[comp.dcom.modems] Need info on Anderson Jacobson AJ1234

gwr@linus.UUCP (Gordon W. Ross) (02/23/88)

I am looking for information about my Anderson Jacobson (model AJ1234)
modem.  It has both an acoustic coupler and a direct connection
ability,  but it does not seem to respond to a Bell 212 answer
carrier.  I am hoping someone can find a user's manual for this
anchor, or perhaps just tell me what this thing is.

I'm not sure what signal states it wants on the RS232 port or what
connections can be made to its "DAA/DIRECT" connector (has six large
pins in a row).  I tried playing with the control lines on its RS232
port using a breakout box but could not get the thing to communicate.
I would like to know if this thing is not working or if I'm just not
using it correctly.

It has switches inside to select baud rate (1200 or 600 bps), parity,
bits per symbol, carrier frequency (1200, 1205, or 1225 Hz),
synchronous or asynchronous mode, and transmit/receive power levels
for direct connection.

Any information, suggestions, or especially a user's manual would be
very helpful.  Thank-you...
--
Gordon W. Ross	MITRE (E025), Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730
gwr%linus@mitre-bedford.arpa	{decvax,philabs}!linus!gwr.UUCP

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (02/23/88)

In article <25012@linus.UUCP>, gwr@linus.UUCP (Gordon W. Ross) writes:
> I am looking for information about my Anderson Jacobson (model AJ1234)
> modem.  It has both an acoustic coupler and a direct connection
> ability,  but it does not seem to respond to a Bell 212 answer
> carrier.  I am hoping someone can find a user's manual for this
> anchor, or perhaps just tell me what this thing is.

The AJ 1234 (also sold as Racal-Vadic 34xx series) is incompatible
with the AT&T 212-compatible modems.  It will talk with other AJ or
RV modems.  It has the advantage (over the 212) that it is able to
work with an accoustic coupler.  It was designed for this
application, and uses a carrier frequency and modulation technique
that is insensitive to the distortion typical of a telephone
handset's carbon transmitter.  The 212-compatibles are not capable
of being accoustically coupled.  The problem with the AJ/RV modems
is that they never became a "standard".

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.

latzko@athos.rutgers.edu (Alex ) (02/24/88)

In article <25012@linus.UUCP> gwr@linus.UUCP (Gordon W. Ross) writes:
>I am looking for information about my Anderson Jacobson (model AJ1234)
>Gordon W. Ross	MITRE (E025), Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730
>gwr%linus@mitre-bedford.arpa	{decvax,philabs}!linus!gwr.UUCP

I have one.  It is a  VA3400 compatible modem.  VA3400 is a 1200 baud
protocol promulgated by Racal Vadic in the early 1970s.  There are
many (myself among them) who think it is a better protocol than Bell
212A.

They do; however, work best on a fairly clean line.  The microphone
and speaker in your AJ1234 not new since as far as I know they have
been out of production for at least seven years.

The last time I saw one for sale was at the Trenton Computer Faire
last year.  If memory serves it was tagged at $15.00.

hope this helps
/S*