Hayes works on my
Amiga, so there is something marginal in the Everex's performance.

The Everex is going back, and my next experiment is the Practical
Peripherials 2400 SA (Stand Alone). It's been recommended here, and
several people I know have them running on their Amigas.

I'm beginning to wonder if cheap modems are worth the price.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Addresses:  {ihnp4,ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

lee@rocksanne.uucp (Lee Moore) (01/28/88)

I have had a Desktalk II 2400 for about 6 months.  It seems to work
well enough.  My modem does get occasional spurious characters but that
happens with more expensive modems too.

If I had to do it again, I might look into getting the
MNP model.

Lee