[comp.dcom.modems] Cheap 2400 baud modem/Advice wanted on Practical Peripherals

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (01/29/88)

2400
I'm sure this type of question has been asked hundreds of times before, but
I'm new here and would appreciate some advice.  Please send mail replies...

A few people that I know locally have recently purchased the Practical
Peripherals 2400 baud modem (external) and report they are satisfied with it.
Anyone else out there have experience with this modem?  Any comments, good or
bad, will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Jim   -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)

andy@rbdc.UUCP (Andy Pitts) (02/03/88)

In article <422@lakesys.UUCP>, macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) writes:
> 2400
> A few people that I know locally have recently purchased the Practical
> Peripherals 2400 baud modem (external) and report they are satisfied with it.
> Anyone else out there have experience with this modem?  Any comments, good or
> bad, will be appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Jim   -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)

I tried to used a PP 2400 modem for dial-in, dial-out on unix sys 5.  In many
ways I was impressed with the modem (It *does* get hot), but it has some
other problems.

It does not like to switch up to 2400 bps if someone has previously called
it at a lower speed.  The fix for this seems simple.  Set S23=3, this
will cause it to enter 2400bps mode on power up or reset.  Set "AT&D3",
this will cause it to reset when DTR is dropped.  This works well except
for a small problem.  As long as the person calling into the system
logs out, and the system drops DTR, the modem hands up and resets.  But
if carrier is lost for some reason (maybe the person hung up) the modem
drops DCD (if AT&C1) but stops watching DTR and waits some time (defined
in S10) before going on hook.  It therefore does not get reset and may not
connect at 2400 bps for the next caller.  There is a fix for this, set
S10=255.  This disables the hang up feature and the modem will hang up
when DTR drops and is reset.  This should work fine, but S10 is *not* saved
in non-volatile memory, so it will work exactly once, and S10 is reset to
the default value.  Only 9 of the 27 registers are saved in non-volatile
memory.  To make it work reliably you need to fix getty to send some
AT commands when it comes up.

I called Practical Peripherals, explained the problem, and was told that
nothing could be done.  I ask if I could talk to an engineer and was told
the were all busy on other projects and did not have time to talk about
the PMS2400SA.

We got a Trailblazer. :-)

The bottom line is:  This is a nice modem if you have a pc or are going
to use it for dial out only, but it has problems, and Practical Preipherals
seems unwilling to put any time on it.

Discalmer: I have nothing to do with Practical Peripherals, Trailblazer
or any one else.  Some other PM2400SA may not behave as above (maybe mine
was broke  :-) ).

Andy Pitts  {wrcola, bakerst, gladys}!rbdc!andy