[comp.dcom.modems] trailblazers and HP3000

battle@UMBC3.UMD.EDU (Mr. Rick Battle) (04/09/88)

Does anyone have any experience or ideas on how to connect
to HP3000's over the PSTN using Trailblazers as a backup
connection if the 3002 VGC should fail?

This is a host to host using HP DS, not a terminal connection.

Thanks in advance for any info.

donegan@stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) (04/12/88)

In article <KPETERSEN.12389486381.BABYL@SIMTEL20.ARPA>, battle@UMBC3.UMD.EDU (Mr. Rick Battle) writes:
> Does anyone have any experience or ideas on how to connect
> to HP3000's over the PSTN using Trailblazers as a backup
> connection if the 3002 VGC should fail?
> This is a host to host using HP DS, not a terminal connection.
> Thanks in advance for any info.

The Trailblazer will not (yet) work with the synchronous format HP DS. Support
for synchronous protocols has been requested of Telebit and they appear to be
willing to consider the idea, I believe that they already support SDLC for IBM
systems, but do not yet support HDLC for X.25 and HP-3000 DS. Until they do
support this you can use a cheaper modem (even a Hayes 2400 in sync mode, I've
done it).

--
Steven P. Donegan
Sr. Telecommunications Analyst

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (04/14/88)

In article <10@stanton.TCC.COM> donegan@stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) writes:
>The Trailblazer will not (yet) work with the synchronous format HP DS. Support
>for synchronous protocols has been requested of Telebit and they appear to be
>willing to consider the idea, I believe that they already support SDLC for IBM
>systems, but do not yet support HDLC for X.25 and HP-3000 DS. Until they do
>support this you can use a cheaper modem (even a Hayes 2400 in sync mode, I've
>done it).

Expect to see a synchronous modem from Telebit before years end.
--
lyndon  {alberta,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA