[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit firmware ??

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (02/06/88)

    I just received my Telebit Trailblazer and have been pulling my
hair out trying to get it to work. Im running Microport Sys V/AT.
I have a freind with virtually the same setup and he has the modem
working fine. So I know if *can* work. The obvious thing is that
his TB+ has firmware 3.01 and mine came with 4.0. Does anyone know
what was done with 4.0 that may be causing my problem in trying to
copy my freinds register settings ?  I can get it to dial and connect
but after the connect it just sits there and eventually hangs up. I've
reverted back to my Hayes SM2400 until I get it figured out. Im running
Honneydanber UUCP, but for some reason the Microport version doesnt
appear to support the "Dialers" file. Anyone with suggestions on any
of this ? Thanks.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

In article <477@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>     I just received my Telebit Trailblazer and have been pulling my
> hair out trying to get it to work. Im running Microport Sys V/AT.
> I have a freind with virtually the same setup and he has the modem
> working fine. So I know if *can* work. The obvious thing is that
> his TB+ has firmware 3.01 and mine came with 4.0. Does anyone know
> what was done with 4.0 that may be causing my problem in trying to
> copy my freinds register settings ?

One thing to check is that you are both using the same kind of modem
cableing.  If he is using the "basic 3-wire" connection and you are
using more modem control signals, you might see different results
with the same register settings.  The same holds true as far as using
different "names" for the communications line that enable/disable
modem control/waiting for carrier detect.

Telebit modems are "real" modems - hook up at least pins 2,3,4,5,6,7,8
and 20 in your computer-modem cable...

TELEBIT:

Can you post a list of general changes between major Firmware revisions?

Don't be shy - your presence here is greatly desired, and as long as
you are answering user questions vs. blowing company trumpets or joining
flame wars about Telebit vs. Courier HST, etc modems, there should be
no significant complaints about commercial abuse of the net.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (02/10/88)

I cu'ed the register settings I had been using with ver 3.05
firmware to a ver 4.0 and saw no difference in the way the new
modem behaves (other than the internal speaker on the Trailblazer
Plus isn't as loud as the older model).  The 4.0 has talked to a
modem running 3.05 successfully.

--Bill