[comp.dcom.modems] Setting AT command S regs in L.sys

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (03/30/88)

In article <3549@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <399@vsi1.UUCP> lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) writes:
>> In L.sys: octopus Any ACUHAYES 19200 fast99731831 ogin:...
>> In L-dialcodes: fast S50=255DT
>>
>> This works because the Hayes dialer only prepends an "AT" when the first
>> character in the number is a "S".
>Yes, this is kinda true, but I think the logic is backwards - it's more
>like uucico only prepends "DT" to the phone number when the phone number
>is "numeric".  I don't have sun sources online at the moment to check.
>
>Note that such action may be sun/release specific.  Where the dialer isn't
>senstive to prefixes on the number, you can be nasty and code a couple of
>control/h's (backspaces) into the dialcodes file to "erase" the "DT" that
>the dialer may have sent prior to the "number".

Actually, you're both a little bit right and a little bit wrong. What
Larry is doing works, but it is actually better than you might think,
and much more general:

The Hayes dialer puts out the 'ATDT' before your number no matter what
you have in L-dialcodes. Larry's string translates into:

	ATDTS50=255DT99731831

And this works just fine! The modem 'Dials Tone' nothing, then sets the
S50 register, then 'Dials Tone' the real phone number. This should work
with *any* AT-command-compatible modem. And the prefix-translation trick
should work just fine with any uucp implementation that has an L-dialcodes
file.

This is a great way to get around all kinds of interesting limitations in
L.sys interpretations of what a 'phone number' is. Once I had to pulse-dial
a '9' to get past initial dialtone, then wait for second dialtone (using
'W' that's available on lots of modems), then pulse dial sprint, wait for
another dialtone, tone dial the access code, and tone dial the phone number:

L.sys:	foosys Any ACU 1200 Psprint9995551212 ogin:...
L-dialcodes: Psprint DP9W7671111WDT1234567

Really the only thing that I *don't* like about this is that the dial code
has to be a *prefix*. Nothing allowed in the middle of the phone number.
But dialcodes *do* seem to allow just about anything as a dialing string.

Pete
--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014