[comp.dcom.modems] snider

jdf@pbhyc.UUCP (Jack Fine) (02/23/88)

Anyone ever heard of snider interface for rs232-c?  If so what is it
and how does it work?

Thanks

Jack

taylor@ecsvax.UUCP (Steven Taylor) (02/29/88)

In article <960@pbhyc.UUCP>, jdf@pbhyc.UUCP (Jack Fine) writes:

> Anyone ever heard of snider interface for rs232-c?  If so what is it
> and how does it work?

As a matter of fact, after working on telecommunications for several years,
I first heard of "Snyder" protocol a few weeks ago.  My understanding is
that the protocol (to use the word loosely, and it is more of a protocol than
an interface) is a protocol which was developed in Bell Labs/AT&T back
in the good old days before there was any difference between the two to
facilitate standard TTY communications between central offices/serving offices.

Evidently it was used primarily for diagnostic and test control.  The name
"Snyder" protocol came from the person who developed it.  Common useage is
found primarily among telco types.

Steve Taylor
Distributed Networking Associates
(919) 292-4444