[comp.dcom.modems] Cheapest Price for MNP Level 5?

joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) (02/02/88)

	All this discussions of MNP data compression has aroused my
	curiosity. What is the cheapest price one can buy a MNP level
	5 or better modem? I've seen MNP level 4 modems in the low
	$200s, but I would assume that the level 5 modems would be
	a lot more.  Are they substanially cheaper than the Telebits?
--
   Joel Upchurch @ CONCURRENT Computer Corporation (305-850-1040)
   Southern Development Center/2486 Sand Lake Road/ Orlando, Florida 32809

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (02/02/88)

>What is the cheapest price one can buy a MNP level 5 or better modem?

MNP 5 modems are still pretty scarce, since Microcom only recently started
licensing up to level 5. For V.22bis MNP 5, I'm only aware of the Incomm Turbo
4800 ($450), Microcom AX2400C ($650), Multitech 224EH ($400), and Ven-tel
2400-33 ($450). Prices are approximately what people have been paying. Notice
that only Incomm has the gall to actually put "4800" in the model number.

>Are they substanially cheaper than the Telebits?

Almost any consumer grade modem is substantially cheaper than a TrailBlazer.
But almost any car is cheaper than a Farrari, too. :-) (Actually, the analogy
extends further. High speed cars require a lot of attention and hassling to
perform as they should. High speed modems likewise.)

<csg>

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (02/23/88)

In article <14211@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>Almost any consumer grade modem is substantially cheaper than a TrailBlazer.
>But almost any car is cheaper than a Farrari, too. :-) (Actually, the analogy
>extends further. High speed cars require a lot of attention and hassling to
>perform as they should. High speed modems likewise.)

I disagree.  The Trailblazer manual is indeed thicker than any other
modem manual I've read, but once I had my uucico, L.sys, and L-devices
set up, the Trailblazer has been the most reliable and predictable
modem I've ever worked with, better than Hayes 1200, 2400, and Vadic
2400's.  If only all the modems on the far end of my uucp connections
were as reliable...