[comp.dcom.modems] AT&T 4024C & Hayes 2400

samperi@mancol.UUCP (Dominick Samperi) (03/26/88)

I just installed an AT&T 4024C modem for use with a 3B2/300, and it seems
to work fine, except for one problem: the 4024 modem must be called 2-3
times before it sends a carrier that my Hayes 2400 understands. Most of the
time when I call the 4024 with my Hayes modem I hear the 4024 answer,
and send what sounds like a carrier (to human ears), but the Hayes modem
does not recognize it. I had the same problem calling with other Hayes
modems. Any ideas?

It was not clear how the dip switches on the 4024 should be set, but I
set them for 2400 Async operation. Perhaps some kind 4024 user (on a
3b2) can send me his/her dip switch settings? Thanks in advance.

I tried things like making my 2400H gettydefs entry point to itself, but
this didn't help. Here is the Dialers entry that I'm using (but I
realize that this shouldn't effect dialins):

4024 =+-, "" \r\c :--: O4=n\r n--n O12=y\r y--y \T\r\c red
--
Dominick Samperi, Manhattan College, NYC
    manhat!samperi@NYU.EDU           ihnp4!rutgers!nyu.edu!manhat!samperi

cmr@m2-net.UUCP (Chuck Rader) (03/30/88)

In article <356@mancol.UUCP> samperi@mancol.UUCP (Dominick Samperi) writes:
>I just installed an AT&T 4024C modem for use with a 3B2/300, and it seems
>to work fine, except for one problem: the 4024 modem must be called 2-3
>times before it sends a carrier that my Hayes 2400 understands. Most of the

The problem may really be on the Hayes side.  We've had problems with Hayes
1200 calling 2400 bps modems because the answering modem often cycles
through several carrier tones either too quickly or too slowly and the Hayes
gives up before it recognizes the tone.

Try increasing the value of Hayes register S7 (seconds to wait for carrier)
and decreasing the value of S9 (1/10 seconds that carrier must be on
continuously before being recognized).  The defaults on Hayes 1200 are S7=30
and S9=6.  I'm not sure if the 2400 defaults are the same.
S9 is the more likely culprit.

I haven't used the 4024 or the Hayes 2400, but the S-register changes are worth
a try.  They do help on Hayes 1200.
--
Chuck Rader, Manager, Computer Technical Services, University of Detroit
voice: 313-927-1349   internet: cmr%m-net@umix.cc.umich.edu