[comp.dcom.modems] Updating Telebit TrailBlazers

modems@telebit.UUCP (Modem Mail Account) (03/15/88)

Many questions have come in as a response to some of our earlier postings.
One of the most common is:

"How can I update my TrailBlazer Plus modems to V4.00?"

To help out the rest of you who might not even know that an update exists,
here is a brief overview of our update policy:

1. We currently offer two update kits. One is for the TrailBlazer modem,
   to provide the UUCP support and bug fixes present in pre-V3.01 code.
   The kit will upgrade your TrailBlazer modem (not the TrailBlazer Plus)
   to V3.01. The kit is part number RA12X-UK3. The cost is $124 for the
   set of four (4) PROMS. So if you have a TrailBlazer without UUCP
   protocol support, order this one.

2. If you have a TrailBlazer Plus (shipping since about November 1987, you
   will by definition have UUCP protocol, but in addition, you will also
   have Lempel-Ziv data compression. In late January 1988, we released an
   upgrade kit for the Plus, to provide improved interactive response.
   If you have a pre-V4.00 TrailBlazer Plus, and you'd like to improve
   the interactive delay NOTICEABLY, order the V4.00 Upgrade Kit, part
   number UK-T18SA. The cost for this two (2) PROM upgrade is $99 per modem.
   Please note that this kit is NOT appropriate for the old TrailBlazer.

3. To order either Upgrade Kit, just call our toll-free number, which is:

                            1-800-TELEBIT

   and tell the person what you want, and how many.

I hope that this helps clear the air about upgrading TrailBlazers.
Thanks to all of you who have responded to the previous postings. I will
try and keep them coming.

Regards,

Richard Siegel                           Phone:                   (408) 996-2644
Senior Systems Engineer                  UUCP:  {uunet,ames,hoptoad}!telebit!rls
Telebit Corporation                      ARPA:  telebit!rls@ames.ARPA

            "When the going gets tough, the weird turn pro"...HST

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (03/15/88)

In article <266@telebit.UUCP> modems@telebit.UUCP (Modem Mail Account) writes:
>2. If you have a TrailBlazer Plus (shipping since about November 1987, you
>   will by definition have UUCP protocol, but in addition, you will also
>   have Lempel-Ziv data compression. In late January 1988, we released an
>   upgrade kit for the Plus, to provide improved interactive response.
>   If you have a pre-V4.00 TrailBlazer Plus, and you'd like to improve
>   the interactive delay NOTICEABLY, order the V4.00 Upgrade Kit, part
>   number UK-T18SA. The cost for this two (2) PROM upgrade is $99 per modem.

This is the one thing about me Telebit that makes me see red!  My modem
was only two months old when they came out with the 'upgrade' (more
like a bug fix, if you ask me), and they want to charge me an
extra $99 bucks.  Anyone with a sense of fair play would come up with an
exchange policy on these EPROMs.

--
		Rick Richardson, President, PC Research, Inc.

(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR     (201) 834-1378 (voice, days)
uunet!pcrat!rick (UUCP)			rick%pcrat.uucp@uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/15/88)

In article <266@telebit.UUCP> modems@telebit.UUCP (Modem Mail Account) writes:
| Many questions have come in as a response to some of our earlier postings.
| One of the most common is:
|
| "How can I update my TrailBlazer Plus modems to V4.00?"

  If I were doing this, I don't think I'd mention it in public.
MultiTech has an upgrade/swap policy which is just over the cost of the
ROMs. Microsoft offers no cost upgrades for 90 days after you buy a
software product. SCO will supply bug fixes (not upgrades) for at least
a year on Xenix.

  I can see a charge for the upgrade to the uucp ROMS, since that is an
added feature, but $99 to fix a problem with interactive usage??

  There is something distasteful about getting a free fix from SCO to
have my 18 month old Xenix work with Trailblazer, and paying a hundred
dollars to make a 90 day old Trailblazer work (in interactive mode) with
Xenix.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

jordan@zooks.ads.com (Jordan Hayes) (03/16/88)

Rick Richardson <rick@pcrat.UUCP> writes:

	My modem was only two months old when they came out with the
	'upgrade' (more like a bug fix, if you ask me), and they want
	to charge me an extra $99 bucks.

I agree that there should be some better shake than a hundred bucks,
but make no mistake, this was not a "bug fix" -- it was a pretty big
deal from what i've heard.  Further, not everyone is using these things
for interactive use.  It remains to be seen what effect, if any, the
addition of a third packet size will have on SLIP performance (i'm
waiting for some 4.0's to check it out) fer instance.

You probably also think the USENET price of $700 was too high ...

/jordan

wayne@teemc.UUCP (//ichael R. //ayne) (03/16/88)

In article <505@pcrat.UUCP> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>In article <266@telebit.UUCP> modems@telebit.UUCP (Modem Mail Account) writes:
->2. If you have a TrailBlazer Plus (shipping since about November 1987, you
->   will by definition have UUCP protocol, but in addition, you will also
->   have Lempel-Ziv data compression. In late January 1988, we released an
->   upgrade kit for the Plus, to provide improved interactive response.
->   If you have a pre-V4.00 TrailBlazer Plus, and you'd like to improve
->   the interactive delay NOTICEABLY, order the V4.00 Upgrade Kit, part
->   number UK-T18SA. The cost for this two (2) PROM upgrade is $99 per modem.

>This is the one thing about me Telebit that makes me see red!  My modem
>was only two months old when they came out with the 'upgrade' (more
>like a bug fix, if you ask me), and they want to charge me an
>extra $99 bucks.  Anyone with a sense of fair play would come up with an
>exchange policy on these EPROMs.

	I agree about that this is a bad policy and complained directly
to Telebit about it (one would think that free exchange on EPROMs for a
year would be reasonable).  They did not seem supportive of this notion.
My suggestion is to find yourself somebody with 4.0 firmware and a PROM
burner.  Note, however, that you really should keep your original EPROMs
around so that you can put them in if you need service.  I find it very,
very strange that Telebit would take this type of stand considering how
reasonable they are on everything else.

/\/\ \/\/
--
Michael R. Wayne      ---      TMC & Associates      ---      wayne@teemc.uucp
INTERNET: wayne%teemc.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu            uunet!umix!teemc!wayne

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (03/16/88)

In article <3034@zodiac.UUCP> jordan@ads.com (Jordan Hayes) writes:

>You probably also think the USENET price of $700 was too high ...

Nope.  ~$700 was right on the ball.  Even ~$800 right off
the bat would have been OK.  The point is that 2 months
after I bought the modem they were shipping V4.00 EPROMS
for *free* in new modems, but they were *selling* 4.00 EPROMS
for old modems with the usual 500% markup (two 27512's == $20).
--

dsc@izimbra.CSS.GOV (get his coffin ready, 'cause johnny coming home) (03/17/88)

In article <3034@zodiac.UUCP> jordan@ads.com (Jordan Hayes) writes:
>for interactive use.  It remains to be seen what effect, if any, the
>addition of a third packet size will have on SLIP performance (i'm
>waiting for some 4.0's to check it out) fer instance.

between two sun 3/160s running 3.4 plus the latest tcp & slip code from
berkeley (ie, the `tahoe' release), we saw a throughput of 10 kbaud
using brl's `ttcp' program (1k packets over a tcp connection).  the
trailblazers in question were running the 4.0 firmware (compression was
on) and were connected to the suns' `zs' ports at 19.2 kbaud.

dsc

> ... and they want to charge me an
> extra $99 bucks.  Anyone with a sense of fair play would come up with an
> exchange policy on these EPROMs.

I doubt that Telebit is making a bundle on those upgrades.  Servicing this
sort of request takes more time and effort than you'd think.  (Note, I am
not claiming that it couldn't be cheaper, just that anyone who thinks it
should be free is an optimist.)
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

SNELSON@STL-HOST1.ARPA (03/17/88)

Oh, I don't know about that, but....I figure $99-124 is right in line when
you consider brain sweat, prepping the chip, packaging, handling and shipping.

Steve

faunt@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM (Doug Faunt) (03/18/88)

I would like to suggest to Telebit that they provide a "license to
upgrade" price, which would be permission to copy the upgraded
firmware.  It would certainly help large sites with large numbers of
modems, and also very small sites (like my home).  I appreciate
their action in lowering the cost of the upgrade for the "USEnet
offer".  How long is that in effect?

wayne@teemc.UUCP (//ichael R. //ayne) (03/18/88)

In article <1988Mar17.002759.1127@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> ... and they want to charge me an
>> extra $99 bucks.  Anyone with a sense of fair play would come up with an
>> exchange policy on these EPROMs.
>
>I doubt that Telebit is making a bundle on those upgrades.  Servicing this
>sort of request takes more time and effort than you'd think.  (Note, I am
>not claiming that it couldn't be cheaper, just that anyone who thinks it
>should be free is an optimist.)

	Well, I for one, think that it could be free.  Examine my logic and
tell me where I err:

	1) I am going to presume that the cost of developing the new software
is absorbed by the company (staying competitive, new sales, etc.).  Therefore
the DEVELOPMENT cost of the upgrade is $0.00.
	2) I agree that servicing the requests is time-consuming (but you
can dup a LOT of EPROMs for $99).  Rather than doing that, how about a
posting of the (Intel Hex | Motorola S-records | other-standard-format) to
one of the newsgroups or some other, generally available forum.  Cost to
Telebit would be 1-2 hours labor.  I think that this is a perfect application
of a biz newsgroup.  I suspect that most people could find SOMEbody they know
that could download the new programs and burn EPROMs.

	Telebit is a fine company that has an exciting technology.  Their
Usenet offer was a great idea (I bought 2 modems at half price and have sold
clients on 8 more so far).  The modems make economic sense, the technology
works, the company is most helpful in correcting problems.  I only wish that
they would give a bit more consideration to the "little guy" who is willing
to spend time to save money.  In addition to this viewpoint, it can be
difficult to get a $100 purchase order through the system at a large company.

	NOTE:  I did suggest this to Telebit immediately after getting my
modems and hearing that an upgrade was in the works.  Their position was that
they could not determine the effectiveness of a PROM burner at a user site
and they did not want their product to suffer.  Personally, I think that
anyone who is willing to rip open the modems, remove the EPROMs, erase them,
program with the new code and reinsert them (voiding warrenty, of course)
is not going to be a problem.

/\/\ \/\/
--
Michael R. Wayne      ---      TMC & Associates      ---      wayne@teemc.uucp
INTERNET: wayne%teemc.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu            uunet!umix!teemc!wayne

roberts@edsews.EDS.COM (Ted Roberts) (03/19/88)

One problem I've got with the upgrade is that quite a few of the sites that
I communicate with are asking me how good a modem the TB+ is.  We got ours
in November so we have the 3.01 firmware.  Some of them are looking for a
good modem for interactive use and I can now tell them that the TB is quite
good in this area.  However, I also have to tell them that they may want to
wait a few months and get a better product for the same price, since Telebit
may add more features.  I appreciate that Telebit is soliciting suggestions
from the net on what features to add next (I sure can't think of a better
place), but if I was looking into buying one right now I'd be quite curious
about whether waiting would save me money.

This is assuming that I got the same great half-price deal then that we got
on ours in December.  How about it Telebit, planning to extend the deadline
for those who waited and can now cash in on V4.00:-)
--
Ted Roberts                         |  My opinions are not necessarily those
EDS Technical Services Division     |  of my employer.  Does that mean I'm

pim@ctisbv.UUCP (Pim Zandbergen) (03/21/88)

In article <505@pcrat.UUCP> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>In article <266@telebit.UUCP> modems@telebit.UUCP (Modem Mail Account) writes:
>>   If you have a pre-V4.00 TrailBlazer Plus, and you'd like to improve
>>   the interactive delay NOTICEABLY, order the V4.00 Upgrade Kit, part
>>   number UK-T18SA. The cost for this two (2) PROM upgrade is $99 per modem.
>
>This is the one thing about me Telebit that makes me see red!  My modem
>was only two months old when they came out with the 'upgrade'.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My luck is even worse! The brandnew TB+ that i received *last week* still
has the 3.0 firmware. According to the importer, the 4.0 firmware
has not yet passed the approval of the Dutch telephone company.
It's not sure when the 4.0 firmware will be approved, but it is sure I will
have to pay $$ for an upgrade. Sigh...

--
--------------------+------------------------------------+---------------------
Pim Zandbergen      | CTI Software BV                    | Phone: +31 70 542302

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (03/22/88)

My distributor told me that Telebit told him that 'blazers purchased
after 1/1/88 would be upgraded free.  I expect that that holds for
foreign purchasers as well.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

> 	2) I agree that servicing the requests is time-consuming (but you
> can dup a LOT of EPROMs for $99)...

You obviously have never been in charge of actually *doing* software
distribution.  The big cost is not media duplication or postage, but
man-hours:  all the manual effort involved in deciphering, approving,
preparing, and shipping orders, and dealing with problems.  This takes
far more time and hassle than you can possibly imagine if you haven't
done it (I have).

It certainly would make life easier for Telebit if they could distribute
their updates electronically.  This doesn't necessarily mean distributing
them free of charge, as witness the AT&T Software Toolchest.  *HOWEVER*,
do remember that a lot of the smarts in the Trailblazers are in software,
not hardware.  Telebit may have decided that it's just as well if it takes
a bit of effort to get a look at the bits.
--
"Noalias must go.  This is           |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
non-negotiable."  --DMR              | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

edm@nwnexus.UUCP (Ed Morin) (03/26/88)

In article <635@teemc.UUCP> wayne@teemc.UUCP (/\/\ichael R. \/\/ayne) writes:
>they could not determine the effectiveness of a PROM burner at a user site
>and they did not want their product to suffer.  Personally, I think that
>anyone who is willing to rip open the modems, remove the EPROMs, erase them,

 (Smart people would NOT blow away their old EPROMS...)           ^^^^^^^^^^^

>program with the new code and reinsert them (voiding warrenty, of course)

Just using the old EPROMS still doesn't "determine the effectiveness of a
PROM burner" - and there are some real kludges out there.  Can you imagine
Telebit having to deal with all the folks who think their homemade EPROM
burner is working fine when it really was that RS-232 cable with the cold
solder joints that caused a glitch in the programming or the "new" EPROMS
that had been reused for years finally slipped bit thus triggering a few
phone calls to Telebit, etc.

I personally think that $100 is a lot of money (maybe justified) for a set
of EPROMS.  I also think that the USENET "deal" is swell (I took advantage
of it too) and hope that there may be a way for Telebit to continue with
the tradition (at least for updates).

Ed Morin
Northwest Nexus Inc.
"Public Access Unix for the Masses"
18704 - 142nd Ave. N.E.
Woodinville, WA  98072
edm@nwnexus.UUCP

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (03/30/88)

<<Should I buy it now?>>

Yes.  Telebit will probably be providing improvements on a regular
basis, but if you keep waiting, then you'll never have a modem will
you?

Versus costs of other computer accessories, the cost of the
firmware upgrade isn't that hard to swallow.  Go for it.

By the way, I've done a little fine tuning to uucp (like finally
getting HDB uucp on my end), and I've been able to get sustainable
throughputs of 880 char/sec between a bsd 4.2 vax sporting a
Telebit and my 3b1 with a Telebit Plus.

And yes, the version 4.00 firmware fixes bugs.  Namely in MNP
protocol recognition.  I have not been able to get the TB with the
ver 3.?? firmware on the vax to recognize MNP connections from
anything but another TB or TB+ modem.  The version 4 software seems
to work properly, and has been tested with an AT&T CEO modem and a
US Robotics HST.  I would have given it a shot with the Microcom
9624, but the 9624 suffered a massive coronary after only about 10
minutes of operation-- too bad.

And -- please let's forget the idea about duplicating the EPROMs;
please buy them.  If it were my work, I'd be rather upset if
somebody blatatnly pirated it like that.  The USEnet deal is a good
thing, let's not irritate Telebit and blow it.

--Bill