[comp.dcom.modems] Call Waiting and Telebit Modems

km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) (02/29/88)

I have just made the unpleasant (to me) discovery that when Trailblazer
modems are in PEP mode they are very resistant to carrier drops.
Everyone else may think this is great, but its a problem for me.

I only have one phone line at home and it has call waiting on it. For
years I have taken advantage of the fact that when I am on line with a
modem and a call came in, the carrier would be broken long enough by
the call waiting signal that the modem would drop and I would get my
call.

It looks to me like the Trailblazer just fights through the noise and
tells me nothing about it. The S10 register which normally controls the
"carrier loss to disconnect time" is only effective  in "slow mode" (ie
2400 baud or slower, no PEP).

Any suggestions?

--
Ken Mandelberg      |  {decvax,sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!km  UUCP
Emory University    |  km@emory                             BITNET

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (03/01/88)

In article <2695@emory.uucp> km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>I have just made the unpleasant (to me) discovery that when Trailblazer
>modems are in PEP mode they are very resistant to carrier drops.
>Everyone else may think this is great, but its a problem for me.

Telebit's are VERY resistant to carrier drops to begin with.

When I was testing 'em a couple of months ago I tried to make one
hang up.  I had it on a line that has an extension phone and connected
up to our vax and ran rain (just to have something going on).  Then
went to the extension and started whistling and other things which
would normally make a line hang up.  For most of what I did (which
included dragging out my Casio SK-1 (toy sampling keyboard) and playing
things with the mike on the phone directly above the speaker) all
it would do is slow down rain for a little while.  Finally I got it
to hang up with some determined banging on the keyboard ...

I was *impressed*..

>Any suggestions?

er... a second phone line?  I personally don't like that "feature"
of call-waiting that makes it hang up.  Also, not all modems will hang
up from the call waiting tone -- not even all of the normal 1200
baud modems will...
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (03/03/88)

In article <2695@emory.uucp>, km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) writes:

> I have just made the unpleasant (to me) discovery that when Trailblazer
> modems are in PEP mode they are very resistant to carrier drops.
> Everyone else may think this is great, but its a problem for me.

> Any suggestions?

  Throw it into a pot of boiling water for a few minutes.  If you're lucky, you
  will damage it just enough to bring it down to the functional level of a
  Hayes 1200  :-) * 12   (sorry, couldn't resist....)

    greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

denny@mcmi.UUCP (Dennis Page) (03/04/88)

In article <8479@e.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) writes:
>[...] included dragging out my Casio SK-1 (toy sampling keyboard) and
>playing things with the mike on the phone directly above the speaker
>[...]
>I was *impressed*..

I play Beethoven's fifth to mine.  I got the idea out of some magazine
(they used Wagner).  With the receiver dangling in front of the speaker,
and a volume sufficient for directing ;-), data throughput dropped to
around 5k bits/sec.  I was very impressed as well.  The verdict from my
neighbors is still out. :-)

--
Denny Page

Martha, the Clones are loose again!	Don't just stand there... get a net!