[comp.dcom.modems] Dialer support for Telebit

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (03/25/88)

Richard Siegal from Telebit recently posted a description of how to properly
connect a Trailblazer to a Sun.  The problem that I have with the dialing
method in the L.sys file is that ANY failure shows as FAILED(LOGIN) in the
log file.  I have uncovered an undocumented feature in SunOS3.x uucp (and
possibly BSD 4.x) that allows you to use the built-in dialers.  The following
is a sample line from my L.sys:

octopus Any ACUHAYES 19200 fast99731831 ogin:--ogin: uuvsi1 assword: xyzzy

The line indicates that uucico should use the Hayes dialer to dial
"fast99731831".  Since octopus has S92=1, I need to set S50=255.  In the
L-dialcodes file I have:

fast S50=255DT

This works because the Hayes dialer only prepends an "AT" when the first
character in the number is a "S".  The reason that you can't just put
"S50=255DT99731831" in the L.sys is because if uucico sees a letter as
the first character in the number, it tries to apply a dialcode by that
name.
----
*   *   O     Larry Blair
  *   *   O   VICOM Systems Inc.     sun!pyramid----\
    *   *   O 2520 Junction Ave.     uunet!ubvax----->!vsi1!lmb
  *   *   O   San Jose, CA  95134    ucbvax!tolerant/
*   *   O     +1-408-432-8660

In article <399@vsi1.UUCP> lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) writes:

> octopus Any ACUHAYES 19200 fast99731831 ogin:--ogin: uuvsi1 assword: xyzzy
>
> The line indicates that uucico should use the Hayes dialer to dial
> "fast99731831".  Since octopus has S92=1, I need to set S50=255.  In the
> L-dialcodes file I have:
>
> fast S50=255DT
>
> This works because the Hayes dialer only prepends an "AT" when the first
> character in the number is a "S".

Yes, this is kinda true, but I think the logic is backwards - it's more
like uucico only prepends "DT" to the phone number when the phone number
is "numeric".  I don't have sun sources online at the moment to check.

Note that such action may be sun/release specific.  Where the dialer isn't
senstive to prefixes on the number, you can be nasty and code a couple of
control/h's (backspaces) into the dialcodes file to "erase" the "DT" that
the dialer may have sent prior to the "number".

Finally, some uucp's, notably Ultrix, translate equal signs in the phone
number to some other character, comma I think, which screws up the approach
unless you go an patch uucico...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

In article <3549@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

> Yes, this is kinda true, but I think the logic is backwards - it's more
> like uucico only prepends "DT" to the phone number when the phone number
> is "numeric".  I don't have sun sources online at the moment to check.

All right, sources back on-line, I prepare to eat my words.  If the first
character of the "phone number" is 'S' then the dialer routime prepends
only "AT", elsewise it prepends the normal "ATDT" characters.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr