[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit + MicroVAX + Ultrix 2.0

daveb@llama.rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) (02/11/88)

Before I start whacking away at cables, I'd like to know what experience
anyone has had with making hardware flow control work between a
Trailblazer and a MicroVAX II running Ultrix 2.0.  We're having the
typical problem where you don't want ^S/^Q on a line being used by
uucp, but do want interactive dialup to/from slower modems to work.

Any hints appreciated,

-dB

"People will do anything for a potato."
{amdahl, cpsc6a, mtxinu, ptsfa, sun, hoptoad}!rtech!daveb daveb@rtech.uucp

jerry@oliveb.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre) (02/19/88)

In article <1704@rtech.UUCP> daveb@rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) writes:
>Before I start whacking away at cables, I'd like to know what experience
>anyone has had with making hardware flow control work between a
>Trailblazer and a MicroVAX II running Ultrix 2.0.  We're having the
>typical problem where you don't want ^S/^Q on a line being used by
>uucp, but do want interactive dialup to/from slower modems to work.

But you don't NEED flow control for UUCP.  The ACKs in the 'g' protocol
provide enough flow control.  Besides, I assume that when the
Trailblazer goes into 'g' spoofing mode it disables xon-xoff
processing.
			Jerry Aguirre

daveb@llama.rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) (02/23/88)

In article <15434@oliveb.olivetti.com> jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) sez:
>In article <1704@rtech.UUCP> I say:
>>Before I start whacking away at cables, I'd like to know what experience
>>anyone has had with making hardware flow control work between a
>>Trailblazer and a MicroVAX II running Ultrix 2.0.  We're having the
>>typical problem where you don't want ^S/^Q on a line being used by
>>uucp, but do want interactive dialup to/from slower modems to work.
>
>But you don't NEED flow control for UUCP.  The ACKs in the 'g' protocol
>provide enough flow control.  Besides, I assume that when the
>Trailblazer goes into 'g' spoofing mode it disables xon-xoff
>processing.
>			Jerry Aguirre

Yes you do, if you are also using the TB as a dialin line.  UUCP takes
care of itself OK, but when a user cats a file, you need some flow
control to keep the CPU from overruning the modem.

-dB
"Do you programmers do sh*t like this a lot?"   "Every g*d*mn day."
{amdahl, cpsc6a, mtxinu, ptsfa, sun, hoptoad}!rtech!daveb daveb@rtech.uucp