[comp.dcom.modems] Manual connecting with Honey Danbar

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (01/20/88)

   I just recently converted my system to Honey Danbar UUCP from normal
UUCP. For occasional debugging and playing around, I came to rely
heavily on the /usr/lib/uucp/uusub command for issue immediate
connections to various systems. What command or series of commands
could I use under HDB that would provide the same feature ?  I've used
Uutry and it does about what I want but is accompanied by screens full
of debugging information. I would just like to quietly and simply issue
a manual "poll" of a system. Any ideas ??  Thanks.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

wescott@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (01/21/88)

In article <461@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

> ...I've used
> Uutry and it does about what I want but is accompanied by screens full
> of debugging information. I would just like to quietly and simply issue
> a manual "poll" of a system. Any ideas ??  Thanks.

Uutry is just a shell script.  Copy it to your private bin directory and
edit it to your hearts content.  Or if you use Bourne of Korn shells set
up a shell function that has as its innards most of Uutry (if you want
to get fancy) or try this one.

poll()
{
rm -f /usr/spool/uucp/.Status/$i
/usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -s$1 &
}

	-Mike Wescott
--
	-Mike Wescott
	 wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (01/26/88)

It doesn't get rid of *absolutely* all of the debugging, but all
but just a couple of lines can be got rid of by saying "-x0" in
the Uutry command, like:
	/usr/lib/uucp/Uutry -x0 -r SITE
If you use a -x option on the Uutry command line, the value you
give overrides the default in the shell script.  This can be used
to give varying amounts of debugging information, per the documentation
of the -x flag to uucico.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"Intel architectures build character."

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (01/26/88)

In article <461@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>   I just recently converted my system to Honey Danbar UUCP from normal
>UUCP. For occasional debugging and playing around, I came to rely
>heavily on the /usr/lib/uucp/uusub command for issue immediate
>connections to various systems. What command or series of commands
>could I use under HDB that would provide the same feature ?  I've used
>Uutry and it does about what I want but is accompanied by screens full
>of debugging information. I would just like to quietly and simply issue
>a manual "poll" of a system. Any ideas ??  Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the uusub command, but it is a simple matter to
poll another site manually.  Just use uucico like this:

	/usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -sSITENAME

where SITENAME is the name of the site you wish to poll.  Use the -x9
option to get maximum debugging information if you need it.

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) (01/28/88)

In article <3577@mcdchg.UUCP> heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) writes:
>It doesn't get rid of *absolutely* all of the debugging, but all
>but just a couple of lines can be got rid of by saying "-x0" in
>the Uutry command, like:
>	/usr/lib/uucp/Uutry -x0 -r SITE

You can also redirect all the other stuff to /dev/null:

	uucico -r1 -s SYSTEM -x0  > /dev/null 2>&1&

Kathy Vincent ------>  {ihnp4|mtune|codas|ptsfa}!bakerst!kathy
              ------>  {ihnp4|mtune|burl}!wrcola!kathy
              ------>  { favourite AT&T gateway }!wruxe!unix