[comp.dcom.modems] Has anyone gotten a Trailblazer working on tty000

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (02/01/88)

I am considering upgrading to a faster modem (the on board modem at
1200 baud doesn't cut it anymore)... I'll like to get a 2400 baud modem,
but with the advent of 9600-19200 baud modems now, I would love to
have a full news feed at 9600+ baud in 45 minutes or less :-)

Has anyone successfully gotten the Telebit Trailblazer modems configured
to work on UNIX PC on tty000.  What problems did you run into?  What
configuration details were there?  Do you need HDB (I'm using)?  What
kind of throughput are you getting?

Thanks,
Lenny
--
============================ US MAIL:   Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group
 IIIII   CCC   U   U   SSSS             PO Box 1

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (02/02/88)

yes, trailblazers work ok on unix-pc's ...

I had two for testing (before ordering the 2 we've got on order)
and had one on the vax here and one on my 3b1 at home.  They configured
about the same and it worked fine.  I only had the one at home running
at 9600 baud rather than 19.2 kbaud 'cause the uucp didn't support
the faster speed.  (I've got the stock uucp in the machine since I
haven't gone to the trouble of setting up HDB yet).  Given that little
tidbit, the 8000 baud effective throughput looks pretty good.
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

dmk@dmk3b1.UUCP (David Keaton) (02/03/88)

In article <241@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>Has anyone successfully gotten the Telebit Trailblazer modems configured
>to work on UNIX PC on tty000.  What problems did you run into?  What
>configuration details were there?  Do you need HDB (I'm using)?  What
>kind of throughput are you getting?

     Yes, I have, with no problems.  Just configure the Unix PC to
believe that there's a 9600bps Hayes modem on tty000, and then add the
following line on to the end of L-devices.
DIR tty000 0 9600
Then "cu -s 9600 -l tty000" and you're ready to configure the modem.
Most of the defaults are already set up the way you want them.  The rest
of the options should be set as follows.
AT Q4		(partial quiet mode so getty won't see "CONNECT" message
			but dialout is still verbose)
AT S51=4	(set interface speed at 9600)
AT S52=1	(recognize DTR)
AT S53=1	(interpret DCD and DTR properly)
AT S54=1	(pass Breaks through to remote host)
AT S58=2	(use hardware flow control)
AT S66=1	(lock interface speed, unless you want to modify gettydefs)
AT S110=1	(enable data compression)
AT S111=30	(enable UUCP 'g' spoofing)
AT &W		(write these changes to non-volatile memory)

     And that's it.  You're all set up.  Don't forget to modify your
L.sys file to always talk to the modem at 9600 if you have locked the
interface speed there.  It shouldn't matter which UUCP you're running.

     Now that you've got it working at 9600, if you want the serial
interface to run at 19200 you can change L-devices, L.sys, and
/etc/inittab accordingly, but you won't be able to use cu or the
terminal emulator because they don't understand that speed.  Also, as
mentioned earlier in comp.sys.att, you will have to modify
/etc/gettydefs .  Just change the two occurrances of "B19200" to "EXTA"
to fool it into giving you the speed you want.

     With the interface speed set at 19200bps, I get between 700 and
1200cps throughput depending on what machine I'm talking to, what speed
its interface is running at (9600 or 19200), and how busy it is.  As far
as I can tell, I haven't experienced phone line noise bad enough to
affect the speed.
--
					David Keaton
					dmk%dmk3b1@uunet.uu.net

jcs@tarkus.UUCP (John C. Sucilla) (02/04/88)

In article <241@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>I am considering upgrading to a faster modem (the on board modem at
>1200 baud doesn't cut it anymore)... I'll like to get a 2400 baud modem,

I had my PC6300 directly connected to my 3B1 on tty000 for awhile. This didnt
last long because when I powered the 6300 down the 3B1 would panic every once
in a while. Later I tried connecting my AT&T 4024 modem to tty00. This
"worked" but had some weird problems of it's own, at least it never crashed
the machine. The main problem I had with this was that uugetty (HDB uucp)
would start talking to the modem which was in Hayes mode. Uugetty thought
somebody was trying to login, this could go on for hours. I don't remember
what was causing this right now but it sure was a pain in the butt.

Things are running a lot better now that the modem is connected to tty001
and the Hardware Flow Control (HFC) package from the STORE! is installed.
The first difference I noticed was that the DTR lamp was off until CD got
asserted. On tty000, DTR was always there. There is still one problem
with this configuration though, when a remote user dials in and gets
blown off the machine for some reason the users shell never terminates
even though CD went away. If they logoff normally uugetty launches again
as expected.

Oh, by the way, I don't know if HFC is available to non AT&T personnel
and I hope I'm not starting another "We can't get HDB so shut up" wars.
--
John "C" Sucilla
{ihnp4}!tarkus!jcs

Don't let reality stop you....

rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (02/07/88)

In article <8176@e.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) writes:
>(I've got the stock uucp in the machine since I
>haven't gone to the trouble of setting up HDB yet).

Hey Wait!

You aren't at&t!

Where'd you get HDB?  I want one too!

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (02/08/88)

In article <2772@oxtrap.UUCP>, rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:
> >(I've got the stock uucp in the machine since I
> >haven't gone to the trouble of setting up HDB yet).
>
> Hey Wait!
>
> You aren't at&t!
>
> Where'd you get HDB?  I want one too!

<<Perhaps, the "trouble of setting up HDB yet", the getting HDB in
the first place, to set up :-) >>

Hi,

I just got in a Telebit Trailblazer Plus to experiment with.  I
have been using a "regular" Trailblazer for the last several months
on my 3b1.  The plus seems like a very nice unit.  The circuitry is
more highly integrated, thus power consumption is cut, obviating
the need for a fan.  The RF-proofing is also better on the plus.
All in all, the Plus should be an even more reliable unit.

I've yet to get a chance to try the additional features of the 4.0
firmware.  Most interesting is the additon of a low speed reverse
channel that is supposed to get rid of the need to ping-pong the
connection when you're using the TB Plus for dial-up data entry,
packet ACKs, etc.  One of the other sites in the area is supposed
to be getting a 4.0 version soon (I hope).

Today's SYSLOG entries at my machine, impulse, show that it was
getting about 900 - 950 char/sec on messages between 2000 and 4000
char.  I didn't have any long traffic today.  That is quite a bit
better than previous figures.  I plan to investigate the Plus more
rigorously next week.

I'm planning to  pit the Plus against a Microcom 9624AX, US
Robotics, and Racal.  Of the four modems above, the construction
quality is best in the Plus.  The Microcom is second, with the USR
a close third.  The Racal has quite a few fix-up jumpers inside.
Of the four, the Plus is the only modem not using the Rockwell
chipset for 0-2400 baud; Telebit uses an AMD "Worldchip".

--Bill

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (02/09/88)

In article <2772@oxtrap.UUCP> rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:
>In article <8176@e.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) writes:
>>(I've got the stock uucp in the machine since I
>>haven't gone to the trouble of setting up HDB yet).
>Hey Wait!
>
>You aren't at&t!
>
>Where'd you get HDB?  I want one too!

weeell..

nothing tricky is going on.  we're a university and have been running
unices of various flavors since at least 1979.  specifically, hdb comes
with the SysVr2 and r3 that we've been running on our at&t 3b2's
and 3b20 ... all I'd have to do is send the source over to one of
our 3b1's, compile it, et voila we've got hdb on a 3b1.  I doubt
if there's any hacking to do to get it working, but if there is
I wouldn't have any/much trouble doing it...

And, no, I wouldn't be able to send you one after I did this
since we're not allowed to re-distribute things ...
--

stevo@jane.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Steve Groom) (02/12/88)

In article <40@tarkus.UUCP> jcs@tarkus.UUCP (John C. Sucilla) writes:
>....There is still one problem
>with this configuration though, when a remote user dials in and gets
>blown off the machine for some reason the users shell never terminates
>even though CD went away. If they logoff normally uugetty launches again
>as expected.

I had this problem with a Sun 2/170. When the 'Blazer disconnects, it
holds DSR off for some period (specified by S47).  If that period
isn't long enough for the host to see it drop, then the host doesn't know
that the connection is gone. The default setting for S47 is 4 (=200ms), I set
it at 40 (2 sec) and the host started seeing the disconnect. Maybe that's
overdoing it a bit, but it worked...

-steve

/* Steve Groom, MS 168-522, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA 91109
 * Internet: stevo@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov   UUCP: {ames,cit-vax}!elroy!stevo
 * Disclaimer: (thick German accent) "I know noothingg! Noothingg!"
 */