[comp.dcom.modems] Avatex 1200 Problems

elron@bsu-cs.UUCP (James P. Campbell) (03/29/88)

I have recently have had problems with an Avatex 1200 modem.  It will not
pick up carrier on a BBS I call quite often.  The Sysop recently switched
modems he was running the board with.  It is currently being run with a
MultiTech 224E.  It is a 300/1200/2400.  I should have no problems in
connecting, but my modem refuses to connect.  I can hear the signal clearly
over the phone line, but I can not force my modem to originate.  Has anyone
else ever had problems with an Avatex when trying to connect to a 2400 baud
board.  I have tried calling Avatex's hotline , but they just have a answering
machine, and they haven't returned my call in 2 weeks.
Any help will be appreciated.
Jim Campbell

--
If you don't agree with what I post then it's good your not my employer.
I have no Idea on how to get ahold of me.  All I have to do is login.

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (TCC Software Developer) (04/02/88)

In article <2485@bsu-cs.UUCP> elron@bsu-cs.UUCP (James P. Campbell) writes:
>I have recently have had problems with an Avatex 1200 modem.  It will not
>pick up carrier on a BBS I call quite often.  The Sysop recently switched
>modems he was running the board with.  It is currently being run with a
>MultiTech 224E.

James,
	I suspect that your problem originates in the fact that the BBS system
has changed over to Multitech. Our system uses 2 Multitech 224E's and I noticed
a problem connecting to certain systems. The origin of the problem is probably
the MNP protocol. In addition to the normal signal there is some data sent out
by the multitech to determine whether the other modem does MNP or not. On
certain non-MNP modems this data causes the problem you are seeing. What we had
to do was to disable the MNP mode on the modems to effect connection in those
cases, and those connections were valuable enough to justify this.
	What I would suggest is that you contact the mentioned Sysop and see if
he would be willing to turn off MNP (he should know how) and then see if your
problem goes away. Short of doing that I don't know that there's anything else
you will be able to do, except buy a Multitech yourself :-}.

					Good luck,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (04/04/88)

In article <162@turnkey.TCC.COM> jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:

>James,
>	I suspect that your problem originates in the fact that the BBS system
>has changed over to Multitech. Our system uses 2 Multitech 224E's and I noticed
>a problem connecting to certain systems. The origin of the problem is probably
>the MNP protocol. In addition to the normal signal there is some data sent out
>by the multitech to determine whether the other modem does MNP or not. On

Someone feel free to correct me, but I believe the MNP startup is sent
only by the calling modem. I have had to disable MNP on some outgoing
calls, but have never (yet) seen a problem incoming. However, this could
happen if the sysop has set the MNP mode to "force" rather than "auto."
The auto mode is the one intended for access by all modems, while force
mode is for connections so bad that protocol negotiation fails.

When calling into a non-MNP UNIX system with an MNP modem, after the
connection takes place, the MNP modem sends a burst which says "Hey!
Would ya like to talk MNP?" If the remote system is fast enough to have
asked for a login at that point, it will accecpt the noise as an unknown
UID  and the connection will usually get completely out of sync. With a
human on the other end it is often possible to recover.

I think that asking to disable MNP might defeat the reason for buying
them, but certainly asking for auto mode (AT&E=1) is reasonable. Let us
know what happens.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)