[comp.dcom.modems] trailblazer modems and apollo UUCP

bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (02/16/88)

	I'm looking for information in getting a
Telebit trailblazer modem and using it with
Apollo UUCP (SR 9.6).  Is there anyone out there
who is doing this at the moment?  Apollo UUCP
says they only support Hayes, Vadic, and
Ventic modems but is there a way with the
L.sys file to fake it out???
--
     Vince Skahan            Boeing Computer Services - Phila.
    (215) 591-4116           INTERNET:  bcs212%psev@boeing.com

bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (02/24/88)

In article <121@vader.UUCP>, bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) writes:

> 	I'm looking for information in getting a
> Telebit trailblazer modem and using it with
> Apollo UUCP (SR 9.6).  Is there anyone out there
> who is doing this at the moment?  Apollo UUCP
> says they only support Hayes, Vadic, and
> Ventic modems but is there a way with the
> L.sys file to fake it out???
> --

 ====> sorry folks, I didn't know that blazers were Hayes-compatible.

	For the record, I got a couple of evaluation modems from
the local Telebit distributor and they came up quite nicely and
very easily reached 18000+ for mailing ~25000 byte files. Only detail
is that Apollo UUCP won't take a speed above 9600 in the L.sys and
L-devices files (but the trailblazer figures out it's talking to
another one and kicks in PEP mode).  I haven't tried compresses news
over a trailblazer but I have no reason to believe that won't be
equally as good.

--

In article <130@vader.UUCP> bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) writes:

> 	For the record, I got a couple of evaluation modems from
> the local Telebit distributor and they came up quite nicely and
> very easily reached 18000+ for mailing ~25000 byte files. Only detail
> is that Apollo UUCP won't take a speed above 9600 in the L.sys and
> L-devices files (but the trailblazer figures out it's talking to
> another one and kicks in PEP mode).  I haven't tried compresses news
> over a trailblazer but I have no reason to believe that won't be
> equally as good.

Ummm, I suppose to get the 18000+ at a 9600 baud interface rate, you
were sending text files and compression is enabled.  Using uucp
protocols and sending already compressed batches, you'll probably
see about a 700-800 char/sec overall transfer rate at 9600 bps.  Nothing
to complain about, but you'd get at least a 50% improvment by jacking
up the interface rate to 19200 bps.  I'd contact Apollo and see if
they can do something about the 19200.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

rimbold@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu (Rob Rimbold) (02/28/88)

In article <3381@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <130@vader.UUCP> bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) writes:
>>
>> [..stuff deleted..]   Only detail
>> is that Apollo UUCP won't take a speed above 9600 in the L.sys and
>> L-devices files  [..stuff deleted..]
>
>  [..stuff deleted..]   I'd contact Apollo and see if
>they can do something about the 19200.

I doubt that they will. It's a generic problem with UUCP. When I was first
setting up UUCP on my (dare I say it :-) Sun, I had the same problem.
I wanted to use 19200, since we have a physical line to our UUCP partner,
but the UUCP implementation didn't want to handle it..

The partial solution was to add a gettytab entry for the speed 19200, and
change your incoming port in ttys to use 19200. That way, incoming calls
can be had at 19200, but you're still stuck with 9600 for outgoing ones.

BTW: It took Sun about a week to figure out that UUCP wouldn't handle
	19200, and that the problem wasn't in my configuration.. :-)

--
'Rob
    Usenet: rimbold@dino.ulowell.edu